Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Badass Military Aircraft?

On the airplane side of things, A10... That thing can issue a beating and take a beating... More than few returned to base during GW1 with a large amount of flight surface missing.....
    Also. The Mi24..... First hand experince with that one this summer. That helicopter is the most intense peice of rotory that has ever flown.... It will easily go 250 knots (Even if the book says NO!) in level flight at low levels.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    For fictional, if fictional is allowed, I like Blue Thunder :-) Based on a French Aérospatiale SA 341/SA 342 Gazelle

Yea, but Airwolf was a Mach 1+ airframe that took out fighter jets and got stuck on the edge of space only to be saved by a quick thinking De-pressurization! I think if put up against a AIM-54, it actually would have won! Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

On a side note, you can watch all the episodes on Netflix for free as they have the first month free and then like 10 bucks a month!
    The best is the two airwolf episodes where they turn them into flight simulators!!! GOOD STUFF
    Last edited by Derf; 2010-10-28 at 09:44 PM.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Wow, Blue Thunder. totally forgot about that. LOL

@ the original topic, depends on your definition of tough. In my mind, tough means durable, handy, effective.

The award goes to....

We already know that

a) when sheshows up, the enemy hath shat their panties
    b) you can riddle her with bullets and that wing and titanium tub will fortify the pilots protection and fortify your ability to get that plane back even after she'd been shot up with bullets.

Moose, I feel you on the fuel thing. but Phil didnt asked for most NECESSARY A/C.

And Fred.....

hate to break it to you but the F-14 is not tough.

Jetwash..

Just ask Goose.

;) ;)
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

This year I found outthat the front wheel well has to get filled with heavy weights to balance the aircraft when there is no ammo for the gun... that's how heavy the depleted uranium shells are.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

B-52s are pretty tough too as well as deadly ;-)

Manny Gonzalez

PHOTOCHOP. :-p
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    This is simply not true... The AIM-54 has an excellent record. Better than any other missile fired from an F-14. Too bad that all kills were from Iran! A Phoenix was never fired in an actual engagement from any U.S. Aircraft. The numbers on the Iranian side are available in books published and you can see the info on every Iranian engagement. For so few misslies, they did shoot lots of planes down with them.

The funny part is that the Iranian version was slimmed down with no countermeasures!
    Actually, if you really read about it, there's mainly just claims that Iran pulled that off. No one's really sure if it's true or not. Not like Iran's the least bit shadey..

Well I will straddle the line of fiction / non-fiction and say that this would have ruined someones day, but when they saw it, it would have been all over.

Too bad we will never get to see this or the SR-71 fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    Actually, if you really read about it, there's mainly just claims that Iran pulled that off. No one's really sure if it's true or not. Not like Iran's the least bit shadey..
    lots of planes went down, Sidewinders, Sparrows and Phoenix oh MY.... There are confirmed kills and smoking holes in the desert. You said that No Phoenix ever took down a plane out in actual combat. This is not true, if you want to you can find the smoking hole pictures online of different aircraft shot down by them. The kills are confirmed and lots are not. Most are confirmed by both sides. The Phoenix has an excellent record or they would not have purchased them for 1mill a piece. It would be much cheaper to purchase a dozen or so sidewinders if they were not reliable.
    Last edited by Derf; 2010-10-29 at 11:16 AM.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

lots of planes went down, Sidewinders, Sparrows and Phoenix oh MY.... There are confirmed kills and smoking holes in the desert. You said that No Phoenix ever took down a plane out in actual combat. This is not true, if you want to you can find the smoking hole pictures online of different aircraft shot down by them. The kills are confirmed and lots are not. Most are confirmed by both sides. The Phoenix has an excellent record or they would not have purchased them for 1mill a piece. It would be much cheaper to purchase a dozen or so sidewinders if they were not reliable.
    Every thing I have read, right down to official fact files only calls the kills 'claimed'.

you will never see a U.S. Document saying confirmed unless a U.S. Serviceman shoots down their fighter and it is confirmed by a friendly. Lots of planes were lost, None confirmed by U.S. forces. Plenty confirmed by them.

An AIM 54 has never been shot by U.S. Forces in anger.
    An AIM 54 has never missed while in an actual dogfight as it has never been used by U.S. but at 1 mil...I would bet all the money in my bank account that it was preferred by any F-14 pilot up against any other missle.... I know this as I have asked a few of them

They have shot them, They understand them, they wanted them.

you will never see a U.S. Document saying confirmed unless a U.S. Serviceman shoots down their fighter and it is confirmed by a friendly. Lots of planes were lost, None confirmed by U.S. forces. Plenty confirmed by them.

An AIM 54 has never been shot by U.S. Forces in anger.
    An AIM 54 has never missed while in an actual dogfight as it has never been used by U.S. but at 1 mil...I would bet all the money in my bank account that it was preferred by any F-14 pilot up against any other missle.... I know this as I have asked a few of them

They have shot them, They understand them, they wanted them.
    Actually, three AIM-54s were fired over the Iraqi no-fly zone in 1999, one at a Mig-25, the other a Mig-23. The source comes from the DoD in the notes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-54_Phoenix

On January 5, 1999, a pair of U.S. F-14s fired two AIM-54 at Iraqi MiG-25s southeast of Baghdad (both missed).[5]
    On September 9, 1999 another U.S. F-14 launched an AIM-54 at an Iraqi MiG-23 that was heading south into the No-Fly Zone from Al Taqaddum air base west of Baghdad. The missile missed, eventually going into the ground.[6]

I had not seen this before. I stand corrected.... sorry sir

The -53 is indeed a badass and intimidating acft. For a fixed wing vote I nominate the AC-130. I saw them up close and personal overseas and you cannot get the true sense of awesome this plane has, unless you see it in person. Hearing it fire helps as well.

I took some pics of a Spectre back in 2005 at JSOH / Andrews...

Manny Gonzalez