Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I bow to Randall Johnson

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    LOL.

Too bad the Anet screeners had no sense of humor. The shot was creative IMHO but the title was the icing on the cake!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Last night, I wrote an impassioned editorial that took 40 minutes to compose about this issue. But, because my evening drink of choice is scotch, I didn't realize that when I went to post it my login had timed out and I lost the entire post. I was mad until today when I realized, I've said everything I need to say about this issue on the Anet thread "coping with rejections"(which is still going strong after over 100 posts). All I can say here is, if I spent what little time I have to be doing this obsessing over "motive" and "noise", I've missed the point entirely.

I had also included the same thing Dahemody mentioned about what seemed to be meant by the term "real photographer". I think that at least initially, that comment was totally misinterpreted.

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Now I am still calling major BS on Jeremy's claim that anet encourages cookie cutting photography. He does this because he thinks anet is a living thing capable of controlling photogs actions. Is it? Of course not. Just because a majority of uploads don't fit his "outside the box" vision of what av-photo should be doesn't make it so. In fact you take the time to search the DB you will find plenty of shot that fit his criteria. Do many get rejected? Of course, does it cause many to stop trying? Probably but that is life. It's out of anet's control and if you prefer flicker fine go ahead, knock yourself out. Reading his rant about anet not encouraging something,
    And this is where I disagree with you, here is an example of a shot that Jeremy tempted with A.Net and was rejected just for motive-
    http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image111232.html
    Honestly that was all they could come up with, now somebody like Royal uploads it and it is accepted no problems at all. So that is where I agree with him in A.Net doesn't accept creative shots unless you are one of there favorites and in the "club."

And I still plan on posting on there but I understand Jeremy's frustration with the site being inconsistent with everyone unless you are one of there favorites.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    So that is where I agree with him in A.Net doesn't accept creative shots unless you are one of there favorites and in the "club."
    This is complete garbage. If this is true how does Florian's creative shots get in? Trust me he has slagged the site more than you guys and he has no trouble. The shot you posted of Jeremy's is a great shot but anet has a long standing thing with people in shots that block the aircraft. It's their thing whether you agree or not. If that shot just had the aircraft in the frame it would be an instant add. Again this has nothing to do with "real photographers" or "cookie cutters" or favortism. It's just a rant from a photographer that can't stand his phtotos getting rejected.

I just checked Royals work and don't see any shots the same as the one Jeremy got rejected, except of course maybe this one?

I think it may have gotten accepted for other reasons but now you owe Royal an apology as well as the rest of the "fake photographers" out there that are cookie cutters.

Again if you want to insult the living heck out of people the least you could do is start to provide some examples because so far all you have been doing is yelling fire in a crowded theatre.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Program Coordinator
    I've been quiet for a little while but feel the need to clarify the difference between where this thread started and where this thread is now:

1) This thread was about whether Randall was the best or one of the best photogs out there. Others chimed in with their thoughts so I did so with mine: I said he was good, and his skill level excellent, but not my favorite or the best out there. That's my opinion, and I suggested a handful of folks who I thought offered a portfolio's who appeal more to me. I also added that, due to my opinion on a.net limiting a lot of what can potentially be out there for composition, there may be an incomplete picture of Randall that I'm seeing. Anyways, that's all been said but it's time to re-iterate it a final time.

2) The thread is now about, at least through Nick's posts and replies to his posts, whether a.net allows creative shots, the fact that I said I would quit on facebook in a status update that I made to family & friends, and his insistence to not let go of the fact that he is incorrectly interpreting most of what I said. I'll leave the latter alone because it isn't worth persuing, but the other two need at least something from me. My facebook post about quitting a.net, which was not discussed here by me, is not (and I know you won't believe it Nick but whatever) related to my opinion of Randall as a photog based on what I saw of his on a.net - I would say the same thing again whether I was leaving the a.net community or not. I quit a.net because of many things, some of which I won't get into here but yes, I'm also tired of rejections for various things, creativity especially - but as I believe Nick has pointed out in other forums before and has basically said here it is what it is so either take it or leave it. I'm leaving it - I feel no need to be validated by their accepting my shots and I feel no need to get mired into the mess that otherwise has become the site for me. I'm not taking pot shots at Randall on the way out - didn't do it here, didn't do it on facebook...the decision to leave came after an unrelated event the following day from my initial post on this thread.

If we want to have a conversation about what a.net is right now I suggest we as a group pick it up on the new thread mirrodie made because that sets up a constructive conversation about a.net. This thread has blown out of control and has been dragged through a multitude of conversations that were not ever related to this thread. Time to move on.
    Last edited by jerslice; 2010-12-04 at 12:26 PM.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    If we want to have a conversation about what a.net is right now I suggest we as a group pick it up on the new thread mirrodie made because that sets up a constructive conversation about a.net. This thread has blown out of control and has been dragged through a multitude of conversations that were not ever related to this thread. Time to move on.
    Jeremy you have got to be kidding. You are the one that dragged this thread into the direction it has gone. Go read your own post. You could have discussed Phil's view of Randall without naming your fellow sour grapes cronies or bringing anet into the discussion but you chose this platform to launch into an agenda because your shot got rejected. Don't turn this on me because your post is there for all to read and it's pretty clear that you used Randall, Royal and the rest of us coookie cutters as a way to make basically a weak argument that anet isn't what your vision of photography is because they don't want a nose shot with people in front of it. Where is they would take a shot from Royal and Randall because they screen there. Now please if you want to stop throwing out bombs and actually begin to start providing us with shots and examples, you know maybe a shot that is already in the DB and one that you had rejected? Or maybe produce some shots from your "outside the box" buddies that anet routinely rejects we can continue. If you want to start a new thread fine I mean you already done enough here. You could have easily found Randalls other work on the other media he uploads to if you wanted to see his entire portfolio but you chose to pigeon hole him since you were in the middle of ending your marriage with anet. Coincidence? I doubt it.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Program Coordinator
    Don't turn this on me because your post is there for all to read and it's pretty clear that you used Randall, Royal and the rest of us coookie cutters as a way to make basically a weak argument that anet isn't what your vision of photography is because they don't want a nose shot with people in front of it. Where is they would take a shot from Royal and Randall because they screen there.
    Nick I never actually said that nor have I said a single word about Royal. I actually haven't said anything since Thursday night...I don't know who you think you've been arguing with here on NYC for the past day and a half but it hasn't been me.

Now please if you want to stop throwing out bombs and actually begin to start providing us with shots and examples, you know maybe a shot that is already in the DB and one that you had rejected?
    What bombs Nick, what bombs? I haven't said anything at all for quite some time here...I've made 4 posts...and three of them were leveled straight at countering your disillusion.
    I'd be happy to continue discussing a.net on the other thread but my leaving is not entirely based on "rejections". I don't really upload there very much.

You could have easily found Randalls other work on the other media he uploads to if you wanted to see his entire portfolio but you chose to pigeon hole him since you were in the middle of ending your marriage with anet. Coincidence? I doubt it.
    Whatever Nick, go on drinking your own kool aide.

Guys, I think there are some misunderstandings here, and it's my fault for letting the overly heated discussion get this far.

Peopel have different views and opinions on photography and different things that drive them. No one insulted anyone's ability here, and no one should say or imply that others' opinions are wrong (not saying that anyone did that her).

I'm jsut gonna lock this up and ask that everyone keep it cool from here. Thanks guys. Happy shooting!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].