Thread: Republic Airport Browsing Today

Republic Airport Browsing Today

I go to school at SUNY Farmingdale majoring in Aviation Admin. I have two friends that are Pro Pilot Majors. We decided to walk around Republic Airport today. One stop included the passenger terminal. I found it very interesting to walk around in there. There are two ticket counters in there and one is still in the NW Airlink Colors. Does anyone here know much about the time in the 90s when FRG had air service by NW Airlink. Does anyone have any info on their schedule?
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

From the Republic Airport Historical Society website, NW Airlink operated from May to October 1993, with service to Boston and Albany. They used a pair of Dornier 228s, but ended the service due to low demand. From a 1999 NYS report on the "future use" of FRG, they mentioned four flights a day, presumably two to each destination.

I'm a member of the society - most of the displays in the terminal were set up by society members - and I know one of our members donated photos of he had taken when the service was inaugurated. Their web site is under renovation, and I'm not finding any photos there. They used to have a bunch posted, and I know the goal is to eventually scan and post many of the old photos in the collection.
    Last edited by moose135; 2010-11-22 at 07:13 PM.

There was also a very short period of time when NW Airlink used Saab 340's at FRG, but I believe it lasted only a month or two. If I recall correctly the NIMBY's got it killed.
    I am thinking more late 90's.
    It's the fares, stupid

I wonder if FRG could ever get Air Service again? RJ's are a lot quieter than props and they have private jets with similar engines to a CRJ...I could see DL doing a few to DTW or ATL and maybe AA to ORD...

The big issue I saw with the current terminal was the lack of room for security screening. How was it done in the 1990's?
    Last edited by JetBlueAirwaysFan; 2010-12-02 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Add information
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

NIMBYs would have a titty attack.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

In a crap economy, my word to them would be tough! I know of an old hag behind runway 19 that calls all the time. I'm sure they would stick to 14/32.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012