Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report Civil Disob-er...if you see it, report it videos now coming to Wal-Mart

Report Civil Disob-er...if you see it, report it videos now coming to Wal-Mart

http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1291648380371.shtm

Anyone else find this a bit..disturbing?

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1291648380371.shtm

Anyone else find this a bit..disturbing?
    Why do you find it disturbing?
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I actually think it's ok... all it does is remind people of the right they have and natural instinct they SHOULD already have to act in an appropriate manner if they see something suspicious. You and I and EVERYONE has had and will have that right and capacity to do just that. All this is is a reminder program as I see it.

You never called your local police office or sheriff's office to report something out of the ordinary? I have and will continue to do so. Sometimes I call them to report myself while spotting. I see myself doing something suspicious so I usually shortcut the process, report myself and then the cops come, check me out and leave me alone for the rest of the session
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway View Post
    Why do you find it disturbing?
    It bears a very striking resemblance to those 1984-ish movies where you see videos in public gathering spaces that talk about 'civil protection begins with you' and 'report civil disobedience'. Plus it can generate paranoia, people reporting non-events, as well as just seems to promote civil spying.
    Last edited by Perriwen; 2010-12-06 at 06:36 PM.

I have no issues..........I am vigilant, if I see anything strange..........I would report it to. Better to be safe then sorry.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Mark, I report you all the time... but no one seems to think you're any danger to the community
    Manny Gonzalez

I'm all for speaking up when seeing something. I do it myself as well. The reason there is a problem with this is that asking civilians to report suspicious behaviors related to terrorism when they haven't had any training will lead to an excess of false positives, which means a lot of wasted time and effort. Look at how many times we get the cops called on us, and we're just enjoying our hobby. However, if any of us had nefarious motives, we wouldn't be out in the open like we are when taking photos, right? If I wanted to "recon" the airport to look for security vulnerabilities I sure wouldn't do it by parking on Hog Island Rd with my big-ass camera.

This initiative also smacks of the same type of environment that the Salem Witch Trials occurred in, where people turned on each other instead of getting smart to handle the real problems. People fed a steady diet of fear are much more likely to report what THEY think is suspicious behavior, when they have no idea what to look for. We all say we would report when we see something suspicious, but there's quite a degree of variability in the judgement of all the Joe Six Packs out there. I bet there's a lot of people out there in Reader's Digest-land that think terrorists wear rags and turbans(look at how uncomfortable a planeload of people gets when more than 2 men in Muslim attire board a flight).

For example, Janet says "Beware of suspicious activity in the parking lot!" But she does not say what behaviors to look out for- the parent disciplining their child with a spank for throwing a tantrum in the store? The group of teenagers wearing "hoodies" and milling about on the side of the store, looking like they're "up to no good"? Or the man that nonchalantly set down a package by the entrance before strolling casually back to his car, acting like he forgot something? Which of these situations will draw your attention more?

And rolling it out with Wal-Mart, of all places- jeez louise. While they have some decent prices, the place ain't really a hotbed of sophisticated discourse, folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czoww...layer_embedded

The video is up on Youtube... already it has 314 DISLIKES to 10 LIKES... and now you can't add to more dislikes because
    "This feature is not available right now. Please try again later." LOL....

Report suspicious behavior to your Walmart Manager...
    "Keep 'em Flying"

It seems very out of place in a Wal-Mart.

Program Coordinator
    It bears a very striking resemblance to those 1984-ish movies
    Bingo.

Report suspicious behavior to: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czoww...layer_embedded

The video is up on Youtube... already it has 314 DISLIKES to 10 LIKES... and now you can't add to more dislikes because
    "This feature is not available right now. Please try again later." LOL....

Report suspicious behavior to your Walmart Manager...
    Youtube was undergoing maintence tonight, and comments and ratings were down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Report suspicious behavior to: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?page_id=9798

Priceless!
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by heeshung View Post
    It seems very out of place in a Wal-Mart.
    Considering in most Walmarts in rural areas you can get anything I would think it is appropriate.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

It's now:

46 LIke to 1580 dislike

Big Sis is on the march! maybe looking to catch some domestic "extremists"
    "Keep 'em Flying"