View Poll Results: Should the body scanner program stay in place?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 31.03%
  • No

12 41.38%
  • Indifferent

8 27.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body Scanners

Body Scanners

With the new body scanners being so controversial, I figured I would take an NYCA Poll to see what you guys think.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    don't care if they stay or go honestly. i've gone through metal detectors, through the bomb sniffers and will have to walk through these when the time comes. just the price of doing business these days...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

You know, its not the body scanners, its the passengers being "felt up" by security if they opt out. I know its still body scanner or groping, but I still think its a problem. I understand radiation concerns, and when there's a class action suit against the TSA (and there will be), that will be their time to speak up. This is my problem:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40278427/ns/travel-news
    Maybe its just a little too far. If I see someone on the street can I go grope her breasts because I thinks she's hiding something?

My solutions for the other measures:
    Metal Detectors: Don't wear metal
    ID Required if over 18: Take ID out of wallet until out of security
    Take Shoes off: Wear flip flops to travel
    No Liquids: Take advantage of inflight service
    Body Scanner: Not figured out yet (are they at LGA yet?)
    Get felt up: Body Scanner

Are we able to ask to watch the TSA delete the body scanner images?
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlueAirwaysFan View Post
    You know, its not the body scanners, its the passengers being "felt up" by security if they opt out. I know its still body scanner or groping, but I still think its a problem. I understand radiation concerns, and when there's a class action suit against the TSA (and there will be), that will be their time to speak up. This is my problem:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40278427/ns/travel-news
    Maybe its just a little too far. If I see someone on the street can I go grope her breasts because I thinks she's hiding something?

My solutions for the other measures:
    Metal Detectors: Don't wear metal
    ID Required if over 18: Take ID out of wallet until out of security
    Take Shoes off: Wear flip flops to travel
    No Liquids: Take advantage of inflight service
    Body Scanner: Not figured out yet (are they at LGA yet?)
    Get felt up: Body Scanner

Are we able to ask to watch the TSA delete the body scanner images?
    LGA has one at the American Checkpoint. The image is automatically deleted from the system one the officer clicks the clear button. There is no way to save it and before someone points to a link saying they can be saved, the specifications say the only way the images could be saved were for testing at our labs in Atlantic City. Non at the airports can save images. Myself, Managers, Supervisors and even the Manufacturer Technician can do change this.

There are procedures in place that the officer in the room viewing the image and the passenger will ever see themselves so there is no recognition of the passenger with their image.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I believe that after ten years since 9/11, the traveling American public are getting fed up with feeling like they're the criminals. I don't think it matters that the images are deleted. The point is, the images shouldn't be there at all. We're being subjugated to pat downs, crack downs while bin-Laden is walking around in his bedroom slippers. Just a rambling thought on my part.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

Remember it was eight years between the first and second WTC attacks. They have tried again but process it place and I won't even say any TSA process have been able to catch them. Also a lot of luck and stupid terrorists.

They wait until we become complacent, it makes it easier to strike.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

First, the 1993 WTC Bombing did not involve airplanes. The second one did. I don't think these new security are going to help strengthen our national security but rather rip us to shreds. I look at all this as admitting defeat to terrorism. I mean, if you look at it, they did their job by leaving the US in Terror and acting on every crazy idea that comes to mind to protect us more, even if it involves public humiliation and complete invasion of privacy. Our economy hit the ground harder than it would have had the 9/11 events not happened and our country is pumping trillions of dollars into Iraq and Afghanistan trying to find one man that we can't track down and capture. The reason NY was a target in the first place is because it is a symbol of economic strength. Are we really winning the war on terror or is Al-Qaeda?
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

I was there in 1993 no it didn't but when Ramsey Youseff was being brought back for trial a fiend of mine was in the helicopter with him. My friend said to him "see they are still standing" to which Youseff said "just because we didn't have enough money".

I pose the question back at you. What should be done?
    Ronald Reagan

I saw a different version of the body scanner where the image is more generic and blocks point out questionable items being concealed. That may ease controversy. The pat downs are inappropriate...period. There's no room for discussion at least not with me. The body scanners need to be modified so its not so personal as mentioned above...period. That's my opinion and I think its fair and I'm not arguing/debating anymore.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlueAirwaysFan View Post
    I saw a different version of the body scanner where the image is more generic and blocks point out questionable items being concealed. That may ease controversy. The pat downs are inappropriate...period. There's no room for discussion at least not with me. The body scanners need to be modified so its not so personal as mentioned above...period. That's my opinion and I think its fair and I'm not arguing/debating anymore.
    What you saw is the next generation of the software for the same imagers. It will be on the screen at the machine and the officer in the room will go away. This will help eliminate the privacy issue. As far as the pat down, how do you eliminate the alarm of a questionable item both on the AIT and/or WTMD? The solution may be that there will be an AIT at every lane (TSA's goal) and a more targeted search can be done where those blocks show up. This will mean everyone will have to go through an AIT, no Opt Out option.

Right now the machines are big and tough to fit in smaller checkpoints but it is heading that way.

You can choose not to discuss it, it's your opinion which I respect. I am just stating the facts so you are more informed.
    Ronald Reagan

Some more info from the TSA Blog:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/11/tsa-myth...ed-images.html

I'm sure it will be called propaganda
    Ronald Reagan

I think it's all a bunch of BS.
    Except about the part of the radiation- that's a real danger.
    The scanners will just be another tool to justify the exuberant and preposterous 9/11 money making scam machine.
    It's inappropriate. And I'm fed up with the American public getting punished as a whole.
    Good luck to the TSA workers around that machine- the only thing that will be flying at the airport will be lawsuits.
    And what gives the right for some TSA worker to see someone undressed or groped? They are no doctor that is committed to a patient client confidentiality.
    Why not level the playing field and have the TSA stand their nude, and if they touch my junk then let me get a fair squeeze too!
    Last edited by FlyingColors; 2010-11-23 at 01:13 PM.
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingColors View Post
    I think it's all a bunch of BS.
    Except about the part of the radiation- that's a real danger.
    The scanners will just be another tool to justify the exuberant and preposterous 9/11 money making scam machine.
    It's inappropriate. And I'm fed up with the American public getting punished as a whole.
    Good luck to the TSA workers around that machine- the only thing that will be flying at the airport will be lawsuits.
    And what gives the right for some TSA worker to see someone undressed or groped? They are no doctor that is committed to a patient client confidentiality.
    Why not level the playing field and have the TSA stand their nude, and if they touch my junk then let me get a fair squeeze too!
    From what I read, you are exposed to more radiation during 2 minutes of your flight, then during an entire scan. If the radiation concerns were legit, wouldnt the TSA all wear lead vests and have it in an enclosed room!?

People dont use their brains. They believe the hype that the news makes, because they are no longer in the news business. They are out to get ratings, and will twist any story to get you to watch.

There was a passenger that came through the checkpoint today. Not the AIT but a normal WTMD lane. He cleared the WTMD (no alarm), all his carry-on cleared. He then turned around to the TSA Officer and said he wanted to Opt Out. It needed to be explained to him that he was already screened and was free to go to his flight.

Keep believing the media hype people.
    Ronald Reagan