Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JFK 11/13/2010 - Great Weather, Great Spotting

JFK 11/13/2010 - Great Weather, Great Spotting

Went out to JFK today mainly to go with my friend Bill "Woz" as he had not been officially spotting to JFK. Turned out to be a terrific day both for spotting and for weather and light. We were even treated to an impromptu KC-10 Extender refueling op overhead of another KC-10 Extender. My D2Xs failed me badly as it totally underexposed ALL the shots.

Well, I just wanted to post this because it seems BOTH my cameras are suffering from this problem ???? Never noticed it before today. IF I swing up fast I get completely underexposed shots... both Manual and Aperture Priority.

Here is a SALVAGED shot of the refueling overhead at Bayswater :-(

oh, this is a crop of the original JPG out of the camera. Exposure was set to Manual so I am not sure why it would underexpose like this so badly.

Some of the better ones

Last edited by gonzalu; 2010-11-13 at 09:44 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Nice picture! I was actually flying over Eastern Long Island in another KC10 while you got this picture, probably around 10:30AM, right? Those two KC10s were doing random-AR and were headed direct JFK - Hoist99 and 98 I think were the callsigns...

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, United States, 112125562137166, Reynoldsburg, Ohio
    Nice pic. I headed back to ohio today!

It was great meeting new people and Manny, I want to thank you for the addition for my lens... without which this shot would probably not be possible...

I'll upload some more tonight as i Process the 1500 images i took...
    Last edited by SDRivers; 2010-11-13 at 11:14 PM.

Well..............it turned out to be a great day! Manny and I were taken by surprise by the KC-10s refueling right above us as we were spotting at Bayswater park. It was nice meeting Bill, Sam (again), Nick, Dan just to mention a few. Here are some of my captures:

KC-10s refueling:

Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Sam, you're welcome on the TC-17 :-) I think it's a great compromise between the 1.4x and the 2.0x converters. And you used it well !

I have to get a better shot of that Lufthansa Cargo. Only have it lining up on 4L from Bays.

Nice pics so far all... now there were lots more cameras there yesterday, let's see more pics :-) I was experimenting yesterday with new settings to try and beat some of the problems I have been having lately (see other thread) and I accidentally left the camera on Manual Exposure and some shots were severely under/over exposed :-( Looks like light down on 4L turnaround is totally different than it is on 4R at 100' lol
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2010-11-14 at 06:02 AM.
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07 View Post
    Nice picture! I was actually flying over Eastern Long Island in another KC10 while you got this picture, probably around 10:30AM, right? Those two KC10s were doing random-AR and were headed direct JFK - Hoist99 and 98 I think were the callsigns...

Yeah that sounds right. We felt it was king of odd to be doing this right over NYC, indeed right over JFK busy airspace. I must say it was real pretty to see the perfect formation. Thank god I looked up to check out a con-trail and said "what's that?" At first it looked like it could be a Twin Mustang LOL. I said no way. The binoculars really came in handy today.

Say, is this something we can prepare for in advance? This is now the second time one of us catches refueling overhead around JFK. I'd like to be prepared for more and maybe get better shots!

One more edit out of the can

Manny Gonzalez

Manny.............I noticed I had the same issue with shooting on the 4s........I was using center-weighted metering, Aperture Priority. When on 4R, I compensated my exposure value (EV) by +0.3, but while shooting on 4L, my EV was set to -0.3 or maybe even -0.7.

Sam............the 70-200mm lens + 1.7 TC is a sweet combo for spotting or even air shows. The 70-200mm is a sharp lens. By the way, always carry an extra charged battery especially during the colder days. The juice gets used up a little faster.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

Mark, yeah weird... I guess it has to do with the heat / haze?

Sam, also remember the battery on the D700 is tiny compared to the D2/3 series which are almost twice as big capacity-wise.
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Yeah that sounds right. We felt it was king of odd to be doing this right over NYC, indeed right over JFK busy airspace. Say, is this something we can prepare for in advance? This is now the second time one of us catches refueling overhead around JFK. I'd like to be prepared for more and maybe get better shots!]
    Was thinking the same exact thing concerning the refueling right over JFK. Gonzalu what was their altitude? The last time I saw that was a few days after 9/11 and I was on my deck
    when I looked up to see something that looked strange. Using my binocs I saw a fighter jet doing an air refueling.

Well mathematically, I believe 10,000 feet. That assumes they were at 45 degrees inclination from my spot when they were over a spot at 1 mile from my position.

Tan (45) * 1 mile = 8552 feet or thereabouts. So my guess of 10,000. :-)

But I am the worlds worst sextant .. The formula needs to have exact angles and distances. We should have a sextant on our next spotting outing lol
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2010-11-14 at 01:20 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez

Some more pics...

Delta N667US Boeing 747-451 Fleet Number 6307

Emirates SkyCargo

Emirates A380 on final to RWY 31L as usual

New tail for this PIA

This Kalitta Air Cargo has an PAPD logo on the front door in honor of those officers lost on 9/11!

My first Delta Habitat for Humanity in flight!

and another low level take off directly overhead .. this was fun :-)

Manny Gonzalez

Well mathematically, I believe 10,000 feet. That assumes they were at 45 degrees inclination from my spot when they were over a spot at 1 mile from my position.
    But I am the worlds worst sextant .. The formula needs to have exact angles and distances. We should have a sextant on our next spotting outing lol
    Huh? Wah? Duh? LOL!!! Thanks

Excellent stuff Manny!!!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

No chance they were at 10,000 feet. More likely FL230 Block 250 or thereabouts...

Not a usual occurrence to do AR over NYC simply because the airspace is so congested and we need a block of altitude when we AR. Happens every so often though, especially if we're going somewhere in formation or the like and get approval...