Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Jones Beach Airshow 2011

Amazing shots. Great Job guys !
    Living The Dream...

It was a good show, but not as good as previous years. There was a definite lack of thunder this year. It sounded like the entire beach erupted with cheers & applause after the F-18's closed the show on Sunday. I overheard Chuck Schumer talking to an event co-ordinator... he promised the Blue Angels for next year. Here's to hoping we can get the Raptor back next year, and I'd love to see the B1-B Lancer again.

At the 2007 show we had the Lancaster(?), F-22, B1-B, Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, A-10, Super Hornets, TWO F-86's, & a KC-135(?). That is the bar that needs to be topped! I don't know how we had the Angels & Birds BOTH at the same show... it was awesome!

I've still yet to see a B-2 in person, would love to see that one make an appearance some day.

Bill
    Last edited by Billbo1970; 2011-06-01 at 12:13 PM.

When you spend six days running around the show, getting behind the scenes, you see and hear things that the general public doesn't - and maybe shouldn't...

When you leave the marina with one of these, nobody gets in your way!

Chris and Scott arguing over who looks cooler in a flight suit...they almost had to be separated!

And in a little discussed incident, Sean Tucker chases one of his crew members around the ramp with his aircraft...

Quote Originally Posted by Billbo1970 View Post
    At the 2007 show we had the Lancaster(?), F-22, B1-B, Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, A-10, Super Hornets, TWO F-86's, & a KC-135(?). That is the bar that needs to be topped! I don't know how we had the Angels & Birds BOTH at the same show... it was awesome!
    I think all these shows are running together for you, Bill - we never had all those at one show. The Thunderbirds and Blue Angels haven't performed in the same year at Jones Beach. The T-Birds and Snow Birds did both perform in 2009. In 2007, we did have the T-Birds, a B-1, the Lancaster, A-10 and one F-86. I've been to every show, and I don't remember ever seeing a KC-135 - and that I would remember, for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Billbo1970 View Post
    I overheard Chuck Schumer talking to an event co-ordinator... he promised the Blue Angels for next year. Here's to hoping we can get the Raptor back next year, and I'd love to see the B1-B Lancer again.

I've still yet to see a B-2 in person, would love to see that one make an appearance some day.

Bill
    Ol' Chuck should have gotten on the phone in the weeks leading up to the show. The tiny (but nice) New Garden PA airshow has the B-2 this year on Saturday only and 3 passes are mentioned! When the TB's made other arrangements I'm sure he could have leaned on somebody.

I like how he takes credit for the BA's next year, something we already knew. (snowbirds too IIRC)

Fantastic, super images everyone. I've enjoyed looking at all of them. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    I like how he takes credit for the BA's next year, something we already knew.
    And last May, we knew we were getting the Thunderbirds this year...

Moose,

You may be right about Angels & T-Birds, I was going from somebodys photo uploads on a google search for the 2007 show. There were definitely 2 F-86's though: a red bull F-86 & a silver military one. They did a lot more flying at FRG than they did at the beach. OK, so add a KC-135 to my wish-list

PS: Why did the t-birds bail on us this year? 1st time we've not had either a bird or angels demo

Bill
    Last edited by Billbo1970; 2011-06-01 at 01:29 PM. Reason: PS

The Red Bull aircraft was a MiG-17, not an F-86. It's been here a couple of times.

The Thunderbirds have a European tour scheduled this summer, with their first stop in Turkey. From what I've heard, the Turks moved the date for their show around a few times, finally settling on this coming weekend, June 4/5. The T-Bird support staff/equipment left over the weekend, and the team flies over today. It's the 100th Anniversary of the Turkish Air Force, and since they fly F-16s, and we need to keep them as friends, someone up the chain of command decided to blow off Memorial Day weekend in the states in favor of our European allies.

The Blue Angels were already committed to Millville, but in the end, that didn't come off either.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    The Red Bull aircraft was a MiG-17, not an F-86. It's been here a couple of times.
    You're right again Moose!

It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

A few more...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Great shots everyone !!!!

John, ALL of your HDR shots are just AWESOME !!!!!
    My favorite is your AMAZING sunset shot with the Centennial Growler !!! WOW !!!!
    Thanks Chris...really appreciate the kind words.

I've posted my video of the warbird action over the beach. FIFI is sure an impressive sight in the air. Also it's the first time I've seen a P-51 Mustang pulling vapor! (@ 3:50) I liked Chris B. and the Vandy One Team's demo. Looking forward to seeing them again at Geneseo.

I'll compile the rest of my footage featuring the A-10 and F-18 demo's to start.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ptbpilot.../0/lZmNzb9498A

Enjoy,
    Pete