Thread: SWA's Slam Dunk One Logo will be no more

SWA's Slam Dunk One Logo will be no more

Hello Folks-

I wanted to alert you all to those who try to keep track of WN's logo planes into ISP and LGA, and state keep an eye out for Slam Dunk One, N224WN.

This plane will be repainted back into Canyon Blue within the next two months due to the contract between the NBA and Southwest ending.

WN and the NBA were not able to come to a mutual agreement in terms of sponsorship, so as part of the contract WN must get rid of any NBA logo and trademarks off the plane and airports, including Slam Dunk One.

At the moment the plans are to simply repaint it back to regular livery, no special color schemes are planned for this registration.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

I need to get this one.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    My buddy at LAS told me this I couldn't believe it. Glad I got a slide shooters dream. Perfect side on with decent quality. Let's turn this into a plug and story thread.

I had flown to LAS for the labor day week. Actually met Tony Russo for the first time without even knowing he would be there. Had a great time with Dave Budd, Tony and other LAS locals. On my flight back I was headed to my gate when I see her push from an adjacent gate. I grabbed my cam, got to the window and click!

'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I only had one chance to shoot this aircraft. I was in my usual spot at KALB and got my usual result - rejection from a.net

http://myaviation.net/?pid=00724790

A different angle got accepted at jp though ...

Last edited by SmAlbany; 2010-10-13 at 09:12 AM.

A beautiful aircraft. The only special SWA liveries I ever saw at LGA was "Florida One" as well as "Shamu". I'm dying to see "Arizona One".Too bad they don't reveal in advance when special liveries are coming. All Nippon, when they flew the "Pokemon" B744 in the 90's actually listed the dates the aircraft was coming into JFK so I and other spotters could plan in advance. Seeing an airline in a special livery makes my day but nowadays since they chase spotters away, you can only see them using telephoto lenses with high speed. You used to be able to see them at the gates before 9-11. I saw SIA "Tropical", AZA "Bulgari" and "Baci" B744s and many others. Sadly, I missed "Wunala" because it was parked at the back of T7 at JFK. It's quite a challenge now to photograph a special livery. China Eastern's Airbus is sometimes bearing a colorful livery for the "Shanghai Expo" and Swiss has a colorful Airbus, too. I saw it faraway this week when I was at Coney Island. Good spotting.

Nik, awesome sauce shot man. I've only actually seen this jet up close once.. I was at TPA down in the terminal... Sadly, my camera was in my car on the parking garage....... I'd love to get this airplane at LGA before her days are up though.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

UPDATE:

N224WN will be flying until October 22nd. On October 23rd it will be repainted in AMA (Amarillo, Texas). Should return to the line October 28th out of AMA as Canyon Blue.

Change of Topic--WN has received 3 used -700 from Virgin Blue, they will be re-registered N552, N553 and N554. They are in PAE right now getting retrofitted.

November 15th, 2010 will see the retirement of N304SW and N307SW, so if you see this around the system, this will be the last time you will see this bird.

Around December 1st, WN will receive one new -700 from Boeing, N952WN.

Regarding WIFI, WN is averaging 6 planes a month in getting retrofitted, 3 per MOD Line, both at PAE.

WN will have 550 Active Boeing 737's by December, 172-300, 25-500 and 353-700's

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Alex - are the -700's from Virgin Blue be in canyon blue when they hit revenue service or is there a heck of a chance of a hybrid scheme???
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawrence View Post
    Alex - are the -700's from Virgin Blue be in canyon blue when they hit revenue service or is there a heck of a chance of a hybrid scheme???
    I looked again and all it says is TRANSITION which means getting it into WN's fleet, aircraft seating and system. As for paint scheme I couldn't say, the only one that had a mixed livery was the Ford one, every other aircraft was immediately painted in the WN Spirit Colors. So I can't really say right now.

Alex
    Last edited by Alex T; 2010-10-15 at 11:53 PM.

NLovis
    304 and 307, are they both -300?

Looking into the hanger where the work is being done at PAE in Everett a couple weeks ago, without being able to catch registrations, all the WN planes were in Canyon Blue scheme. I had thought at the time it was odd that the outfit used for maintenance had WN planes in a hanger normally only used for AS and UPS planes, and that 2 of the WN birds had the entire tail removed from the fuselage up. I'm not sure when the Virgin Blue planes were to be sent up here, so not 100% sure they are the ones I saw.

-Tad

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis View Post
    304 and 307, are they both -300?
    Yes they are.

Alex