Thread: Switching Airline Mile Programs/Status

Switching Airline Mile Programs/Status

Much to my disappointment, Delta is discontinuing its Santa Barbara to Salt Lake City service, thus pulling out completely from Santa Barbara, my current area.

I'm currently Platinum Medallion on Delta. Is there any way these days to transfer status to another airline, like US, AA or UA?
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Varies by airline, but it can be done, you just have to call and ask. A friend of mine moved from AA to CO and they matched her gold status.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I've read on flyertalk forums that some airlines will match the highest status fliers, some may require you to do a "challenge" as in fly so many flights in X months and then we will give you an equivalent status. Call the airlines you are thinking about and try to get someone in customer service for their top frequent fliers program.
    Flying is not dangerous; crashing is dangerous.

I status matched from DL to CO Gold last year. All they required was a written letter and a copy of my Medallion card and maybe a statement from the account just as proof of current status. Unfortunately I live in ATL so I never flew CO and will definitely lose the status next year, but it was worth it for the Star Alliance Gold benefits on Turkish Airlines and EgyptAir earlier this year.

Definitely read Flyertalk as there are multiple threads on the process - it is called "Status Matching". Or as Dima suggested (how have you been man? it's been a long time!) call the airline and get someone in customer service/FF programs.
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

I am cofounder and chairman of Frequent Flyers Organized and Concerned about Unacceptable Service (FFOCUS), and in past we have engineered numerous status matches between airlines. With the changing landscape of airlines and alliances, things change almost daily. If you contact me through the organization ([email protected]) and let me know exactly what you have and what you want, I'll make some inquiries with airline management I am friendly with.

AA only does challenges--meaning you pay a fee and they will let you do 5000 miles or points to Gold and 10000 to Platinum in 90 days. They don't match to Executive Platinum.

CO/UA will be very aggressive to take business from Delta-but since they gave you a match last year it may be difficult to repeat.
    Last edited by Art at ISP; 2010-10-05 at 03:48 PM.
    It's the fares, stupid