Thread: ILS13L Approach in use at JFK 9/28/10

ILS13L Approach in use at JFK 9/28/10

Apparently Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan got a rare treat late yesterday afternoon!

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    They were forced to use this approach because 4L/22R is still closed and landing 22L and departing 13R would cause more delays and a bit more danger. I was watching various arrivals into Kennedy including the A380 from my window. Luckly we had scattered clouds to actually see the aircraft. Its rare to see this approach used.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

ILS 13L usage usually means the weather blows.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by JHNA57 View Post
    Apparently Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan got a rare treat late yesterday afternoon!
    you could say that, texted this to a buddy of mine: "eatin' sushi, playin' with the dogs, watching passur and listening to AFR6 pass right over my house." yea, life give you rare treats sometimes....

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    ILS 13L usage usually means the weather blows.
    yea, but the winds that were driving the rain drove it out of town... leaving just the winds to deal with. typical.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I was driving home from work and as I was exiting the Belt Parkway, I saw the Air France A380 on approach for 13L. Thats a first for me, typically I see her coming in on 22L or 31L.
    Last edited by Zee71; 2010-09-30 at 07:11 AM.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    I was driving home from work and as I was exiting the Belt Parkway, I saw the Air France A380 on approach for 13L. Thats a first for me, typically I see is coming in on 22L or 31L.
    I've some fairly badass banking action from is on 13L approaches. ILS 13L is also pretty cool.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

For a while the only available instrument approach was the ILS for 13L which I would imagine partially owed to why it was in use. The weatherwas solid IMC till about dark. At one point JFK was UP AND DOWN 22 Left which was interesting in itself. I watched JFK arrivals on 13 Left for a good hour and they were really getting worked aroun in the wind. Alot of hard bounces. Too bad I didnt have my camera from where I was. When Etihad landed they touched down on the left main, and just kind of stayed on it for a few seconds. The nose started to come down and finally the right side planted. A US 320 bounced about 3 times as well.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"