Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Beach Airshow 2011

She's here!

Did a little Moose hunting while waiting for Fifi... :)

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Meese and 2 Freds? Was was furniture shopping on 110 when Fifi came real low cirling over 110. caught a nice glimpse as she turned into the sun.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Here are a few of my shots from tonight....These are dedicated to Moose...Ya should have went to bed Moose!!!

Last edited by Derf; 2011-05-26 at 12:59 AM.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I know, Fred, I know...it's a sickness!

A few from Wednesday:

And finally...the Goofy Hat Squad was on patrol.

I read on another forum that the air show is going to get an f/a-18 demo. Additionally I heard there will be an e/a-6 prowler as well as a growler on static display. Any truth to that?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn View Post
    I read on another forum that the air show is going to get an f/a-18 demo. Additionally I heard there will be an e/a-6 prowler as well as a growler on static display. Any truth to that?

Ken
    I would believe so, as Grumman is encouraging their employees to go see the planes. I believe they will have access Saturday night.

Does anyone just "hang around" the American Airpower Museum on airshow day? I'm just trying to figure out if that is a better idea than going to the beach and having all my shots backlit....are most of the performers based out of KFRG? Thanks in advance for the info everyone, I know this is the place to go for such questions!

Quote Originally Posted by cowens727 View Post
    Does anyone just "hang around" the American Airpower Museum on airshow day? I'm just trying to figure out if that is a better idea than going to the beach and having all my shots backlit....are most of the performers based out of KFRG? Thanks in advance for the info everyone, I know this is the place to go for such questions!
    The Museum is an excellent place to "hang around" during the day. Most of the performers will use 1/19, so you will get great shots of them either departing or landing until at least 1pm before they become too backlit.

Fantastico..... so between all the airshow related movements and the static displays it should be an amazing day....very much looking forward to catching "FiFi"...

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    John speaks the truth. The AAM is so accommodating that I tend to skip the beach altogether and have my airshow experience there only. The only thing I would advise is to get there early to secure a decent parking spot along New Hwy.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Good advice...they open at 10:30, so I should plan at being there around 9:45-10-ish then? Either way, this sounds much better than dealing with the traffic and hordes at the beach...Thanks again!

FYI.. According to Blue Angels Twitter. They Cancelled Annapolis Fly over & This Weekends Show in NJ.

@ Around 10:20am via Twitter

BlueAngels Blue Angels
    Regrettably, the Blue Angels have cancelled the U.S. Naval Academy graduation flyover and the Millville, N.J. air... http://fb.me/YptXeFR0

Quote Originally Posted by cowens727 View Post
    Good advice...they open at 10:30, so I should plan at being there around 9:45-10-ish then? Either way, this sounds much better than dealing with the traffic and hordes at the beach...Thanks again!
    The earlier the better. Parking along New Hwy will quickly become a hastle. But like John said, it is well worth the price of admission!
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

So.

I've been reading this thread, and checking the websites in preparation for hopefully attending the show for the first time. A few questions have arisen.

1) Is it even worth it for me to go to the beachfront? It seems like the displays may be backlit all day, and the crowd could potentially be enormous.
    2) Are the static displays outside or inside at FRG? If outside, will guests be allowed air-side? Can you shoot arrivals/departures from there?

Thanks.

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Quote Originally Posted by ANITIX87 View Post
    So.

I've been reading this thread, and checking the websites in preparation for hopefully attending the show for the first time. A few questions have arisen.

1) Is it even worth it for me to go to the beachfront? It seems like the displays may be backlit all day, and the crowd could potentially be enormous.
    2) Are the static displays outside or inside at FRG? If outside, will guests be allowed air-side? Can you shoot arrivals/departures from there?

Thanks.

TIS
    Tis, some folks split one day at FRG and the other at the beach. I used to but lighting at the beach is tough as hell. The AAM at FRG is EXTREMELY accommodating, especially during an event like this. For the price of admission, you can tour both the hangar and a generous, fenced off section of the ramp where the warbirds will be parked. The only time they will evacuate you from the ramp is when a plane is either starting up for rollout, or taxiing back after the demo and that just translates to being corralled within the hanger for a few minutes on each instance. The folks there always do a stellar job with the balancing act and if you showed up there, you won't be disappointed.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!