Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Earl

Earl is an awesome storm. Thanks for posting Phil. This will spoil my plans to view the final fireworks show at Coney island this Friday night. My own fault; never wait until the final performance. Hope the LGA Kids Day has better weather.

NLovis
    Cat 3 storm again with 125MPH winds. It weakened which wasnt forcasted. A good sign. Models still havent changed as of now though evacuations have begun at the N.C. Outerbanks.

This is going to make for some GREAT surf. Thank God I am on the bay though just in case. I don't think I have the balls to mess with this one's surf the way I tried during the March storm but I will defineately be up on the roof of one of the condo buildings shooting.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Hey Phil, any word on if we can get a weather section? just curious
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis View Post
    Cat 3 storm again with 125MPH winds. It weakened which wasnt forcasted. A good sign. Models still havent changed as of now though evacuations have begun at the N.C. Outerbanks.
    7PM back to Cat 4 Storm again with winds up to 135 MPH. Even if we dont get a direct hit this storm is so big the whole area will probably get some type of wind and rain. But the bright side is cooler temps for the rest of the weekend with Sun/Mon looking pretty VFR.
    Right now we are under a Tropical Storm Watch and up and down the coast airlines and Amtrak are adjusting schedules.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    Issued by The National Weather Service
    New York City, NY
    6:17 pm EDT, Wed., Sep. 1, 2010

... TROPICAL STORM WATCH IN EFFECT...

... NEW INFORMATION... A TROPICAL STORM WATCH HAS NOW BEEN ISSUED. A MORE DETAILED STATEMENT WILL FOLLOW SHORTLY.
    More Information

... HURRICANE EARL TO POSSIBLY IMPACT AREA ON FRIDAY...

.AREAS AFFECTED... THIS LOCAL STATEMENT PROVIDES IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND RECOMMENDED ACTIONS FOR PEOPLE AND MARINE INTERESTS IN SELECT LOCATIONS AND COASTAL WATER LEGS OF SOUTHEASTERN NEW YORK... NORTHEASTERN NEW JERSEY... SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT AND ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS.

.WATCHES/WARNINGS... A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS... SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD... SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN... SOUTHERN MIDDLESEX... SOUTHERN NEW LONDON... ESSEX... HUDSON... UNION... SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER... NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)... BRONX... RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)... KINGS (BROOKLYN)... QUEENS... NASSAU... NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK... NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK... SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK AND SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK.

FOR MARINE INTERESTS... A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR ALL OF LONG ISLAND AND CONNECTICUT COASTAL WATERS AND NEW YORK HARBOR.

PLEASE CHECK THE LATEST PUBLIC AND MARINE FORECASTS FOR DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT ADDITIONAL HAZARDS.

.STORM INFORMATION... AT 6 PM EDT... THE CENTER OF HURRICANE EARL WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 26.3N... LONGITUDE 73.3W. THIS WAS ABOUT 1000 MILES SOUTH OF NEW YORK CITY NY... OR ABOUT 1020 MILES SOUTH OF MONTAUK POINT NY.

STORM MOTION WAS NW OR 320 DEGREES AT 17 MPH. STORM INTENSITY WAS 135 MPH.

.SITUATION OVERVIEW... WHEN MAKING DECISIONS... DO NOT FOCUS ON THE EXACT FORECAST TRACK.

POWERFUL HURRICANE EARL EAST OF THE BAHAMAS WILL GRADUALLY TURN NORTH AND THEN NORTHEAST OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS... COMING CLOSEST TO THE WATCH AREA FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

IT IS TOO EARLY TO PROVIDE EXACT WIND AND SURGE FORECAST VALUES FOR SPECIFIC LOCATIONS. A GENERAL CONCERN SHOULD BE FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF AT LEAST DAMAGING WINDS LIKELY SOMEWHERE WITHIN SOUTHEASTERN NEW YORK... NORTHEASTERN NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT.

