Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Jones Beach Airshow 2011

Manny! If you're out at kfrg, from me a line. 8452824956.
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Yesterday at the AAM was tremendous...I should be done going through all 800+ photos by next airshow day...

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    John, wow, the water is definitely the place to be at Jones !!!!! Next year I will have to rent a boat! LOL
    A boat on the water could be a good place to watch the show from - although you will be at least a mile, if not more, away from the beach. A boat on the water is a terrible place to shoot the show from. Imagine if you will a small aerobatic plane flitting around the sky, or a P-51 screaming along at 500 feet and 400 knots. Now try to track, focus, and shoot while you are bobbing up and down, up and down, up and down...

Quote Originally Posted by cowens727 View Post
    Yesterday at the AAM was tremendous...I should be done going through all 800+ photos by next airshow day...
    800 photos? That's not even one day's worth for me...and it's only about 2 hours worth for Fred!

What a great time at FRG today. Planes moving in and out like clockwork and great Fly-Bys especially the Hornets, which sent up the back-up today for the Legacy Flight and the A-10. I went over to the rear lot of Atlantic by the Numbers of Runway 1 to watch the Hornet depart for its demo. WOW!! They blasted skyward right at the end of the Runway and boy was that loud. Set off a few car alarms and almost busted my eardrums!! But WTF!!! I saw one of them leave later (Empire 85) but according to the AAMs Facebook page the rest might be here until Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    You may remember that last Fall, I spent a day on the Hudson River, for a promotional shoot with a restored PT Boat on behalf of the AAM. The boat's owner brought it down for the show. Saturday morning, I met him at the dock, along with several museum patrons, for a "ride". We headed out onto the Atlantic off Jones Beach. We stopped across from show center, just outside the airshow safety box. A couple of aerobatic performers did their thing, and then the War Birds showed up - Fifi, B-17 Yankee Lady, as well as the AAM's B-25 Miss Hap, and their P-40, P-47. Chris Baranaskas rounded out the group with his P-51 Glamorous Gal. When they began making their passes along the beach, we were cleared into the box, and made a number of high speed runs along the beach. The boat was bouncing along the waves, throwing up a ton of spray (I got wet, my cameras got wet...) putting on a show for the crowd. What a blast!

Here are a few shots from the beach...

Fifi passes the Jones Beach water tower.

Chris and Glamorous Gal make a high speed pass.

We also had our History Under the Stars photo shoot tonight. Here's a closer look at Glamorous Gal - maybe my favorite airplane to shoot...
    Well at least you solved the backlighting that is always a problem at the beach.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Antonis, just saw this :-( darn... I got there around 12:00pm today, yesterday only made it for HUTS

Moose, my VR works up and down too LOL... but seriously, for me is all about the light. Sun-in-yer-face is NOT my idea of fun and indeed all my images are dull or close to it... very few ever come out ok... Jones from the sand is only OK when the air is SUPER CLEAR otherwise the light scatters too much and well, now I am getting technical LOL

Nice seeing you last night at AAM

Cheers!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I was not planning on being at the show today, but made it for the last 2 hours.

It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Hi, guys!

Had an AMAZING day at FRG with my girlfriend. Started the day just north of the AAM on the perimeter road. The highlights included the A-10 with a couple of fly-bys and the Heritage flight (B-29, B-25, B-17, Mustangs) which did a few as well.

When the sun crossed over the centerline of 19, we went across to the Dave and Busters lot and spent the rest of the day there. Saw the A-10s come by again, saw a B-17 once more. Then the Hornets took off. Hornet 1 came around for a pass and went full-afterburner, no more than 250 feet AGL. It set off every single car alarm in the area, and sent a few dogs running away, tails between their legs. I was deaf with a ringing in my ear for about an hour. Someone down the fence has a decibel meter and measured the first fly-by at 146!!!!!! The two Hornets went and did their shows. The first one came back and did another burner pass (a bit higher this time). Then Hornet 2 came in with an F-4U Corsair and did a slow pass with it. The F4-U broke off for landing and the F-18 did another pass with the gear up but no burners (did a cool corkscrew as it climbed away). Finally came in for landing, and we headed home, half-deaf. I've included some images straight out of camera in another thread I started in Spotting Review.

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    I saw one of them leave later (Empire 85) but according to the AAMs Facebook page the rest might be here until Tuesday.
    Now AAM FB page saying the other Demo Hornet could be leaving between 920 and 10AM on Monday so heads up guys.

Here are a few from my visit to the AAM on Friday (more images from Saturday to follow). Nice images Moose and Eric!

Probably one of my better image of the Geico Skytypers

Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

That is a great shot of Skytyper 2, Mark!

Here are some from Sunday. I spent most of the day camped out in the old control tower with Fred - apparently, there was a disturbance in the Force when I skipped the tower in favor of the PT Boat on Saturday.

This guy is watching us, thinking "Who are those guys in that tower???"

Shots taken Sunday from the museum:

Isaac

Some of my Sunday images (around FRG). There are many more in a thread I started in Spotting Review (hoping people will post there since this one is SO long!)

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    now that's downright amazing!! i bow to you oh great one....
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Moos that A-10 landing configuration is just W-O-W... Great shot, one of the best thunderbolt II shots I have ever Seen.

Great job guys, see a lot of good pictures here, Im happy that weather and light was good :) lots of great pictures, FIFI in flight just Priceless. Keep em Flying !
    Living The Dream...