Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Beach Airshow 2011

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

NLovis
    There we go. The knights are on. Now we need a demo team and i think were all set.

To: Republic Airport Tenants & Users/Operators

Assistant Airport Manager

Date: April 4, 2011

RE: Runway 14/32 Closure-Thursday, April 7th

The purpose of this memorandum is to notify all tenants of the temporary closure of Runway 14/32 on Thursday, April 7, 2011 from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. This closure is necessary in order to conduct a survey for the installation of temporary arresting gear on Runway 14/32. The installation of this equipment is required to accommodate military aircraft participating in the 2011 Memorial Day Air Show. Please note that Runway 1/19 will be open and fully available during this time.

Please review all NOTAMs for updates or changes to this notification. If you should have any questions or concerns regarding this notification, please contact John Arancio, Assistant Airport Manager at 631.386.6107.

We appreciate your cooperation and apologize for any inconvenience.

(Maybe they'll reconsider basing the F-22 at FRG?)

Quote Originally Posted by ch2tdriver View Post
    Maybe they'll reconsider basing the F-22 at FRG?
    No they won't. From a trusted source (who I won't name publicly) the gear is required so FRG can act as an emergency divert field for the F-22. It will be raised when the F-22 is flying at the beach, but the aircraft is not planning to fly out of FRG. There may be other assets that will be able to use FRG because the gear is in place, but nothing definite (and no, nothing earth-shattering).

isnt this the same gear they use when the T-Birds are in town? I am surprised they would need a full day to conduct a survey for something they have done many times.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    I would also imagine that gear may be for some possible fast movers that may come ( like the F-18 Tacdemo).

Also while this is not guaranteed it would be nice to see the F-22 do some passes like it did back in 08'.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Here are some pictures from 2006....ahhhhh good times on New Highway. The days
    when all I had to worry about were getting 1 or 2 Hero's for the days events...but
    I did have a lot less night shots tho

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

forgive my ignorance on this but here goes .. are those arresting cables, similar to those on an aircraft carrier? I only ask because I know the Navy does not use F-16's, or F-22's and didn't think they had the necessary tail hooks like a normal Navy Jet. The blue Angels made sense because, well NAVY = tail hook.

Also, what is anchoring these things down? I would imagine the force put on these (even know its letting out cable as the jet takes it) it tremendous. Thanks for the info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
    forgive my ignorance on this but here goes .. are those arresting cables, similar to those on an aircraft carrier? I only ask because I know the Navy does not use F-16's, or F-22's and didn't think they had the necessary tail hooks like a normal Navy Jet. The blue Angels made sense because, well NAVY = tail hook.

Also, what is anchoring these things down? I would imagine the force put on these (even know its letting out cable as the jet takes it) it tremendous. Thanks for the info guys.
    All airforce jets fighters have the hook for arrestor sytems...they are not like Navy and are like Rubber and extend very far to slow the jet down gently. If you trap an F-16 on a carrier it will decelerate so fast that it will probably break the hook and splash or twist the aircraft where it could not be used again.
    If you look at the picture above there are very long metal pins that stick into the ground and anchor it down deep into the ground. (looks like metal zigzags in the picture and the little black dots go underground very deep as they are very long strong rods.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Video of F-16 with the emergency arrestor system. Notice how it slows down slowly. (one of many videos)

http://www.fromtheflightdeck.com/vid...16arrested.WMV

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Not really, the arrestor system does not damage the aircraft, this system shown above has metal fiber straps that tears into the wings and everything it touches, it destroys the aircraft.
    Last edited by Derf; 2011-04-05 at 11:42 AM.

Got it. You learn something new everyday! Thanks Fred.

I'm so excited, I can't wait! Saw the F-22 for the first time when it was a Jones several years ago & have eagerly been awaiting it's return to Long Island. Now, if only we could get that F-18 demo team... oh my...

Is the Heavy Metal team a possibility at all, or is that definitely off?

Bill

it sounds like the heavy metal team is a no go, but as with any airshow, everything is subject to change at the last minute. Not looking good