Thread: A New Camera

NLovis

Lightbulb A New Camera

I have been thinking about replaceing my Canon Power Shot A1100IS as I feel I have reached my peak potential with the camera. Does anybody know of any cameras small like it that can easily fit into a pocket but have higher quality capabilities? This Is what I am currently going for as my spotting area is more concentraited within the AOA of JFK. I am also thinking about a long range camera after this so I can join the rest of you out at the spotting locations. Any help would be appreciated.

Ultracompact? If so, I'd opt for any of the Fuji FinePix cameras, especially good in low light. If you want a top of the line Point and Shoot, I think the newest Nikon P7000 is a killer cam. Going to try it today at Photo Expo but the specs are awesome.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 is also a really nice small camera.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

NLovis
    Any of those do good both at low light and aim n shoot?

I'd go look into the Pani myself... the P7000 is great but maybe overkill for your needs. The Pani has a proven track record. I think if you;re ever going to expect good performance in low light, a small camera will always be poor but Fuji has good tech in this arena... there are slightly larger more expensive cameras that do well in low light but they may be out of your desired range price/size
    Manny Gonzalez

NLovis
    Well we will see. It can always make a good x mas gift

If you can get your hands on a Leica D-Lux4, they're excellent compacts. The imagery is excellent. Saying this, unfortunately, Leica stopped making the D-LUX4. The D-LUX5 has taken its place. I haven't had the pleasure of shooting with it. You should also look at Panisonic Lumix's. They have a license to make Leica lenses for their cameras.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

Leica's are Pani guts so basically same technology... just in case someone was wondering if Leica somehow was able to make their own ;-) They are a glass and mechanical company mainly. Their attention to detail is of course legendary. Logos are not simply stenciled or even painted.. no, they are carved deep into the metal and FILLED with quality enamels = last forever!

Also worth noting is that Leicas are really priced much higher than they should be or for that matter, comparable technology!
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2010-11-02 at 10:23 AM.
    Manny Gonzalez

IMHO, if your goal is to achieve the level of quality that we've come to know and love at some of our favorite aviation web sites, you will be wasting your time getting a different P & S. If you need something that fits in your pocket for work, just stick with what you have. Save your pennies for the DSLR outfit for the other times that you can go spotting and can carry the gear with you. I have not seen a point and shoot camera that can overcome the inherent noise issues that come with a small sensor.

@SmAlbany you're missing the point. NLovis has unusual access to the planes and needs the best quality in a pocketable/concealable format... nothing to do with ultimate quality overall ;-) We all know that a 2 1/4 inch sensor will give higher quality than a 35mm sensor or a crop sensor etc. etc. He would not last long on the ramp if he whips out a dSLR and lenses.
    Manny Gonzalez

Manny- interesting comment there, as I always assumed that if you were a ramper, you basically had a pass to take pictures with whatever camera you wanted (as long as you didn't make it too obvious/kept things within reason, like not getting too close to a runway). Shows how much I know.

And I know this is the wrong thread, but those Halloween JFK shots are the bomb.

Oh megatop, thanks for the kind words man :-)

Yeah, I am not sure of the rules but I can tell you that at my job, it is PERFECTLY LEGIT to OWN a camera and even bring it to work. But you walk into an OR and all of a sudden, everyone is the FBI. So I keep it low key. This was the only shot I ever took with an SLR, otherwise is just my iPhone LOL

full knee replacement

sorry for the off-topic images.
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2010-11-02 at 01:38 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez

Point was taken. My point, more succinctly put, is that a P&S is a P&S. There will be no vast improvements by replacing one with another.

Not true at all.. .within each class, there are standouts. Believe me, on the high end, there is little difference in quality but on the middle and lower ends, there are huge differences.

Take a look at this:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209...oom/page14.asp

and this

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209...oom/page15.asp

That's only a small example of the huge differences from seemingly similar cameras. Look at the details in the trees, building details etc. While I understand where you are coming from, I could argue the same using your logic and say why do you waste time between Canon/Nikon 35mm dSRLs? Large Format and Medium Format sensors will trump the best Nikon/Canon has to offer today. If you need a compact cam, you can do better than just picking any of them
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    @SmAlbany you're missing the point. NLovis has unusual access to the planes and needs the best quality in a pocketable/concealable format... nothing to do with ultimate quality overall ;-) We all know that a 2 1/4 inch sensor will give higher quality than a 35mm sensor or a crop sensor etc. etc. He would not last long on the ramp if he whips out a dSLR and lenses.
    Is it cause it is JFK? I mean believe it or not the Port of Seattle gives me the evil eye when I am out there taking pics but as long as it is not of anything that is considered "Secure" like our bagwells area they don't say a thing as long as you are on duty out there.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

To be honest, I have NO CLUE.... I am just looking out for NLOvis best interest. If he is allowed, so be it, but if I were him, I'd protect it by not making it too obvious or where it looks like it is getting in the way. BEsides that, you are working so anyone like a manager can get upset OR a disgruntled co-worker can begin to make life hard for you.

For me, I have brought my D3 and 14-24mm into surgeries a lot of times, but it raises TONS of evil eyes as you call it lol. But the iPhone gets me not even a glance. I am also not there as a surgeon or a nurse or anything more than an IT geek on projects (I am usually observing for reasons of workflow improvements or process improvements etc.) I guess they see it as part of the job. I am sometimes asked why I need to use such pro equipment instead of a simple point and shoot. But I think it is more from an interest in photography than anything else. We also have HIPAA regulations to deal with so I make sure not to get any patient data or identity on any pictures.

Also if I tell the staff that I will be taking pictures, it goes much better. However I always make it a point that no one is really paying me too much mind. If they do, I take a break from it for a bit :-)

It's all in how you do it and keep it professional and not disruptive and you can likely do it forever.
    Manny Gonzalez