Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon gear in need of good home.

Program Coordinator

Canon gear for sale: taking offers

It is with a heavy heart that I'm looking to sell some items to fund some upgrades:

Canon 100-400L IS f/4.5-5.6
    Canon 10-22
    Canon 40D
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8L

Contact me at [email protected] to make an offer and/or request more information

Breakdown on the lenses:
    Canon 100-400: This lens, as many of you know, was my go to cash-cow lens for years and earned its money's worth. However my needs have changed and the 70-200 is meeting what I need now along with some of the big prime lenses if I need the reach. That said it is still a solid performer and while it doesn't get the attention it used to I still take it out for a spin on occasion to make sure its in good order. It maintained some slight aesthetic scratches to the depth of field preview contact about 6 months ago, which has not affected its performance at all. I still use it when I need the reach, but the prime glass really got to me. It currently has an aesthetically pleasing A10 West sticker on the lens hood, which comes free. I can remove it if you like.

Canon 10-22: This lens has earned me a handful of sales and even an award - probably the only item in my bag that has paid for itself in full. So why am I selling it? I plan to pick up a full frame and a 17-40L, which means I'm not gaining anything by keeping it anymore. The lens is better than what you'd expect for the money - I've loved the perspective it can offer me while using the crop sensor cameras. Worth its weight in gold to have and a lot of fun to play with.

Canon 40D: yeah it's getting dated but it still kicks the ass of the 50 & probably even 60D. Wonderful colors and saturation this body still lays claim to most of the best pics I've taken. But it's time to part ways, and this classic can be yours. I estimated around 40k shutter actuations.

Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
    : The workhorse lens for many photojournalists and event photographers worldwide, I have to admit that I have a really hard time unloading this one as I love the f/2.8 and it is very sharp. Seriously so much fun. However, as I'm reviewing the coming years photographic plan I need a wide angle with IS since I can't afford a gyro. And this lens just doesn't have it. There are a few knicks from an incident early this year, and the focal barrel is a bit stiff if you're very picky. Optically it performs just as well as the day I got it from B&H, and a camera tech at a reputable Seattle establishment recently gave it a clean bill of health. I'd love to be able to say I can afford retaining this beauty and have both, and I just might cry if I sell her down the river, but if I keep renting the 24-105 IS I might as well have bought it anyways. This one also has an aesthetically pleasing A10 West sticker on the lens hood, which comes free. I can remove it if you like.
    Last edited by jerslice; 2010-11-06 at 12:40 AM.

Finally switching to Nikon Jeremy? Wise decision!

-Tad

He never said he was getting rid of his 7D :P
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Program Coordinator
    No Tad, much as I know you'd love to see that day I'm still with Canon :-)

Near FRG, when not living out of a suitcase
    Email sent.

much as I know you'd love to see that day
    With the RUMOR that Canon is coming out with a revamped 100-400 EF lens and Nikon still not even thinking of a revamped 80-400 AF-S lens, I have been throwing around the possibility of jumping ship to Canon myself. At this point though this debate only rages in my head, which would freak a lot of people out to have a transcript printed in this thread of what I do think about.

-Tad

Tad,

Canon and Nikon have very similar product lines and the end results are typically within a hair of each other. You really can;t go wrong with either system which is what it comes down to in the end. My preference for Nikon has always been ergonomics and glass (for me) and basically once I began to invest heavily in Nikon glass, it is hard to "jump ship".

So if you have a lot of gear, then it is safe to switch without much financial loss. Do think about testing and trying the camera first. Not everyone loves Nikon ergonomics or the opposite. I personally can't get used to or get the hang of Canon ergonomics. And Tv, Av etc. still confuse me. Obviously a non issue for someone who has been shooting Canon all their lives. There will always be something on the neighbors lawn that you desire to have no matter which side of the street you're on.

That being said, the 100-400mm Canon is currently faster focusing and of a better glass formula than the Nikon 80-400. You also can only get the MP count with a D3X or else is 12MP until the D7000 comes out. Don;t forget the 50-500 Sigma is also an excellent choice except for rather poor IQ in the extreme edges/corners, especially on full frame sensors.

Maybe that's the reason Airliners.net does not support EXIF data in order to neutralize the debate. I have seen great photos using unknown brands.

Cheers!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Program Coordinator
    They say they're coming out with one, and it looks more possible than in years past. That being said who knows. Either way I don't use it enough anymore to warrant keeping it. I'll sell you my 40D and the 100-400 I have now :-)

Canon and Nikon have very similar product lines and the end results are typically within a hair of each other.
    Very good points Manny! I have looked at the Sigma 50-500 a couple times, if nothing else but to not have to switch lenses for different A/C at BFI. Right now I am shooting with the Tokina 80-400, which I really do like. And with the D7000 due out soon, will probably not pursue the change to Canon, but instead invest in other items. More just a case of "the grass is greener on the other side" right now.

-Tad

NLovis
    Hey jeremy would that 100-400 be any good for a novice like me? (sticker included)

Program Coordinator
    Hey jeremy would that 100-400 be any good for a novice like me? (sticker included)
    The 100-400 won't fail to disappoint if you don't have L glass now. It's a big and noticeable step up for sure. I'm taking offers on it, so feel free to email me.

I thought I just read somewhere that Nikon has filed a patent for a new, AF-S 80-400. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up as I was writing that.

Program Coordinator
    I've heard that.

NLovis
    Quote Originally Posted by jerslice View Post
    The 100-400 won't fail to disappoint if you don't have L glass now. It's a big and noticeable step up for sure. I'm taking offers on it, so feel free to email me.
    Well I am at work now so would it be possible to talk via PM?

I will be the first to order it... hahaha.. my current copy collects dust in a closet somewhere in the house. the 200-400 has been the workhorse lately, although it is DIFFICULT to conceal it and to hang on your neck for hours.

BTW the patent was filed in December 2009, so take it with a grain of salt ... IT's coming, we know that but when is the question. It will have AF-S and VRII for sure... what else is to be decided. I hope for 70-450 or 80-500 (hey we can wish) so that it makes more sense on FX but would be happy with 400 either way.

D7000+80-400mm AF-S VRII

sounds nice ;-)
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2010-11-05 at 10:41 AM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS