Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six Years with the Mighty Stratus

Six Years with the Mighty Stratus

Today marks 6 years since I brought home my 2004 Stratus Coupe. There have been a few bumps along the way, but on the whole, I still love this little car! It's taken me lots of places, and finally meant I had a Mopar I could drive to the big Chryslers at Carlisle show.

A few "fun facts" about the past 6 years - she has 142,750 miles (as of this morning) on her (I picked her up with 20 miles on the odometer), averaging 23.6 mpg along the way. With gas prices around here, that's worked out to a little over 11 cents per mile. I've spent about 6 1/2 cents per mile on maintenance and repairs, the biggest hit on that being 14 months ago when the (dealer installed) timing belt broke about 5K miles before it was due for replacement. It also includes 18 oil changes, four sets of tires, and a new driver seat. I got over 93K on the original factory shocks and struts, front rotors and rear brake shoes - although they were certainly used up when they were replaced. All in, including purchase price, fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc, it has cost me about 41 cents a mile over the past 6 years, which doesn't seem too bad to me.

I'm heading out for a drive (one of the few benefits of unemployment!) and to take a few photos of her to add to my collection:
    http://www.moose135photography.com/C.../4703383_4mz39

Here she is, two days old:

At the SAC memorial at the Air Force Museum:

The "beauty shot":

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    love it and love seeing those stats!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I am so glad I have a timing chain and not a belt. Does NY have the 60k law? I am a year behind you Moose but just about the same mileage. I am gathering the parts to do the starter, alternator and water pump. Luckily I can do all this work myself and my mx costs are low. I get the same mileage on my brakes too thanks to all that highway driving, good luck on the next 6 years Moose!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    my '95 explorer has served me just as well but i haven't done the math to support it. oil, tune ups and exhaust replacement was all done by me. i'm upwards of 160k on the mileage and when i replace it this winter with (most likely) a diesel jeep liberty it'll get parked until the spring so that i can do another tune-up and replace the power steering pump before handing it off to my sister as her first truck.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

a diesel jeep liberty
    Come on Matt a F150!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Come on Matt a F150!
    won't fit in my garage. nothing larger than my explorer will.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Hey Moose, now that I have a sec to write, I just learned that a distant relative is now heading Dodge. YIKES!

I'm keep[ing my Altima and Pilot right now but next car will be diesel.

You heard it here first.
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

I am HONORED to be able to say that I have had its Grease on my hands.... But in a moment of stupidity I washed it off!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Diesel? I just checked my calendar and it says 2010 not 1970.

NLovis
    I must say I have had my car 2 years and it is less the 1k away from 150k on the odomiter. Sadly she will be replaced come spring as I will have to do major work to keep my 97 Dodge Intrepid on the road. Fun facts ive gotten 25MPG once after doing the fuel math. Drove 256 miles that week. My worst would be 17. (bad traffic week mixed with car troubles) My car is in beautiful shape but will need to replace alot of major and costly parts. Which would include the engine at some point as I have had an oil leak for the 2 years ive ahd her. Its an internal seal leak that would require the engine being torn apart to fix. Must say Castrol high milege 10W-30 works wonders in preserving your engine (but not my spelling) xD Through the 2 years ive had to replace 2 maufacturer calipers and at 142k refurbish my transmission. shes been a good girl (even when i drove through through flood water half way up my doors. no water got in anything.) I will prob repalce her with a smaller Dodge Avenger. This will also set me back on a DSLR purchase in the enar future. Oh well here is to long lasting cars. Moose you take care of your baby up there. She doesnt look any older then 2 days.

In the USA diesel cars are becoming increasingly common and demand for them has also been increasing as well. These changes in the consumer automobile market have surfaced as the advantages of diesel cars (most notably their spectacular fuel mileage and corresponding increase in vehicle range) have become more important, and traditional downsides such as noise, production of pollutants, dark smoke and/or acrid smell have been mitigated by advancing technology.

Today’s clean diesel vehicles are able to achieve fuel mileage figures around 30-50% greater than their gasoline counterparts and they are able to do that with little notable increase in engine noise or the smoky emissions that diesels used to be known for.

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-buying...-diesel-models

It pays to be open to changes in tech, Nick. ;) At one point while in college, I was driving a 85 MEcedes Turbo diesel wagon. Great beast, lots of backseat lie flat room came quite useful. The low end torque off the line was incredible.

Moose, how bad was the timing belt repair? I had the timing belt break on my Hyundai Excel in hte 90s while cruising on the Sagtikos. not good.

SO, how high has that speedometer gone....we want to know....

Knock yourself out Mario but the diesel car was a flop when they first tried it and with the advances in straight gas powered vehicles and the electric cars now along with the tax breaks your better off buying a Prius or a fuel effecient gas powered car.

NLovis
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    In the USA diesel cars are becoming increasingly common and demand for them has also been increasing as well. These changes in the consumer automobile market have surfaced as the advantages of diesel cars (most notably their spectacular fuel mileage and corresponding increase in vehicle range) have become more important, and traditional downsides such as noise, production of pollutants, dark smoke and/or acrid smell have been mitigated by advancing technology.

Today’s clean diesel vehicles are able to achieve fuel mileage figures around 30-50% greater than their gasoline counterparts and they are able to do that with little notable increase in engine noise or the smoky emissions that diesels used to be known for.

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-buying...-diesel-models

It pays to be open to changes in tech, Nick. ;) At one point while in college, I was driving a 85 MEcedes Turbo diesel wagon. Great beast, lots of backseat lie flat room came quite useful. The low end torque off the line was incredible.

Moose, how bad was the timing belt repair? I had the timing belt break on my Hyundai Excel in hte 90s while cruising on the Sagtikos. not good.

SO, how high has that speedometer gone....we want to know....
    I will put up a spedo "reading" when I get back from work. Leave you in suspence for a little while longer

I bought a brand new Toyota Corolla last Saturday (had only twenty miles on the odometer and as of right now it shows 189 miles)!!!

NLovis
    As requested here is my spedo and odo