Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: National Opt Out Day We. 24Nov

National Opt Out Day We. 24Nov

First off every day should be opt out day on the "naked body " scanners. but the We, before Thanksgiving is the official day. The media is now picking up on this. Just go to Google & type in "National Opt out Day" & there will be many hits.
    www.optoutday.com
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

Have fun with that.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

EMS:
    Thanks. We will
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

Not to sound rude but this is a horrible idea on one if the busiest days, want an easy solution? Don't fly. Take the train. No security for that
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Quote Originally Posted by seahawks7757 View Post
    Not to sound rude but this is a horrible idea on one if the busiest days
    I believe that is why they picked that day.
    And it seems like the backlash against the scanners is growing.

True, but by flying you make the choice to do this. So you really it is you that makes the choice to put your self up to going through security, If you don't want to go through it then don't buy a plane ticket and don't don't fly commercially then. That is where it is really your choice.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Now is why im really happy im flying on the 22nd to PHX.

True, but by flying you make the choice to do this. So you really it is you that makes the choice to put your self up to going through security, If you don't want to go through it then don't buy a plane ticket and don't don't fly commercially then. That is where it is really your choice.
    FRom what I am reading it seems like the big problem is actually not with the scanners but the rude, inconsiderate and arrogant TSA people who conduct the "enhanced pat downs" when you opt out. Aggressive fondling and touching seems to be a big problem. And seriously I might just lose it if I see some idiot doing that to my 16 year old daughter or my wife!!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Not to sound rude but this is a horrible idea on one if the busiest days, want an easy solution? Don't fly. Take the train. No security for that
    Until the next attack is on a train, subway or bus. That is the problem with security. hindsight is 2020

I have to respectfully disagree. CHOICE is a relative term. Often times, getting from point A to point B requires air travel, hence choice is non existent.

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway View Post
    Have fun with that.
    I was thinking of getting a tattoo, identically on my tummy and on my back, that says "TERRORISTS AND THE TSA CAN SUCK MY..." with an arrow pointing down.

Seems like an ideal use of freedom of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    FRom what I am reading it seems like the big problem is actually not with the scanners but the rude, inconsiderate and arrogant TSA people who conduct the "enhanced pat downs" when you opt out. Aggressive fondling and touching seems to be a big problem. And seriously I might just lose it if I see some idiot doing that to my 16 year old daughter or my wife!!
    Should make for a nice lawsuit. I already predicted the underwear bomber just a day after Richard Reid. When will we see the first charges of sexual assault?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    This whole scanner thing is a bunch of BS. Who gives a rip who sees your genitals? You realize the government is trying to keep flying safe? The pat downs are a disaster but we wouldn't need them if everyone just walked through the scanner.

If you don't want them then you all better warm up to the fact people are going to die because without this level of security AQ is going to get one past them and bring a plane down. I don't get the opposition to wiretapping and these scanners you think these people care what you say? Or are going to remember what your boobs look like after seeing thousands upon thousands a day?

This opt out day is just more smoke and mirrors and giving the poor people that have to put up with the flying public more of a hard time. Give it a break.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    If you Opt Out of the AIT you are subject to a standard pat down. The standard pat down has changed, the hand held metal detector is no longer used and as such there is more hands on to detect smuggled items.

Can you give me an example of when a TSA Officer was rude, inconsiderate or arrogant to you? It is their job to do a standard pat down if you Opt Out, it isn't their choice. Do you really think they want to pat down the variety of passengers that come through many of which need hygiene lessons.

Do you understand that the pat down is same sex? Trust me, no one is eager to touch your wife or daughter. It is easy to say you will "lose it" and call people idiots sitting behind a keyboard just like the people on flyertalk.com.

I have been through the scanner and in the room viewing the images. The image is so filtered down you don't see a definition of genitals, breast or face. There is a general outline. There are also processes in place that the officer viewing the image and the passenger will never be able to see each other. The next software upgrade will get rid of the monitoring station and the image will be right at the machine. On the screen will be a stick figure with boxes around suspect items.

Do I particularly like the backscatter or millimeter wave machines? Not really, I would prefer to see the thermal imager which does not have the privacy issues. These machines are not certified yet and need some work.

On the 24th people who Opt Out will be subject to a pat down like every other day. If there are lines, the only people this will hurt is fellow travelers.

