Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Jones Beach Airshow 2011

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    It was a pretty good practice show once the fog lifted, here is just one of many shots from today showing some vapor:

Also, an older white fighter jet flew in to Republic around 6ish this evening, sorry I don't know what it was.

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Two more from today:

Iron Eagle team:

A little vapor from the A-10:

Guys thanks for all your updates. I would like to know the schedule if anybody has it? Particularly when F-18 and F-16s may fly.

I have been trying to get schedule from http://nyasinfo.com/guide/ but there is no info on it (or perhaps I don't see it)

Kindly help as I will be commuting from very far away.

thanks

A few from Friday...

After the fog lifted it certainly turned into a very jam packed entertaing day at the beach. Two Superhornet demos!! that was great. Nice pics here !! I tried to get some at republic after the show but that darn green partition was up and had to be creative and didnt get nearly the pictures I wanted....
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn View Post
    After the fog lifted it certainly turned into a very jam packed entertaing day at the beach. Two Superhornet demos!! that was great. Nice pics here !! I tried to get some at republic after the show but that darn green partition was up and had to be creative and didnt get nearly the pictures I wanted....
    Ken
    Yeah I thought the fog was going to give us a "No Go"!! But it turned out pretty good. What is the reason for the partition? Protect cars/people from jet/prop wash? Luckily I am tall
    and use a point and shoot digital camera so it wasnt so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post

I know we have a member here from the 106th, maybe he can provide some more info?
    Hello, I haven't been out at the base in a few weeks but I remember from the Calverton Air Show they had a SCANG F-16 come by and make some noise. Nothing like a full demo. I live on the north shore and today alone I've been witness to flyby's from a B-17 and one of our own HC-130's. What a treat that B-17 was, sounded like 4 boats out of water... going very slowly.

Hi Guys

So was at the air show today sat may 28th. After seeing Super Hornet demo I wondered why was it flying so far away and so high, with no low altitude high speed pass especially unlike the 2009 Super hornet demo.

Then I read the story about Blue Angels low altitude maneuver on May 22nd (at Lynchburg, VA) and thought maybe that has something to do with it.

Did any of you guys also noticed that F-18 flew much further out and higher than compared to 2009 demo? Heck by comparison A-10 was much closer and often at lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by zentradi View Post
    Hi Guys

So was at the air show today sat may 28th. After seeing Super Hornet demo I wondered why was it flying so far away and so high, with no low altitude high speed pass especially unlike the 2009 Super hornet demo.

Then I read the story about Blue Angels low altitude maneuver on May 22nd (at Lynchburg, VA) and thought maybe that has something to do with it.

Did any of you guys also noticed that F-18 flew much further out and higher than compared to 2009 demo? Heck by comparison A-10 was much closer and often at lower altitude.
    This was the subject of a lot of wonder and questioning from plane buffs and casual watchers alike where I was near the centerpoint. Anyone know the story with the Super Bug being so high and far out to sea?

Funny enough, it seemed the first practice demo by the Super Hornet (AD-234) yesterday afternoon (Friday - 5/27) was much closer to the beach than the one (AD-235) that followed later in the afternoon.

Perhaps it just may be an issue of comfort with respect to the two separate Super Bug demo crews?

Bummer, I guess those 2 F-16s at ISP weren't in town for the Airshow
    because I heard there were NO F-16 flybys at the beach today.

2 Educated guesses as to why the Super Hornet was high & out a bit.

1) The onshore breeze was really picking up during the Skytypers & you may have noticed that a few of their maneuvers actually went over the crowd which was a No-No. It wasn't intentional, but the wind took them inland. We also saw the A-10 have a few VERY close passes that were also likely a cause of the strong on-shore breeze.

2) I don't think the Blues incident necessarily had anything to do with the 18's demo, it was isolated & the CO who was ultimately responsible has been relieved. That being said, keep in mind the 18 Demo teams have been on the bench for some time now since a Pilot & WSO from the West Coast team were both lost as a result of a crash a short time ago. They have just recently been cleared to fly again & this was in fact one of their first shows back. I would imagine, the rules have been tightened a bit, especially in the conditions they were dealing with today (Wind, Fog, Haze). That coupled with the difficulty associated with doing a demo over water makes for cautious pilots. With all that has recently happened in the airshow world, I'm OK with that.

I loved the show today. Even though there was no Jet Team, it was just an unbelievable collection of Civilian talent & warbirds (along with our friends from the ACC & Navy). I also love how well run this show is every year. Truly first rate from the top down. I'm heading back to the beach tomorrow with the kids, minus the camera. I plan on just sitting back and watching my young kids catch the aviation fever just as I did so many years ago. See you all on the beach!

You may remember that last Fall, I spent a day on the Hudson River, for a promotional shoot with a restored PT Boat on behalf of the AAM. The boat's owner brought it down for the show. Saturday morning, I met him at the dock, along with several museum patrons, for a "ride". We headed out onto the Atlantic off Jones Beach. We stopped across from show center, just outside the airshow safety box. A couple of aerobatic performers did their thing, and then the War Birds showed up - Fifi, B-17 Yankee Lady, as well as the AAM's B-25 Miss Hap, and their P-40, P-47. Chris Baranaskas rounded out the group with his P-51 Glamorous Gal. When they began making their passes along the beach, we were cleared into the box, and made a number of high speed runs along the beach. The boat was bouncing along the waves, throwing up a ton of spray (I got wet, my cameras got wet...) putting on a show for the crowd. What a blast!

Here are a few shots from the beach...

Fifi passes the Jones Beach water tower.

Chris and Glamorous Gal make a high speed pass.

We also had our History Under the Stars photo shoot tonight. Here's a closer look at Glamorous Gal - maybe my favorite airplane to shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by Boxman View Post
    Funny enough, it seemed the first practice demo by the Super Hornet (AD-234) yesterday afternoon (Friday - 5/27) was much closer to the beach than the one (AD-235) that followed later in the afternoon.
    You are absolutely correct. I was thinking the same thing. The 2nd demo WAS much furthur out than the first.

John, wow, the water is definitely the place to be at Jones !!!!! Next year I will have to rent a boat! LOL
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Hey guys. I don't know if anybody is out at kfrg, but i am east of the threshold to runway 19 just north of the museum. Parked on the shoulder. Trying to figure out the best spot to be on the perimeter. Any tips or info on where to find you? Looks like they are taking off on 19 and landing on 14.
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM