Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Beach Airshow 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ANITIX87 View Post
    So.

I've been reading this thread, and checking the websites in preparation for hopefully attending the show for the first time. A few questions have arisen.

1) Is it even worth it for me to go to the beachfront? It seems like the displays may be backlit all day, and the crowd could potentially be enormous.
    2) Are the static displays outside or inside at FRG? If outside, will guests be allowed air-side? Can you shoot arrivals/departures from there?

Thanks.

TIS
    1. It all depends on what you want from your airshow experience. Do you want to get pics of the Heritage Flights? Do you want pics of the acro acts going thru the motions? Shots of the 106th rescue demo in action over the water? Then yes head to the beach. We don't have a demo team this year so the draw to see the full show is not there. If you are content with just getting shots of single airplanes, then stay at FRG. The warbirds, skytypers and military jets usually make a pass or two before landing.

Also, there is really not a backlight issue at the beach. I've seen a lot worse. Sunrise is 5:30 am so by the time the show starts it is well above and slightly west this time of year. The only real problem we've had some years has been HAZE. An on shore breeze just makes it worse. Also traffic should be down this year without the draw of the team. As with any show if you are a serious fan/photog, get there early and plan to stay an hour after the show to let the traffic thin out. We 3 major roadways out of the park it's never been a serious issue.

2. The AAM Ramp at FRG is a good place to be for the show, but there is not a lot of wiggle room. All aircraft that are to fly for the show are not accessible and outside the crowd barriers or airside if you will. Since the warbirds fly early, it is most likely that FIFI will fly around 9-11 and then land, and be brought inside the crowd barriers to be opened up for tours. I would wager that the B-17 will stay airside and be coming and going for rides. Most of the AAM's fleet will be outside the barriers, but one or two that won't fly will be on display in the hangar or ramp.

For shooting acts in the air, get to the museum early to get a spot at the short crowd line. The ramp is between two hangars so there is not a lot of time to set up your shots. When the fighters make a bananna pass from the south, they suddenly pop up from behind the big hangar, and you have seconds in which to focus and shoot before they disappear behind the AAM hangar. Definately a challenging locale.

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    Tis, some folks split one day at FRG and the other at the beach. I used to but lighting at the beach is tough as hell. The AAM at FRG is EXTREMELY accommodating, especially during an event like this. For the price of admission, you can tour both the hangar and a generous, fenced off section of the ramp where the warbirds will be parked. The only time they will evacuate you from the ramp is when a plane is either starting up for rollout, or taxiing back after the demo and that just translates to being corralled within the hanger for a few minutes on each instance. The folks there always do a stellar job with the balancing act and if you showed up there, you won't be disappointed.
    Could not have said it better...just please keep in mind as was said before, the later you get there the farther away from the museum you will park.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    There is also the option of shooting from the airport perimeter along New Hwy. Only things for that are, with all else parking. It's gonna be a pain in the ass if you're not there early enough. Also, you'd need a ladder or you'd need to be able to stand on top of a truck/suv type of car in order to not have the fence obstructing your view.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

So how early should any of us plan to get to the museum? Is 9am good, or before that?

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by cowens727 View Post
    So how early should any of us plan to get to the museum? Is 9am good, or before that?
    0900 should be alright.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    The Museum is an excellent place to "hang around" during the day. Most of the performers will use 1/19, so you will get great shots of them either departing or landing until at least 1pm before they become too backlit.
    Beach tomorrow, Eisenhower for the Marines Sat, FRG Sun/Mon.
    A good place to hang out is in the parking lot by Dave & Busters off Runway 1-9. Most of the aircraft when returning will do a fly-by/low approach and thats a great location for viewing.
    Plus it has plenty of parking and room to move around.
    I'm not worried about the backlighting as I'm watching more than snapping but I know what you mean.

It was Media Day at the show today - local TV, radio, and print had reporters, cameras, and more at the museum. With the on-again, off-again clouds and fog, we didn't get much flying done. Fifi made a couple of landings then called it day with low ceilings, three A-10s arrived - two demo-team jets, plus their Vice Wing Commander, in to watch the show. The Golden Knights also arrived, and the various civilian aerobatic performers were coming and going all day.

Chris Baranaskas checking out the bombardier's compartment in the B-29.

Two frequent visitors to the museum - retired Soviet Colonel Vladimir Edelman and retired US Army Captain Jack Hayne, were once Cold War adversaries. Today they were interviewed by Michelle Charlesworth of WABC-7 News.