I will be glad to discuss the matter and give what information I can but understand the officers and personnel at the airports are doing their jobs per the Operating Procedures. If you want to change things you need to focus your efforts at DC.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Can you give me an example of when a TSA Officer was rude, inconsiderate or arrogant to you? It is their job to do a standard pat down if you Opt Out, it isn't their choice. Do you really think they want to pat down the variety of passengers that come through many of which need hygiene lessons.

Well if you read what I wrote I never said anyone was rude, inconsiderate or arrogant to ME. The quote was "From what I am Reading"....
    Me, I have NO PROBLEM with going through the scanner. I could give two craps what someone sees who I never will see again. But apparently there are LOTS of people who do for a variety of reasons including religious and moral grounds. And many people are not happy with the "pat downs". I'm not saying this is systematic with all TSA but all you need is a number of yahoos generating bad publicity and there is a problem.

Do you understand that the pat down is same sex? Trust me, no one is eager to touch your wife or daughter. It is easy to say you will "lose it" and call people idiots sitting behind a keyboard just like the people on flyertalk.com.

Of course I understand that. And yes it is easy to say I will lose it because I absolutely would if I see some jerk (delete idiot) being inappropriate with my daughter or wife. I dont care if he has a "Badge" or not. And dont be so quick to dismiss the people on flyertalk.com and other websites. There seems to be a backlash gaining momentum in this country. Good customer service goes a long way in allaying peoples concerns and halting this backlash.
    Last edited by Gerard; 2010-11-15 at 09:21 PM.

So you are quoting what you read throughout your posting and taking it as fact. Have you gotten an emails from africa stating they need your help transferring money? I have been on Flyertalk for many years and have been called a pervert, shoe Nazi and worse and they know nothing what I do except Where I work.

Did you watch the video where the radio host had one of his workers claim to be handcuffed? Proven wrong and you could see she was being treated professionally. How about the recent incident at SAN? Was anyone rude, inconsiderate or arrogant to him? No, he started with "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested". Even after that they were professional with him. He is now getting his 15 minutes of fame.

An officer is not trying to be inappropriate with anyone. They are trained to perform the pat down a certain way and are tested yearly, trained weekly and should they were to do something inappropriate disciplined to the point of termination from a federal job. We pull video tapes daily and see more overreaction from persons out to prove their point than wrong doing on an officers side. People say they weren't told yet there are signs right in front of their faces and the officer is explaining the process.

The plain truth is if you divest properly and go through either the walk through metal detector or whole body imager and don't alarm you don't have an issue. Unfortunately the whole body imager is becoming the primary form of screening because the 1970s walk through metal detector just don't do the job anymore. The threat isn't guns or knives but explosives and the method of delivery has been in/under clothes (two females in Russia with explosives in their bra's and the "Christmas day bomber").

The customer service of trying to make sure people get to their destination safely is tough because everyone thinks they are the special ones. If I walked up to you, do you know who I am and what my intentions are? I love the question "do I look like a terrorist?". I can name a whole list of people who don't look like terrorist but are. As far as the elderly and children, who would you try to plant something on to get through? Proven numerous times it is elderly and children. I can tell you stories I can't write here.

As far as a bunch of yahoos, let's look at the news. How many cops, firefighters, sports figures and politicians are in the news on a daily basis for their wrong doings. Their whole groups don't get pegged as idiots or jerks but it is OK to do that for TSA personnel.
    Ronald Reagan

It didn't take too long to prove one of my points:
    http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads...721#post432721
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway View Post
    As far as a bunch of yahoos, let's look at the news. How many cops, firefighters, sports figures and politicians are in the news on a daily basis for their wrong doings. Their whole groups don't get pegged as idiots or jerks but it is OK to do that for TSA personnel.
    Mmmm, where did I write that ALL TSA are yahoos, idiots or jerks? Go back and READ what I did write. And where did I say I believe what I read on the websites as fact? But I understand your anger since it is your job and you take exception to people putting it down. I can respect that. But I also know you guys are developing a bad reputation and its getting national press and attention. Counter these allegations. Go on the offensive.
    And FYI I have been doing a lot of flying the past three years and on every trip I have had no trouble with TSA here in the NYC area or out of state. But I havent flown since the new
    scanners/pat downs have been in place or at least an airport they are in service so I have no experience with them. But I do see on TV News shows,in the papers and on the web tons of negatvity. Now whether its valid or not I dont know but it is turning into a PR nightmare.
    Sorry if I offended you I didnt mean to do that and I totally see where you are coming from. I wouldnt appreciate it if someone critiqued my job on the web!!