.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

FOR THOSE UNDER A WATCH... NOW IS THE TIME TO BEGIN PREPARING YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS ACCORDING TO YOUR HURRICANE DISASTER PLAN. LISTEN FOR POSSIBLE WARNINGS AND BE READY TO EVACUATE IF NECESSARY. HEED THE ADVICE OF LOCAL OFFICIALS AND COMPLY WITH ANY ORDERS THAT ARE ISSUED. FOR INTERESTS AT PORTS... DOCKS... AND MARINAS... IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU PERFORM THE PRESCRIBED PREPARATIONS ACCORDING TO YOUR EMERGENCY OPERATIONS PLAN FOR TROPICAL CYCLONES. IF YOU LIVE ON A BOAT... BEGIN TO SAFELY SECURE YOUR CRAFT AND MAKE PLANS TO LEAVE IT FOR ADEQUATE LAND BASED SHELTER. LISTEN FOR POSSIBLE WARNINGS. REGARDING THE COASTAL WATERS UNDER A WATCH... SMALL CRAFT SHOULD RETURN TO PORT OR SEEK SAFE HARBOR.
    We also have a Coastal Flood Statement a numerous air quality alerts.

Also it looks like most of the action will take place from 12PM Friday until 12AM Saturday.
    Last edited by Fighting_falcon_51; 2010-09-01 at 07:40 PM.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Looks like the NASA WB-57 is flying above it .. above FL500 right now, in addition to the NOAA G-IV and P3
    http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NASA926
    http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NOAA43
    http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NOAA49

Not sure if you guys have this site, it has the overlays of the spaghetti models as well as radar and satellite.
    http://www.stormpulse.com/fullscreen/current

Looks like a conga line of storms is in place

Quote Originally Posted by DHG750R View Post
    ........Not sure if you guys have this site, it has the overlays of the spaghetti models as well as radar and satellite.
    http://www.stormpulse.com/fullscreen/current
    HOLY CRAP that is great!!!!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    Earl is an awesome storm. This will spoil my plans to view the final fireworks show at Coney island this Friday night. performance. .
    Too bad. Went to the game July 31. Started at 6 ended 8:10!! They had to wait until almost 9 to get dark and shoot off the fireworks! Was worth it!! Looks like Earl might bring his own fireworks to town especially the Coney/Belt area. Be safe.

NLovis
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    7PM back to Cat 4 Storm again with winds up to 135 MPH. Even if we dont get a direct hit this storm is so big the whole area will probably get some type of wind and rain. But the bright side is cooler temps for the rest of the weekend with Sun/Mon looking pretty VFR.
    Right now we are under a Tropical Storm Watch and up and down the coast airlines and Amtrak are adjusting schedules.
    11PM still a cat 4 storm and has strenghtened. 140MPH winds moving at 18MPH NNW. The eye has reformed and its a strong eye. Which means its in a favorable area to strenghten. Also the eye is HUGE like Katrina had and we all know how that ended up. This is highly resembling Katrina is size form and eye development. The one thing that it doesnt thankfully is that it hasnt raeched Cat 5. Models are showing it more to the east now. Another good sign

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Hey Phil, any word on if we can get a weather section? just curious
    I don't want to go off-topic, but if I see enough weather conversation and regular, daily discussion here to warrant it, I would have no problem adding it. I want it myself, as I love it. I just need to wait for the activity to kick in on it.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    There is now a Tropical Storm Warning for Northeast and Southwest Suffolk.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

NLovis
    Hurricane Earl Winds 145MPH moving NNW at 21MPH. Not good. Not good at all. Models are showing it to get closer to the tip of LI now. It is now also forcasted to be a stronger hurricane when it reaches us...

the latest tracks from Stormpulse show it going more East, and getting here earlier in the day/evening then predicted before.

Quote Originally Posted by NLovis View Post
    It is now also forcasted to be a stronger hurricane when it reaches us...
    It has already begun weakening, down to 125mph. Most likely will be a low Cat 2 or high Cat 1 when it reaches LI, probably 100 miles east of Montauk. Nantucket and the Cape will see the worst of it.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9