Thread: Floyd Bennett Field & HARP Hangar

Floyd Bennett Field & HARP Hangar

I hadn't been over to the HARP Hangar at FBF since watching the C-54 depart in 2009, so I took a ride over this afternoon. As I got close, I saw N412PD circling over the water nearby, so I went to check it out. It appeared as if they were conducting an exercise, with a few NYPD boats and their divers.

After the excitement outside was over, I headed on in to the HARP Hangar

NYPD Grumman Goose

They are building a full-size replica of Wiley Post's Lockheed Vega "Winnie Mae". This is the wing - 41 foot wingspan, cantilevered wing (no external struts/bracing). I was talking with one of the volunteers who designed the wing structure they used; it was interesting to hear what went into it.

A look inside the wing.

The last time I was there, this S-2E was parked outside.

Beechcraft C-45 Expeditor

There was a crew working on the C-97 - it is not part of the HARP collection, it is owned by the same group that owns the Berlin Airlift C-54.

I was speaking with one of the workers, he said it will be about a year before it is ready to fly again. They were running tests on the landing gear, including having the FAA certify the gear operation. While I was there, they raised and lowered it a couple of times, including one test of the manual extension system. With work on the gear out of the way, they will be moving to the engines next.

It appears this is all that is left of that red Vega replica that used to be in front of the Aviator sports center.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    nice! i remember that day the C-54 departed very well. can't wait to see angel of deliverance flying again!!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas View Post
    i remember that day the C-54 departed very well.
    Run, Forrest, Run!

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    wow i still had my beard back then.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself:

General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram