Thread: American 787s May Fly New York-London

American 787s May Fly New York-London

DALLAS (TheStreet) -- Among the routes where American(AMR) could fly its Boeing 787s, tentatively scheduled to begin arriving in 2014, is New York-London, CEO Gerard Arpey said.
    In an interview, Arpey said that in general, "The plan is (to) retire 767s" when the 787s begin to arrive, as well as to grow internationally. The 767s fly trans-Atlantic, trans-continental and Latin American routes. Flying the 787 between New York Kennedy and London Heathrow airports is a possibility because the route is among the carrier's most important, he indicated, especially given recent regulatory approval of a trans-Atlantic joint venture between American, British Airways and Iberia.
    American's fleet includes 73 767s. Its 58 767-300s average 16 years in age, while its 15 767-200s average 23 years in age. American also has 47 777s, averaging 9.5 years in age; some fly trans-Pacific routes.
    American has orders for 42 787s, depending on its ability to agree to contract terms for pilots to fly the aircraft, as well as options for 58 more.
    Continental(CAL), which will be the first U.S. airline to take delivery of the 787, has said the first two aircraft will operate on routes from Houston to Auckland, New Zealand and Lagos, starting in 2011.
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Knowing American's culture they'll put these planes on their Flagship routes first as Arpey indicated. The 763s will probably end up on the Transcon routes as the 762s are taken out of service. Although a 787 on a Domestic route would be a treat for customers.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    has AAL figured out how to put thier paint on that airplane yet? i hope they don't do a EGF-style white fuselage...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

paint light gray like the orignal A-300's
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Wonder where they are going to use the 777s that will be freed up from LHR? Highly doubt it but it would be nice to see them on the LAX and SFO runs!
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    My feeling is the South American runs will see more use of the 777
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

NLovis
    They may want trans atlantic for 787 but the pilots need time with take offs and landings on the a/c. I expect a few local routes for training purpouses in state. I wouldnt mind seeing the current 777 JFK-MIA route with a 787. I would grab a seat on that. I expect AA's Dreamliners to be bare metal like the rest of the fleet. Good money saving there. Less weight on the a/c and less spending. I wouldnt mind some paint on the fan cowlings though. Other then the all grey/white they currently got.

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis View Post
    I expect AA's Dreamliners to be bare metal like the rest of the fleet. Good money saving there. Less weight on the a/c and less spending.
    Considering the airplane is not made out of metal and its kind of impossible to buff plastic I don't think we will be seeing any "bare metal" AA 787s
    ATP MEL, Commercial Pilot ASEL & ASES, CFII
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    , ATR-42, ATR-72, LR-JET, LR-60
    AGI & IGI
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true

NLovis
    Quote Originally Posted by AA 777 View Post
    Considering the airplane is not made out of metal and its kind of impossible to buff plastic I don't think we will be seeing any "bare metal" AA 787s
    I think the skin is still the same skin. Isnt is the frame thats composite?

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by NLovis View Post
    I think the skin is still the same skin. Isnt is the frame thats composite?
    the ENTIRE airframe is composite.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I'm sure American is already working on how to paint them so to reflect (pun intended) a polished metal look.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"