Thread: Southwest to Launch Newark Service with Continental Slot Lease Deal

Southwest to Newark March 2010

OMG - am I the first with this??

http://www.southwest.com/investor_re..._releases.html

NYCAviation:
    Southwest to Launch Newark Service with Continental Slot Lease Deal

Southwest Airlines and Continental Airlines announced Friday that they had entered a lease agreement for 36 slot pairs at Newark-Liberty International Airport (EWR), allowing Southwest to operate as many as 18 daily flights beginning in March 2011.
    [Click to Read Full Article]
    Last edited by Matt Molnar; 2010-08-27 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Added NYCA link

Quote Originally Posted by JHNA57 View Post
    No, the script that is meant to feed our news stories into the forums is being an arse. :-)

Should arrive in a few mins.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Continental and United Merger is Approved by DOJ, but Southwest gets United's slots

DOJ approved the merger but Southwest will get 18 R/T slots a day at EWR and will start in March

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Justic....html?x=0&.v=9

OMG - am I the first with this??

http://www.southwest.com/investor_re..._releases.html

NYCAviation:
    I posted this earlier but it seems my post was deleted. I guess its not worth me trying to post any more news if the site is going to delete my post for some self plugging. Pretty lame

Southwest has said publically they are considering starting a small subfleet of 737-800's (they would just convert some future -700 orders) in part due to limited access to high demand slot controlled airports in particuliar LGA. Even though EWR will be a bigger operation on day 1 WN will still be limited on how much they can grow their so this I believe will infulance their decision to go ahead and acquire the higher capacity -800.

Quote Originally Posted by njgtr82 View Post
    I posted this earlier but it seems my post was deleted. I guess its not worth me trying to post any more news if the site is going to delete my post for some self plugging. Pretty lame
    Sorry about that, your post is now merged into this thread.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Now for the really big question. Will the new state scheme be "New York One" or "New Jersey One"???

An interesting article about the new service and turnaround times at EWR

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/7190629.html

NLovis
    How about "Lady Liberty One" I wouldnt mind seeing her on an aircraft.

An interesting article about the new service and turnaround times at EWR

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/7190629.html
    Definitly want to clear up something...

Turn Around time at Southwest is considered GATE turn. This is ALWAYS scheduled as 20 minutes no matter what airport this is, SFO, LGA, STL, DAL.

Ground time, is average 35 minutes, however is extended longer at places LIKE SFO, PHL and LGA, and most likely EWR.

When people claim or news even that WN can no longer do turn around times of 20 minutes, this simply is not true. Once the aircraft reaches the gate, 20 minutes countdown starts for the Operation Agent.

So yes, ground time will most likely be extended, and this has always been the case anyway at SFO, LGA and PHL, WN has learned from those airports and EWR will not be different.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!