Thread: Star Mega Do 2 - November 1-6 - JFK-FRA-IAH-PHX-PAE-SEA-IAH (Joined at IAH)

Star Mega Do 2 - November 1-6 - JFK-FRA-IAH-PHX-PAE-SEA-IAH (Joined at IAH)

Having thought that last year's MegaDo was virtually unbeatable, I could never have imagined that this one would come close---but it did-and as some of you have already read, in a very special way.

The actual event began at the Westin in NYC on Halloween with a welcome dinner and send off event, sponsored by SPG (Starwood Hotels). The next evening, those headed to Frankfurt were welcomed by Lufthansa at their spectacular JFK lounge, then off to Frankfurt. In Germany the group met with Lufthansa and Star Alliance executives, participated in focus groups, and was welcomed aboard the newest member of the Lufthansa fleet, the A380. After a dinner hosted by Lufthansa in their world renowned First Class terminal at FRA, the group boarded 2 flights on Wednesday the 3rd headed to Houston, which is where I joined the festivities.

Wednesday evening some friends and I went for Tex Mex and Thursday morning, we gathered in the hotel lobby to be bussed over to the Continental Hangar at IAH for a meet and greet with Continental and United Executives, and a close up with a 737-800. We were served lunch by our gracious hosts, which consisted of Continental's famous cheeseburger and accompaniments. We were given a brief presentation by management of the new United, then returned to the hotel to prepare for the 1st Annual Frequent Traveler Award ceremony, which was organized by the same team who organized this Do.

The banquet was just amazing, representatives of all major travel companies were in attendance, and believe it or not, on a global scale, the winners overall were Lufthansa, Kingfisher and Marriott, each getting a significant number of trophies.

Friday morning, up at 4:30AM, greeted by champagne in the lobby of the hotel, we were driven to IAH, where the group check in counter was set up for our private charter to PHX, with ongoing service to PAE in Everett. To say that this charter wound up being a party flight would be an understatement....imagine if you will a 757-300 full of frequent fliers out to have a good time...or better yet don't

Arriving at PHX on a beautiful Friday morning, we were taken by bus over to the Desert Botanical Garden, for a presentation and reception hosted by US Airways. The welcoming delegation was led by none other than US' Chairman and CEO Doug Parker. I must say I was surprised and impressed that Doug not only agreed to host but attend himself with what he must have known would be a hostile crowd. I won't bore you with the details, but it was a very interesting visit with our friends from Tempe. You can read about it here...http://www.starmegado.com/2010/11/05...h-doug-parker/

The best, however was yet to come. We were driven back to PHX, boarded our charter for the flight to PAE, and the party continued. We had originally planned to do a low pass at PAE, however, the weather was at minimums and as it turns out we were within 100 feet of not making it into Everett! Our arrival was caught by Matt Cawby here: http://kpae.blogspot.com/ .

Into the welcome center for a brief presentation with the marketing staff of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, who told us they had a spectacular program in store for us, including visits ON BOARD the 787 Dreamliner (ZA003, a test craft), and the DreamLifter, the modified 747 which carries parts of the 787 to the assembly line..We were given VIP treatment, including a visit to the floor of the main plant, where we walked the 747-8i line, 767, 777 and 787 lines close up.

As it turns out Boeing said we were the very first non-airline employees permitted on board the 787, and we were not disappointed. They told us they wanted us to leave Everett feeling like 4 year olds at Christmas and we certainly did feel like that.

Back aboard Boeing provided busses, we were driven to the Sheraton Seattle, where we attended a dinner and reception hosted again by SPG-Starwood Preferred Guest program.

Finally, we made it to the Westin, where the majority of us were staying, to get a couple of hours sleep before being driven back to SEA-TAC for our charter flight back to IAH and my continuing flight to LGA.

Another party flight, a 4 hour layover in IAH, where a number of us partied at the C North Presidents Club, and finally I was on the last leg-flight 732 to LGA.

My first few photos are here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=5ceefba24e

And next time I invite some of you to join this event, some of you might want to consider it ;)
    Last edited by Art at ISP; 2010-11-07 at 07:31 PM.
    It's the fares, stupid

Great story and photos... I hope to be able to do this one day ;-)
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Folks,

I finally got around to uploading my photos here: http://justplanecrazyphotos.smugmug....88064494_5xZPx

Enjoy.
    It's the fares, stupid