Thread: Atlanta Hartsfield #1 ?

Atlanta Hartsfield #1 ?

I finally, researched the world's busiest airports and was very surprised. Atlanta is #1 in the entire world. I can;t figure why. Also surprising, Tokyo's Narita is way down on the list but Ota Airport was # 5. JFK only made #14 and LGA as well as EWR were un-listed. The list, however only shows the top 30. Interesting is the rise of airport rankings on the Arabian Peninsula and many airports in China. China is growing at an unbelievable rate. Even the iPhones and other Apple products, are probably all manufactured in China. No wonder unemployment rates here are so high. If this was discussed before, I apologize.

Atlanta has been #1 for years and years. I am guessing it is because of ASA traffic in addition to the mainline and don't forget AirTrash's hub there as well. Lots of DL international flights (to Europe and most to Caribbean and South/Central America) add up as well.

Mind that it is traffic figures only. Pax-wise, Atlanta is not #1, mostly due to the same reasons (lots of regionals and domestic traffic vs international widebodies at JFK and such).
    Flying is not dangerous; crashing is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by dimamo1983 View Post
    Mind that it is traffic figures only. Pax-wise, Atlanta is not #1, mostly due to the same reasons (lots of regionals and domestic traffic vs international widebodies at JFK and such).
    Actually it is number 1 by both passengers and movements.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Yeah ATL has Delta based there, ASA (Atlantic Southeast/Delta Connection), and airTran all based out of there. DL has their international ops based there as well. They have a bunch of cargo carriers (Capital, FedEx, UPS, LH Cargo, China Airlines Cargo, and I think DHL). That all makes for a LOT of freaking traffic.
    If you want to spot there, try the Renaissance hotel.
    Adam Sheinhaus