I even had a brush with celebrity. Actually, I had been helping to shepherd their interview - it involved both men, Colonel Edelman's wife and granddaughter (who served as his translator) and several different locations at the museum. Michelle was preparing for a ride in Fifi (which never happened) so we took a few shots once she was in a flight suit.

Hoping for blue skies on Friday...

Last edited by moose135; 2011-05-26 at 11:24 PM.

So that's it then? No F-18 Demo? I guess we would have seen them by now, not to mention at the practice.

Still can hold out for the static Prowler though.

Anyone catch any practice or media action?

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    So that's it then? No F-18 Demo? I guess we would have seen them by now, not to mention at the practice.

Still can hold out for the static Prowler though.

Anyone catch any practice or media action?
    The F-18 rocketed off 19(!) around 1355.

Outstanding! I was outside and heard it, figured it was a Lear 25.

Caught the A-10 make a pass right over my office at the Huntington Quad. Turned on the scanner to FRG freq and picked up a "VAPOR One-One" lifting off of Massapequa HS and looking for a transition. Is this the V-22 Osprey??

Maybe I should go back outside incase the Hornet makes a low pass?

I'll be at the beach tomorrow...syched now! Both my kids are ASKING to go, even the 3 year old!

Two more F-18's and the E6 did an overhead break and landed approximately 2:45-3:00.
    Who said this was going to be a boring air show???

I was working in Smithtown when I heard a noise of an acft I've never heard before. Sure enough, not too far over the trees comes a CV-22, much faster than a helicopter. Never seen an Osprey fly before.

So I get to the beach at Lot 6 around 10AM and the blue skies and sun begins to disappear. I hear the sound of an approaching Huey and here comes the State PD Huey followed by one of their 430UTs low level from the East. The landed at the command Center LZ and shutdown. Then by 11AM it was pretty much almost 0/0!!! Actually heard the Golden Knights overhead and someone else but they departed. Had my sweatshirt and hat on and luckily had my book and iPod with me occupy myself. Got a little chilly. At 12:15 I decided to put my stuff in the truck, switch to sneakers and go check the copters. As I approached the Theater area the sun burned off the fog and it turned into a fantastic day!! Heading back I hear Rob Reider get on the PA and explain that Yes we are going to have a practice show though somewhat edited!! Headed down to the shoreline as Sean Tucker started it off. He was followed by the Iron Eagles who were EXCELLENT!! Very impressive.
    John Klatt followed then some jet power as the A-10 roared in with a nice set piece. This was followed by I believe Mike Goulian but I was distracted by the Super Hornet circling over the
    Bay area. THey came speeding in low and did a great demo including.......BLOWING VAPOR BIG TIME!!!! Oh man just about right in front of me and it was friggin so cool!!! They did a few vapor blasts later but nothing like that one!!!! It was worth waiting for.
    Thought that was it but a Flight of 4 Skytypers did a Flyby then Rob Rieider said the Super Hornet would return for an encore with the 2nd pilot aboard and before that David Windmiller flew in and gave us a nice if abbreviated demo. The F-18 returned did a nice flight and that was it. Considering I thought it to be a washout I was very happy indeed with what I saw.
    And boy was that sun strong!!! Even with glasses I was squinting.
    Headed to FRG after that (traffic was terrible on the Southern State) and got to see a few flybys and around 4:45 the B-29 departed to the north then came back with a high flyover 1-9 then landed 1-4!!!
    Nice long day now heading for a hot shower a few cold ones and Bruins/Lighning Game 7!!

I just got back with my student from a lesson from ISP. Tower refused touch n go's so we headed over to Gabreski for them. On the 106th's ramp are 2 F-16's. It appears they are from the South Carolina ANG. I asked tower if they are here for the airshow and he says yes. So we may be in for a surprise tomorrow if that's the case. I know it's not the demo team, but we may get some fly-by's.

I know we have a member here from the 106th, maybe he can provide some more info?

....oh, and for you airline guys a Delta Airbus landed at ISP and taxi'd over to Sheltair. I think they were departing tonight with a sports team charter.

Funny, at the AAM today they mentioned over the loudspeaker that me might get a flyby by a couple of F-16s, but that flyby never happened, so I guess those were the 2 F-16s that went to ISP !!! Let's hope we can get some high speed >>>AFTERBURNER>>> passes from those F-16s to make LOTS of noise down at the Beach !!!! Keep your fingers crossed because it's really shaping up to be a GREAT show !!!