Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MY New 6.5MM Lens!!!

MY New 6.5MM Lens!!!

With a smile on my face I am happy to announce that last night will be the last time I use the wide angle Adapter for my 18-55. Designed for film, the quality of image is bad but it was just too much fun not to play with. It gave some very cool shots, so much fun that I had to overlook the severe quality issues. The wider the F Stop, the worse it got. It was worth about $60 and it is one of those "you get what you pay for"

Here is an old shot with it

This one from tonight

and the last shot I will ever take with this lens adapter

and it will be retired to Moose's bag for him to play with...(Remember, Tripod and stop
    it WAYYY down Moose!)

On Monday I will receive my new Opteka 6.5mm f/3.5 Manual Focus Aspherical Fisheye Lens for Canon. On Full frame it is 180 DEGREES!!!! on my camera it will be 170across and less vertically. Can You Say COCKPIT SHOTS????? YEA BABY!

I can not wait to have fun! The lens itself is branded with 5 different names but the maker is the same. This is sold under this brand for $299.00 and is a STEAL! Quality is ok wide open but when you stop it down it is suppose to be tack sharp. I have seen reviews that show full sized photos when I was looking into it and could not believe how close the quality was to some of the +$1000.00 Len's photos that were posted. If I had tons of extra cash, I do not think I would buy the Sigma over this. I am really excited and want to ask... What is your widest Lens?
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Program Coordinator
    Used to be the 10-22 on the 7/40D...now it is the 17-40 on the (very soon to be) 5D.

Tokina 12-24mm f/4 on the 40D

To be honest, the quality of the images you posted for $60 bucks is STELLAR... seriously!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Thanks, I did not like how the quality around the edges went to crap tho... Those are as good as it gets with a tripod and tight F-Stop. (Thats what she said)

IT ARRIVES!!!

My First shots with it....HDR and a crappy one at that, but it was CCccold!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Fred, I challenge to re-create that shot and nail it LOL... and please, at least put the camera bag behind you... geesh!
    Manny Gonzalez

Oh hell no, You did not just go there!!!! IT IS ON!

that's a pretty sick shot there Fred...I may have to ponder looking into something like that...the 10-22 is pretty freakin' sweet though from Canon
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    that's a pretty sick shot there Fred...I may have to ponder looking into something like that...the 10-22 is pretty freakin' sweet though from Canon
    I was thinking that the 10-22 would be sweet but with it being actual 16-35 on my 1.6 sensor I am really glad I picked this lens. I need to go as wide as possible for cockpit shots.....And I saved a ton a money and am wider.... If I could have either lens for free I would get the 10-22 and sell it to purchase this lens. I am still not sure how sharp but I will take a few shots tonight and play some more.

Here were the numbers that opened my eyes

Opteka 6.5mm f/3.5 x 1.6= 10.4mm sells for $300
    EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 x1.6= 16-35.2mm sells for $760
    Tokina AF 11-16mm f2.8 x 1.6= 17.6-25.6mm sells for $600

I must say though, the 10mm is phenomenally wide and sharp with little to no chromatic aberration and I'm thrilled with the quality of the shots that come off it, especially for the cockpits of the planes I fly. That said, the price tag does make the Opteka a pretty sweet find and an awesome alternative...I'm looking forward to seeing the results. Maybe we should start a wide-angle shoot-off thread?
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Oh Bring it on!!! I will probably loose but it will be fun as hell and with a smile on my face!!!

Does 360 degrees wide count?

http://www.mannyphoto.com/panoramas/newyork/index.html

other stuff in the super wide category. Most of the 360 deg panos shot with a Sigma 6mm FishEye on a Crop Sensor Nikon D2Xs which actually crops some of the frame on the top and bottom but the stitcher ignores this anyway as I shoot in vertical mode... Stitcher os choice is PTGui!

http://www.mannyphoto.com/panoramas/
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Does 360 degrees wide count?

http://www.mannyphoto.com/panoramas/newyork/index.html

other stuff in the super wide category. Most of the 360 deg panos shot with a Sigma 6mm FishEye on a Crop Sensor Nikon D2Xs which actually crops some of the frame on the top and bottom but the stitcher ignores this anyway as I shoot in vertical mode... Stitcher os choice is PTGui!

http://www.mannyphoto.com/panoramas/
    Good stuff!
    Here is an unedited image right from the camera

Please Note that the focus was set to just aft of the prop so the prop should be in focus....edges were out of
    focus and does not show sharpness

(this was holding a monopod 10 feet over my head one handed)

Full Size image

Here is a HDR of my living room

Having a little fun with a pano

Fred, outstanding! First time I think I've ever wanted a fisheye.