Thread: Question: First DSLR help

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Question: First DSLR help

Hey,

So I've decided that the Canon EOS Rebel T2i is going to be my first DSLR and now that is out of the way I am having trouble picking out accessories for it because it looks like there are way too many out on the market. I was wondering if anyone can help?

Memory Cards

Even though the T2i can accept SDXC cards they are too expensive at the moment because they are all high end cards also my SD card reader only reads up to SDHC specs and that means I would have to get an SDXC card reader to take advantage of the extra speed. Anyway it looks like I am going to settle for an SDHC card.

I am tossed up between these two:

Kingston 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity Class 10 Flash Card Model SD10/32GB

Patriot LX 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model PSF32GSDHC10

I am tossed up because both of the cards have the same capacity and rating. I have never used Patriot before but right now I am using a 4GB Kingston and I have never had problems and it has good read/write speed for a class 4 card. Also the Patriot has a 5 year warranty while the Kingston has a Lifetime warranty.

So do any of you guys use Kingston or Patriot as your memory card? Is it worth the extra money for the Kingston? I am planning on shooting 1080P video with the camera.

I have also used Sandisk and they are a great brand also.

Lenses

I am looking for budget lenses just to start me off and then I'll probably upgrade from there. I am looking for an everyday shooting lens as well as a telephoto for aviation,sporting events ect;.

As far as the everyday lens I was thinking the stock lens would be good enough.

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Standard Zoom Lenses

Would this be good enough?

As far as a telephoto I'm torn between these three:

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Telephoto Zoom Lens

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens

I only see minor differences between all three of them. Which one would give me the most bang for my buck? Is there another brand in the same price range that would give me a better value?

Carrying cases

The T2i comes with a PELICAN 1200-000-110 Black Small Hardware Case but I was thinking of getting something more accessible. I read the reviews for the Canon 9320A018 Starter Kit for EOS Rebel T2i and it looks like the bag is well made and it comes with an extra battery and micro HDMI cable. So is it worth getting the battery and the cable separate and getting a different bag? What's your opinion?

Cleaning Kit

I was looking at cleaning kits and these are the two that stood out:

LENMAR DCK1000 Digital Camera Starter Kit

Canon Optical Lens and Digital SLR Camera Cleaning Kit with Brush, Microfiber Cloth, Fluid & Tissue + Blower + Lenspen Sensor Filter Cleaner

So is it worth getting the more expensive kit? Could I get away with the cheaper one? Should I get the cheaper one and then get it professionally cleaned every year?

Misc
    I was wondering if I really needed these two items?

DOLICA LCDPRO30 LCD Screen Protector for 3.0" Screen w/ LCD cleaning cloth

ZEIKOS ZE-FLK58 58mm Professional MULTI-COATED Glass Filter Kit

If you see anything that would be a better buy than what I posted please post it here. Also if there was anything that I was missing please let me know.

Also if you see anything anywhere cheaper please let me know also even though I would like to stick with Newegg since I have store credit.

Thank you,
    Kenneth
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Although I don't shoot with a Canon, I think you should consider the following lens: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens I think this would suit you fine, because it will give you some wide angle as well as a little zoom. Remember that a 50mm lens is equivalent to what your eye sees. For sports and spotting I would consider this lens: EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens (this lens has Image Stabilization, which I think is very helpful). Definitely recommend getting an extra battery. Depending who you talk to some folks like myself recommend getting a UV filters for your lens to protect your lens, while others like to shoot naked (lens without a filter).

Please wait for some Canon users to chime in and congrats on your purchase.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

I do not like the Non IS Canon 300 zooms that you have listed... The IS is nice but expensive, I have seen a much nicer picture with the Tamron 70-300 Macro DI glass. I think it give better image quality than all of the Canon's including the IS for $600 (But the 3 stop is and USM is SWEET)

I do not understand why you are buying such a big card right off the bat, a 8gig should be fine or a 16gig if you plan on taking all raw but I think that is insane to store all kinds of large images like that. (might be good for HD video)

I would HIGHLY recommended the nifty fifty Canon 50MM F1.8 Mark II as it will allow for excellent low light shots.. (you can walk around Manhattan at night hand holding a 50MM and you will not need a tripod......really)
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Depending who you talk to some folks like myself recommend getting a UV filters for your lens to protect your lens, while others like to shoot naked (lens without a filter).

