Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: National Opt Out Day We. 24Nov

Rather simply anyone complaining about his new procedure needs to drop it and get a life.... Try traveling over in Europe and in other countries where security is about 100 times more invasive and prying then here in the U.S. I have no issues with the body scanners and think it’s finally one of those pieces of technology that truly works to help secure from some real threats.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    EMS, its way too easy to get under your skin. I am prescribing you to have a glass of merlot before you post here...

or a 6 pack. I know you catch a lot of crap but in getting your point across, it seems you carry angst from elsewhere and unleash it here. But you have to admit that some every whacko flyertalker, there is a legitimate one, right?

In any event, and in all seriousness, I'll likely opt out. Truth is, with these scanners, what concerns me is not safety but the scan itself.

OUr government told us Agent Orange was safe.....too old an example?

Our government told us ground zero was safe to work in...more updated example. Point?

How can I trust a government to be honest about these scan's safety when we've been led down the wrong path before? Just saying.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    In any event, and in all seriousness, I'll likely opt out. Truth is, with these scanners, what concerns me is not safety but the scan itself.
    How can I trust a government to be honest about these scan's safety when we've been led down the wrong path before? Just saying.
    Interesting how there are different thoughts of how safe the radiation dosage is....
    http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/292414

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUST...6?pageNumber=2

So who does one believe?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    Try traveling over in Europe and in other countries where security is about 100 times more invasive and prying then here in the U.S.
    I flew to Italy last summer with a stop in Paris where we had to go through security again because we went to a different terminal and I didnt find it any more difficult than the US.
    Coming home we flew out of Venice and the security at Marco Polo Airport was wonderful. One of the couples we were with, the husband had a C-Pap machine and the security people
    there were very inquisitive about out but at the same time polite and understanding. And then when we landed at Charles DeGaulle we had to go through security again and once again
    I found it no more invasive or prying than the US.
    And BTW I was expecting the kind of security you alluded to but was pleasantly surprised with what I found.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    EMS, its way too easy to get under your skin. I am prescribing you to have a glass of merlot before you post here...

or a 6 pack. I know you catch a lot of crap but in getting your point across, it seems you carry angst from elsewhere and unleash it here. But you have to admit that some every whacko flyertalker, there is a legitimate one, right?

OUr government told us Agent Orange was safe.....too old an example?

Our government told us ground zero was safe to work in...more updated example. Point?

I just don't appreciate people reading things then rebroadcasting them as fact and not having first hand knowledge themselves.

I would say the percentage of normal to wacko on flyertalk has gotten very small.

Opt out is your choice but expect a pat down (or just fly any other airline but American at LGA ).

I got you on the what government tells you, I was at the WTC and am now Vice-President of the World Trade Center Rescuers Foundation. I get direct test results on all radiation tests done by the technicians so I see the information from our own machines so I have first hand knowledge of the amounts of radiation. I wouldn't go through it if I didn't know it was safe. I don't drink the Kool-aid, I find out the facts for myself.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

if not for nothing I'd proudly display my manhood for reasons of national security. Heck, I'd do it even if it wasn't for national security.

*gets another beer*
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    if not for nothing I'd proudly display my manhood for reasons of national security. Heck, I'd do it even if it wasn't for national security.

*gets another beer*
    LOL, us Irish just say "it ain't no big thing"
    Ronald Reagan

Us Italians say it is
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Program Coordinator
    Imagine that, days of tension instantly diffused by Mike announcing he'd show the world his junk in the interests of national security. What have we as a nation come to...

NLovis
    This is where working for a cargo company comes in handy. No patdowns But the downfall is you can only go where they fly to so your stuck in some sort of commercial thing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jerslice View Post
    Imagine that, days of tension instantly diffused by Mike announcing he'd show the world his junk in the interests of national security. What have we as a nation come to...
    I think Mike will show his junk for any reason
    Ronald Reagan

You can always rent a private jet...nobody is stopping you from doing that. If you do not like to fly commercial, don't. I do not like full body scanners, I do not like the idea of a pat down. I do not like diet coke and I do not like when Tommy gets mad. Can't we all just get along? If I have to fly commercial, I know what to expect and I will not gripe about....out loud that is!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

"Percentage of normal to wacko"- that's perfect, I love that term. The normal-to-wacko ratio.

On a serious note, both sides of this issue obviously hold valid points. I constantly find myself flipping from one side(being outraged) to the other(telling myself to get over it). I don't want to be exposed to any more radiation than I have to anymore(I've already had 2 CT scans this year already), and I don't want to be patted down, but I also don't want to have to worry about some moron getting on my flight with bad intentions. My personal experience with TSA is that they have given me excellent customer service, each and every time, and I work in customer service so I know when someone's doing a crap job.

I think the thing that settles the issue for me is this: I'd rather do the pat down or the machine(if it is in fact not as dangerous as some say) instead of keeping the old metal detectors and some idiot with PETN stuck between his ass cheeks gets on my plane. See because then, I won't have the opportunity to punch the *******'s lights out. Once you hear the explosion and feel the aircraft decompress and break apart around you, you'll wish you had opted for the pat-down or the machine. Suddenly, whether or not a TSA agent having seen your junk just doesn't seem like a big deal anymore does it?

My take... I think the scanners give off very little energy and only need to look at what bounces back so should not be enough to pass through you. That being said, what shows up on the screen is somewhat of every little boy's dream to look up a woman's dress and given human nature, there will be loads of voyeurism and sneering / snickers etc. Just human nature, plain and simple nothing you can do about it. Unless you have a Jewish Rabbi at the controls (and even that won't guarantee it) it will be a huge invasion of privacy, even if I consent to it. Even my doctor asks me to put on a robe after I disrobe LOL. Through the same technology minds that invented back-scatter scanners, they can find a way to not "show soo much detail"

Personally I prefer a pat-down when a female TSA is doing the pat-down LOL. Not fun with a male TSA officer. I mean, one can at least enjoy the pat-down.. .can't really get "in to it" when it is just one sided hahaha.

I also second the statement about professionalism. On my last 10 trips I have had a great experience through the scanners/pat-downs/searches etc. Never a problem... always told what they are about to do, always ask if it is ok.

Now think of the famous Seinfeld episode: "Shrinkage"

And on a final note
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS