Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Beach Airshow 2011

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Night under the stars will benefit! Yahooo, I have the entire week off!
    Me too. I can't wait!
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

NLovis
    I have the B-1 as well from 07. Beauty. Lovis style of course Cant wait for this airshow. Were getting alot of warbirds this year. Cant wait. Though its still empty without some afterburners to blast our ears out
    Yea I need to submit for under the stars. Would LOVE to participate this year. Manny, Derf think you could look over some of my night shots one of these days as possible entry photos? Ill talk to you guys later.
    Last edited by NLovis; 2011-04-08 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis View Post
    .....Yea I need to submit for under the stars. Would LOVE to participate this year. Manny, Derf think you could look over some of my night shots one of these days as possible entry photos? Ill talk to you guys later.
    I answered this question long ago, I can not start working on how to improve your night photos now as I am working on airshow projects. I did answer the question months ago when you last asked but it fell on deaf ears. This is from my earlier post to you in this same thread.
    From 2/12/2011
    ............For your best chances I would start posts asking "how can I improve my night shots" and put examples.... Many examples. The resources on this forum are incredible and not to use it would be a crime. If your at JFK every night you stand an excellent shot of getting some outstanding captures. Enter your 3 best (if the event is allowed) and cross your fingers. This is how you stand the best chance of finding out if your that good, or improving so you are that good very quickly. I wish you luck but can not play favorites....
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

NLovis
    I answered this question long ago, I can not start working on how to improve your night photos now as I am working on airshow projects. I did answer the question months ago when you last asked but it fell on deaf ears. This is from my earlier post to you in this same thread.
    From 2/12/2011
    I was asking if you wouldnt mind glimpsing and saying yes this has a shot or no it doesnt. Wasnt looking for whats wrong and whats not. Back when you posted that I was still fiddling with my camera but now that im used to it and thinking, yea it would be a good time to ask on what needs improvement. Although I know 2 off the bat. leveling and movement. Movement still gets me at times and I have serious issues leveling my shots. I think its straight but when I view it its always curved in one direction. Ill need to go voer and put some up for an actual review in the comming days. When I get back from florida i should have some reviews from the pros on this site on what im messing up on.

I was asking if you wouldnt mind glimpsing and saying yes this has a shot or no it doesnt. .
    I am working on airshow projects
    Nick, submit what you think is best and pray. Pestering Fred will not help you.

Night under the stars will benefit! Yahooo, I have the entire week off!
    It should be totally awesome! Can't wait!
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

I was asking if you wouldnt mind glimpsing and saying yes this has a shot or no it doesnt. Wasnt looking for whats wrong and whats not. Back when you posted that I was still fiddling with my camera but now that im used to it and thinking, yea it would be a good time to ask on what needs improvement. Although I know 2 off the bat. leveling and movement. Movement still gets me at times and I have serious issues leveling my shots. I think its straight but when I view it its always curved in one direction. Ill need to go voer and put some up for an actual review in the comming days. When I get back from florida i should have some reviews from the pros on this site on what im messing up on.
    soo your not looking for advice on whats wrong or are you?!?!

If you want advice, please read my suggestion above.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Wonder what the attendance will be at this years airshow without a headlining big star attraction? Sure all of us here on this board are aviation aficianados but what about the casual observer? I think the lack of the T-Birds or Angels will definitely keep people away especially if the weather isnt that great. To be honest I'm not exactly thrilled there isnt a demo team performing and might just spend my time at FRG. I already have my vacation time put in for August and will be heading down to AC for "Thunder Over The Boardwalk" August 17th.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    For those of you wondering about air show regulars Matt Chapman and Ed Hamill I have bad news.

Matt Chapman will be flying in Millville and Ed Hamill is going to be deployed in May.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_falcon_51 View Post
    For those of you wondering about air show regulars Matt Chapman and Ed Hamill I have bad news.

Matt Chapman will be flying in Millville and Ed Hamill is going to be deployed in May.
    Ed just got off of deployment! CRAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Wonder what the attendance will be at this years airshow without a headlining big star attraction? Sure all of us here on this board are aviation aficianados but what about the casual observer? I think the lack of the T-Birds or Angels will definitely keep people away especially if the weather isnt that great. To be honest I'm not exactly thrilled there isnt a demo team performing and might just spend my time at FRG.
    If the Raptor doesn't close the show, then yes I'd wager there will be no problem leaving the lots at JB at 3:00 pm. Ironically, I am sure FRG and New Highway (which most people tell me that's where they go to avoid the 'crowds') will be a mad house!

"Welcome everyone to the 2011 Jones Beach Airshow.....Celebrating the 64th Anniversary year of the USAF!!!!"

OK.....so where the heck is the NAVY???!!! Only 1.5 months to go!

Hornet? Super Bug? E2C demo??

The only thing ive yet to see is the F22 out of the entire show... I won't be going to either FRG or Jones... I'll sit on my roof if I am home and watch it from Long Beach or just peg the binoculars on JB from work when the F22 goes up.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I enjoy going to the show at the beach, and in the last 7 years I can't say that I've had a bad experience at all. This is the show to take the kids to, as if they get board they usually just play in the sand, or my wife takes them over to the Jumperoos at the west end. You can't beat the price, $8 bucks a car load, AND you can bring the cooler. Can't do that at other shows. I just make sure I'm on the Wantagh at 0900 at the toll booths. Once through the gate I bear right and go to field 3 to park. We enter at the West bath house and make are way to slightly right of show center. After the show, we kill some time and head to the car for 3:45 pm. With 3 parkways right there traffic dispenses relatively quickly.

That New Highway on Sat/Sun though scares me. It's wall to wall cars/people, the road is still open to thru traffic and it results in some flared tempers from non airplane interested drivers trying to get from one end to another who had no clue there was a show going on. Add people and kids crossing the road from behind parked cars trying to get up to the fence, and I worry that someone is going to get hit one day. IF that happens I can just see PD closing the road off from parking in the future.

This year I will want to capture the B-29 taking off and landing. I have ramp access as I fly out of the Echo Ramp. I imagine the 29 will use 14-32 so I'll have a front row seat on one of the days I don't head to the beach.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    That New Highway on Sat/Sun though scares me. It's wall to wall cars/people, the road is still open to thru traffic and it results in some flared tempers from non airplane interested drivers trying to get from one end to another who had no clue there was a show going on. Add people and kids crossing the road from behind parked cars trying to get up to the fence, and I worry that someone is going to get hit one day. IF that happens I can just see PD closing the road off from parking in the future.
    Unfortunately this has happened before.

Here is the cause

and the EFFECT

It is rare that a NEW HWY Accident is not serious.

Last year they filled the potholes, and filled in the sides of the roads WITHOUT closing the road for a day!
    The above accident was on May 26, 2010 right before Blue Angel #7 was coming in. The accident put two spectators in the hospital.

I'm not trying to scare or make anyone nervous but I do have some advice.

Drivers: Don't drive like a moron.

Spectators: Be careful. Have situational awareness and don't bring your kids there.

Honestly since most of the planes are going to be at the AAM this year a year membership at the AAM ($55) is worth it!
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Great point Ken, UNLIMITED ACCESS TO THE AAM $55 per year

Yes, Get a year membership and you get unlimited access during airshow weekend, Labor day weekend and all other times they are open! If I did not have an airport badge I would
    have it as I would spend more than that airshow week alone to be there. New highway is great for takoffs using one runway, and the AAM is the best spot for the other runway. How many of you guys are considering this awesome deal? Good thinking Ken
    Last edited by Derf; 2011-04-11 at 08:17 PM.