Thread: Newsflash - I was ON the 787 Dreamliner ZA003 yesterday!

Newsflash - I was ON the 787 Dreamliner ZA003 yesterday!

As part of Star Megado 2, yesterday, 200 Frequent Flyers and myself were treated to a VIP tour of Boeing Everett, which INCLUDED us actually landing at PAE in a charter CO 757-300!

We were the FIRST members of the general public to be permitted on board an ACTUAL Dreamliner- Test Aircraft ZA003, while being prepped for another test flight. We were not permitted to photograph, but I am trying to get the photos from Boeing PR.

Oh - ALSO went on board DreamLifter --man we could have a heckuva a party on board that monster!!!

Needless to say it was a helluva trip- you can read more here : www.starmegado.com.

Man I am truly Sleepless in Seattle right now-greetings from the 30th floor of the Westin. Now off to Seatac and home.

Sorry guys had to share :)
    It's the fares, stupid

NLovis
    Yes the Dreamlifter is huge on the inside. You wont truelly feel it untill you actually step inside of it and see it in person. There is also nothing like being in it when Dreamliner wings are inside of it heading to PAE. Rant all you want about the outside but the inside is simply amazing. But i envy you for being so close to a 787. DARN YOU

But i envy you for being so close to a 787. DARN YOU
    I second that!

-Tad

Just landed at IAH on my way home. The 787 looked very big inside, but in fact it's not much bigger than a 767. It's a beautiful airplane.
    We also saw a few 747-8's including the first 747-8 Intercontinental in final assembly.
    I will post photos when I can but we weren't allowed to shoot at Boeing.

It's funny--as you know I am an airline and frequent flier advocate, and this experience made me forget my meeting with Doug Parker and US senior management earlier in the day.
    It's the fares, stupid

I was there too and am suffering from sensory overload!

We toured the factory floor first. The first thing I noticed was the overwhelming size of the factory as right in front of me was a fully-assembled 747-8i. After I picked up my jaw off the floor we donned headsets and began the tour. We gathered for a group photo in front of the newest Queen of the Sky then passed the massive landing gear trucks of the second 747-8i that is currently being assembled. We could see her forward fuselage currently being worked on as we were led to the next assembly area that is filled with sub-assemblies for other 747s as well as the static test 787 still in the test frame (but not under load).

We passed by a Turkish Airlines 777 (Line number 906?) with her two MASSIVE GE90 engines awaiting installation then walked between her and an ANA 787 being worked on our way to the main 777 assembly line. We then saw the 777 moving production line (alas - not currently moving) where line numbers 997 (Egypt Air) and 908 (Ethiopian) in post join assembly. We passed in front of 997 and made our way around to see line number 909 and 910 in pre-join construction jigs.

Then we were led to a freight elevator that took us up to the third floor where we had a view overlooking the 787 production line. This is were we saw line number 26 (Air India), 27 (JAL), 28 (Air India) and 29 (Air India?) being assembled. We then went back downstairs and in front of the Air India 787 to the exit point.

At this point we got on the bus to view the Dreamlifter, but instead diverted to the DreamLiner.

Wow!!!! Boeing gave all of us kids a tour of the candy shop! Got to sit in the bulkhead seat and dim the window, went up into the crew rest area just behind the cockpit and then took a look into the cockpit. Unfortunately, there was no sitting in the seats, but I won't complain too much.

After a group pic we went to the Dream Lifter. At that point we were treated to the sight of a recently unloaded wing set that was unloaded while we were in the 787. Then we went into the cavernous hall of the Dream lifter. Wow! it was concert hall HUGE inside!

For me, this was the highlight of the Flyer Talk junket. Boeing really gave us a treat! It's simply amazing to see where these massive beauties come to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Art at ISP View Post
    It's funny--as you know I am an airline and frequent flier advocate, and this experience made me forget my meeting with Doug Parker and US senior management earlier in the day.
    Doug??? Oh yeah, that guy

This had to have been a wonderful trip. Glad you got to go on that plane.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Art at ISP View Post
    Just landed at IAH on my way home. The 787 looked very big inside, but in fact it's not much bigger than a 767. It's a beautiful airplane.
    We also saw a few 747-8's including the first 747-8 Intercontinental in final assembly.
    I will post photos when I can but we weren't allowed to shoot at Boeing.

Sounds like you had an awesome trip. Can't wait to hear more and see some pics.

Welcome Jetz !!!! It's about time we saw you around here :)
    It's the fares, stupid