Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSA tries to do the right thing fails badly. Emshighway please...

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

TSA tries to do the right thing fails badly. Emshighway please...

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/358445/

I am all for keeping people vigliant around airfields but this ad could have been done a little better. I hope Emshighway can contact upper brass or the people involved in producing this and voice our displeasure.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

NLovis
    That ad is horrible. They make us look like were shady and bad. Were the opposite. I'm all for awareness and what not but were only here to enjoy ourselves not like how they show us.

I think the TSA needs to hear from all aviation photo's enthusiasts. In my view we are being protrayed as terrorists, when in actually the TSA would benefit from all aviation enthusiasts. By the way.........in the video where the flight instructor talks about the student asking strange questions, my thought is..........wouldn't you do a background check before you even let this guy fly with you to make sure. Looks like another TSA blunder to me. Sorry for the ranting and raving.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

I'm pretty sure the Air Force came out with a similar poster about a year ago (which I posted on here). It is what it is I guess...

Picked up by Photography Is Not A Crime:
    http://carlosmiller.com/2010/09/07/t...as-terrorists/

and Gizmodo:
    http://gizmodo.com/5632823/tsa-poste...errorists-only

What a completely awful poster. Planespotters are better positioned than anyone else to notice if something hinky's happening around an airport perimeter, and will absolutely drop a dime if there's something suspicious. File this under "reasons why police should cultivate good relationships with planespotters/railfans/tour guides/etc."

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/358445/

I am all for keeping people vigliant around airfields but this ad could have been done a little better. I hope Emshighway can contact upper brass or the people involved in producing this and voice our displeasure.
    There are actually three posters, this one is the only one like this. The video actually has an airport worker driving out of a gate and says "I wait to make sure the gate closes". This is the one with the photographer so it didn't seem too bad, a person making sure the gates closed and nothing about the photography or suspicious person. Then I saw the poster and cringed.

It has been mentioned up the line there would be some problems with this poster. I suggest group unite to voice their displeasure.

I know some are calling the number on the poster to complain, which strikes me as a bad idea indeed -- if someone is reporting actual legitimate suspicions, we shouldn't get in their way.

I'm kind of surprised AOPA hasn't weighed in on this (that I can find after some cursory googling, at least.)

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Are formal letter from NYCA has been written, which will be made public very soon.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    I think the TSA needs to hear from all aviation photo's enthusiasts. In my view we are being protrayed as terrorists, when in actually the TSA would benefit from all aviation enthusiasts. By the way.........in the video where the flight instructor talks about the student asking strange questions, my thought is..........wouldn't you do a background check before you even let this guy fly with you to make sure. Looks like another TSA blunder to me. Sorry for the ranting and raving.
    Doesn't the one with the flight crew look odd too? It looks like the male is saying to himself "I'm going to get her after they leave"
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Are formal letter from NYCA has been written, which will be made public very soon.
    I don't know Phil, are they?
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    EMS is there an address (e or snail) where we could give our displeasure?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    which strikes me as a bad idea indeed
    Very, this # is probably not going to be manned with people responsible for this ad or any other media relations.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Ronald Reagan