Please wait for some Canon users to chime in and congrats on your purchase.
    I would put a UV filter on a very expensive L lens but hate them and do not use them. I have a few that I had used and I threw a couple away. FLARE's are not worth it, cheap glass in front of my lens made my images softer.. I keep one for beach use only but have never scratched a lens in and I have had many in the past 5 years. The outer glass is very hard and it is very difficult to scratch unless you are really trying hard! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY unless your spending $2000 on a big white L lens.

50% of pro's recommend them for protection and the 50% that do not use them, I have never seen a photographer that had glass scratched and now use's UV filters!!! for $30 a pop you can for 3 filters buy a nifty Fifty in stead!

do not bother with the plastic clear LCD film, I have some for you and I can also lend you and 8gb SD card so you can find a good one on sale in the next month or two. I can meet you anytime. Second battery? that is a really good Idea too

my $ .02
    Last edited by Derf; 2010-12-03 at 11:36 PM.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

i like fred's input...the IS is nearly a must once you've shot with it...personally, I shoot a 70-200 f/2.8L IS and 300mm f/4L IS...both were VERY considerable investments so I protect them at all times with high quality multi-coated filters and I can't see any loss of quality. It may not be necessary as Fred said it takes a LOT to scratch one of those front elements, but it's my personal insurance policy. I also shoot with lens hoods no matter what condition or lens...helps prevent flair (especially with smaller aperatures and longer exposures in lower light).

I also prefer to use smaller memory cards. I have a 1gig and a 4gig and both serve me well. I always format them after a shoot so as to prevent fragmented files from building up on them and risking corrupting data for when I catch wunala in my next lifetime. In addition, I've found that using smaller cards (while still being able to hold all of my shots from the day with plenty of room to spare), it gives me more motivation to make every shot the highest quality i can so as to avoid the "spray and pray" method and hoping to get that one good one of the pack. (I do take multiple pictures of each plane just as insurance, but the motivation is still there...i swear!).

Another new lens that Canon just released is (I believe) the 18-200. I can't remember the aperature range on it but for a street sweeper of a lens, it seems like a good buy.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

The above advice is PRICELSS... not much to add

My input...

--NO FILTERS unless you need them for creative use. I mean, Polarizer if you want to and ND etc. Or CC filters when needed. Otherwise, NAKED ;-) Why put cheap glass in front of expensive glass?

--CF/SD cards. Don't Forget about your TRANSFER speed on the computer end. Get the best and fastest cards you can get. Don;t spend twice: Once on Cheap and then eventually more on better cards

--Your best cleaning purchase will be two or three microfiber cleaning cloths and an antistatic brush of some sort. Everything else will be left at home for WHEN you need it. Then you WILL NEED at some point a wet cleaning kit. Do NOT skimp here... I prefer Visible Dust (EXPENSIVE) products. Worth the money!

--You WILL BECOME like a woman when it comes to carrying bags and such. I have as many camera bags as my wife has purses... you come up with your own conclusions

--I am not gay (well, just in case the above somehow... never mind ... LOL)
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    .......--You WILL BECOME like a woman when it comes to carrying bags and such. I have as many camera bags as my wife has purses... you come up with your own conclusions

--I am not gay (well, just in case the above somehow... never mind ... LOL)
    DO NOT MAKE FUN OF MY MAN BAG!!!! (that was a manly beer drinking wink!)

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    Sorry about the late reply I've been busy all day.

Wow, thanks guys for all the info I really learned a lot.

So as far as lenses it looks like I'll buy these two to start out:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens

TAMRON AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro (1:2) Lens For Canon

I don't think I'll use the UV filter unless I can find it dirt cheap just to try it out.

I will probably get the Canon bag also.

Fred- The reason why I want such a high capacity is because I plan on using the 1080P video feature and I know that eats up a lot of memory. I do have two 4GB cards I could start out with and if I feel like I need more memory I could always wait for a sale and get a bigger card.

Also I am planning on going to the AAM at around 12PM tomorrow and if you are going to be in the area when can meet up then. I'm probably not going to be getting the camera for another two weeks or so. So I have time.

Thanks again very much.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

hey guys...just remember with regards to the camera bags...

"It's not a purse, its a satchel. Indiana Jones had one."
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?