Thread: Hyperfocal focusing vs. subject focusing

Hyperfocal focusing vs. subject focusing

I have known about Hyperfocal focusing for quite some time but never really used it too much. I think I am going to play allot more. Here is a thread that has my head spinning.... I like the quote "By focusing at nothing I gain everything? Is this some deep experience?"

Great forum thread on this subject
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Fred, I think you will be disappointed if using it with planes in flight :-) In my experience, if I miss focus at 400mm @ f/11, I get NOTHING in focus if craft is against the sky. The DOF is sooo shallow at 400mm that hyperfocal does not really work (for me at least) But you're welcome to try of course . Please enlighten us if you have positive results.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I do take some other pictures besides aircraft and do not worry about aircraft in flight. I have done that wrong enough to learn what not to do. I am now looking at doing other shots... Maybe I will try some Lightning shots. ;) or possible some shots of telephone poles and stuff.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

apologies for assuming airplanes
    Manny Gonzalez

Hyper Focal has always confused me, but using the iFotobacus App for iPhone, at 400mm, f/11, it gives a near focus limit of 1256ft, hyperfocal distance of 2512ft, and far focus of infinity. (That's based on my Canon 40D). Almost seems ideal for some "reach" shooting ie: Bayswater & HoBe. Can someone who understands the concept tell me if I'm right or way off base here?

Theoretically. But I have missed focus by a hair, at f/11, and NOTHING was in focus. Hyperfocal to me has always failed me, even with light poles
    Manny Gonzalez