Thread: Some TWA Nostalgia - DSM-STL-LGA October 2000

Some TWA Nostalgia - DSM-STL-LGA October 2000

Hi All-

I wasn't sure quite where to put this, so feel free to move it if you want to. About a decade ago, I went with my family from New York to Des Moines, IA for a family friend's wedding. It was one of my last trips on TWA and the first time I had a digital camera, and while the pictures are of extremely poor quality by today's standards, I still feel nostalgic looking at all that TWA metal.

The regi's were as follows:

N907TW MD80 LGA-STL
    N2404A B717 STL-DSM
    N2410W B717 DSM-STL
    N928TW MD80 STL-LGA

The 717's were just 3 and 5 weeks old respectively and were simply amazing to fly on. Hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I do, even if they are crappy. A reminder of a different time in aviation...

Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Wow Andy - those are memories - I lived in STL at the time - traveled for work as well - and - I remember the B717's coming in - we had a friend at church that was one of the first B717 skippers! Nostalgia rules!!!!!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Nice stuff Andy! Its great to see history from the past you don't see today.

These are great pictures. I can't tell whether each of the photo was taken from the MD-80 or the 717. I would guess the interior shots were taken inside the 717. Can you confirm?

Wow, GREAT STUFF! It's amazing that this was just a decade ago and yet feels like it was a million. Thank you for sharing.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Thanks guys, glad you like them. Wish I had more photos & memories from my trips with TWA and the old T5.

JZ
    These are great pictures. I can't tell whether each of the photo was taken from the MD-80 or the 717. I would guess the interior shots were taken inside the 717. Can you confirm?

Sorry for not organizing them better. Yes, the interior shots are all inside the 717s. The shots of other TWA planes were shot either from the terminal in STL or out the window of our MD-80 in STL and LGA. Most of the wing shots are of the MD-80, except for the one shot at night which is of the 717 wing. Hope that clears it up for you!
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Hi, thanks for the clarification. Now it's clear -- I know they usually paint a few stripes on the MD-80 wing. I never have flown a 717 so I don't know whether the same is painted. Also for the internal shots I can see the newer style luggage compartment, so I guess the photo was taken inside 717. But some airlines, like DL, has new style luggage comparetments in their MD-88, too. So without your explanation I can't be certain whether TW replaced their MD-80 interior (although given their financial problems this would not be likely).

Great pictures! I miss TWA even though I only had the honor of flying them once, but I think I will remember flying them the most out of any other airline. TWA was the last airline that actually delivered great service for the time. It was LGA-PBI and PBI-LGA. I even remember departing gate B7 in LGA. By the way, there is still a very faded TWA designation on that jetway.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

April 1985....

EWR to STL Lockheed L-1011
    STL to LAX Boeing 747-100, complete with cockpit tour BEFORE departing STL
    LAX to EWR Lockheed L-1011

TWA...gone but not forgotten