Thread: Photos of a gone era...

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Photos of a gone era...

I've always bee na huge fan of local history and always enjoy the books from these series:

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/

But this local story caught my eye. I'd love to see this as a book or a huge display.
    http://www.newsday.com/long-island/l...ived-1.2413195
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Great series of books, and amazing pictures from Mrs. Lentini -- a slice of life I am actually just old enough to remember.
    It's the fares, stupid

Dex
    Thats pretty cool. I really like it. What an amazing series of books. . . Thanks for sharing. . . :)

Quote Originally Posted by Art at ISP View Post
    -- a slice of life I am actually just old enough to remember.
    I remember this too. When I saw the picture of the Milkman, it immediately brought back the memories. They say you remember odors from your childhood, but I remember the sounds of the milkman.

At about 5am you would hear his milk truck pull up on the street in front of the house, and he would pull back the sliding drivers side door. Next you would hear the distinctive clanging of the milk bottles in his little carrier as he walked up to your front stoop. You would hear more clanging as he took out the empties and replaced them in the metal milkbox that everyone had on their stoop. When the box was full, you would hear him close the top with a distinctive "thud". The bottles clanged as he returned to his truck, shut the door and drove away.
    The best part of this was that if you left a note in the milkbox, you could also request that he leave you a box of donuts, or bread or muffins which he kept on the truck. (Remember kiddies, this was way before the days of 7-11 or Starbucks)

Whoa...when did Newsday take down their paywall?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Three or four weeks ago, Matt. It is only through January 11 - they have a banner saying it is sponsored by the Radio City Christmas show.