Thread: School tells boy "American flag no longer welcome on campus"

School tells boy "American flag no longer welcome on campus"

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-a...45879.htmlstory

13-year-old Cody Alicea rides with an American flag on the back of his bike. He says he does this to be patriotic and to honor veterans, like his own grandfather, Robert. He's had the flag on his bike for two months but Monday, was told to take it down.

A school official at Denair Middle School told Cody some students had been complaining about the flag and it was no longer allowed on school property.

"In this country we're supposed to be free," said Cody. "And I should be able to wave my flag wherever I want to. And they're telling me I can't." Cody had to take the flag off his bike and put it in his backpack, where he kept it all week.

Cody's grandfather says the school was concerned about racial tensions or uprisings because of the flag. He feels if there was really a problem it should have been brought up two months ago, not during Veterans week. And if it was an issue of safety, parents should have been contacted.
    On Veteran's Day week, too. What a slap in the face (which those school admins need a few of.)

How is this any different from everyone riding around with those American flags on their car that year or so following 9/11? What kind of racial tensions could be caused by this, anyway? We live in America, and he was riding around in America. Not downtown Tehran, for cryin' out loud.
    Last edited by flyboy 28; 2010-11-12 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy 28 View Post
    How is this any different from everyone riding around with those American flags on their car that year or so following 9/11? What kind of racial tensions could be caused by this, anyway? We live in America, and he was riding around in America. Not downtown Tehran, for cryin' out loud.
    I cant tell the difference between Tehran and anywhere in the USA anymore.

Those students complaining should get educated about our great country America! When I was in grammer school every classroom had an American flag, and at the beginning of the day we would all state the Pledge of Allegiance. Let the boy show his pride of being an American, otherwise expel the principal.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by CDeezNutz! View Post
    I cant tell the difference between Tehran and anywhere in the USA anymore.
    Well this did happen in Mexicafornia which is basically it's own country anyway. Broke too.

Here is a follow up to this story. This has to be one of the best gestures I have ever seen.

'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Excellent follow-up!!!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet