Thread: LGA today 10/24

LGA today 10/24

I want to go out and shoot at planeview... are planes departing or arriving out of this runway today? and if not... where is the next closest location to shoot?

Right now LGA is landing 22, departing 31. For this config, there aren't any good/legal spots for shooting good photos at all. If you're up for just watching, go to Spot D on the map... http://nycaviation.com/spotting-guides/lga/
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Well, Phil, there is a perfectly legal spot :-) Of course you either have to be an Inmate or a Corrections officer!

@SDRivers, you should listen to LiveATC.net or get their iPhone app if you have one. You can have up to the minute info on what runways are in use. The LiveATC audio feeds from their website will work on Safari browser but they die on me after 5 minutes of listening for some reason. Ended up spending for the app which was worth it.

From spot D you can get terrific views of the landing with NYC in the background. But to get anything that fills the frame, you will need above 600mm for crop sensor and probably 800mm for Full Frame unfortunately. If you have a higher MP crop sensor camera like a Canon 7D, you could get usable crops ... but the jets at this airport will usually be very small ones.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Decided to move onto JFK and baysview park... Can't wait for the late afternoon heavies departures.

Just back from probably what amounts to the best day in a long while for me, I seriously can't believe I haven't gone spotting before. I met some people from the forum, and some international guests. Learned a little of the lingo and got to see a A380 landing. Here are some of the images...

Looks like 4R for arrivals? Nice set of images... gotta love that A380! Too bad I couldn;t make it out today, I had family over and just did not have the time to drive 1 hour to and 1 hour from Bayswater lol.

Cheers.
    Manny Gonzalez

If you don't have an iPhone, LiveATC does have a mobile site for your blackberry or any phone with a browser. It's http://m.liveatc.net/

They have a Blackberry & Android app coming at some point

Quote Originally Posted by SDRivers View Post
    I want to go out and shoot at planeview... are planes departing or arriving out of this runway today? and if not... where is the next closest location to shoot?
    I actually used to live in the Bronx, If u like to catch the 22 landings head out to the Hunts Point Market by the sound or soundview. You can PM me for more details. The 22 landings are have good light from after 2pm till sunset.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

I thought hunts point was closed off now because of the market....?

The Market is part of Hunts Point but it is NOT Hunts Point Closed or not, Hunts Point is a community with public streets. If you go to the end of Farragut Avenue, you get about the same perspective as you would from College Point Shore Front Park... but I wouldn't want to hang out alone in this part of The Bronx, much less, this part of Hunts Point LOL. At least not with good gear and not without my bros... I grew up in Mott Haven not too far from there (don;t let the Haven part of the name fool you, it [is] The South Bronx) and Hunts Point was even lower back in the 1980s/90s. I heard it has cleaned up a bit during the day but I have been there late and it is still a seedy place.

For afternoon sun for landings on 22, it is definitely the best spot photography wise.

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=40...5,0.00559&z=18

just be careful!

I would rather go to Soundview but I feel the angle is kind of high for when they are in front of you... downrange from Soundview gives a great angle right down the center of the runway almost (22/4)
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2010-10-29 at 09:44 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez