Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weather Thread

The Weather Thread

I myself have taken quite an interest in weather lately. Each day, especially at work, I have a look at what's going on around the country and predict which airports will get various delays.

I've already gotten a few notes from people asking for a weather forum...which we may be able to pull off one day if there is interest and activity from enough members.

Anyone else here follow the weather? What do you use and what exactly do you check?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Yes, I am interested. I use a bunch of different general sites I use with radar but lately use my iPhone weather apps. You always need to be on your game if you try for lightning shots. It really sux when your at work and cant leave and you see a MASSIVE squall line heading thru!

I used my old phone weather app for the F-14 Lightning tracking

Last edited by Derf; 2010-08-11 at 10:38 AM.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I was a meteorology major in college, which although had it's highs and lows , was a lot more work and not as fun as I initially imagined. Involved a TON of math/physics; I'm more of a "forecaster" type of person...

Basically, I will never use weather.com and when I see people using it, it pisses me off...

I generally use the National Weather Service's website (www.nws.noaa.gov), and if there's something interesting of note or I want more insight, I'll go to their "Forecast Discussion" page on the bottom right of the local homepage. This is where the actual forecaster, usually twice a day, writes what he/she is looking at and why he/she is predicting what he/she is.

Their radar products suck because they use simple doppler, but the Storm Relative Velocity products are really good and something I haven't found on most commercial sites. It's useful, especially in T'storms for determining rotation (i.e. tornado/possibility of a tornado). Most tornado warnings in fact are issued based on what forecasters are looking at not just on regular radar but primarily on the SRV.

For weather radar products I will use intellicast.com or wxunderground.com.

I love intellicast.com and I have been using weather.com only because it has current radar that works well. I am not a fan of weather.com but do not have your type of formal training and just use it for radar.

I am trying to find a good realtime lightning tracker online to use on my iPhone. Anyone have a good site to see realtime lighting hits...or close to it. All I have seen have been LAME!
    Last edited by Derf; 2010-08-11 at 11:06 AM.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I love weather... I am fond of convective weather particularly... Theroy behind thunderstorm development really takes my interest as well as wind.... Wind is a very interesting feature... It ties in with hydro and aerodynamics... It is quite facinating... There is nothing more awe inspiring that to pass by a towering thunderstorm from the comfort of an airplane looking UP at it from FL380.... That just blows my mind... I have had the pleasure to discuess thunderstorms to an indepth level with Bill Korbel on Facebook a few times.... He is certainly someone to talk to about these things.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I'm a convection guy as well. I use aviationweather.gov religiously, checking out everything on there and making my own forecasts before betting others on what will happen.

I do enjoy good wrath. As for weather service, NOAA.gov, always on target.

I use the Aviation Weather Center from NOAA. The radar side of it is a bit weak, WSI helps out here but that's a subscription thing. For aviation though, it's a tough site to beat.

Wunderground.com has the best free radar maps I've seen, and no annoying ads like weather.com: http://www.wunderground.com/auto/wxmap/
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    Wunderground.com has the best free radar maps I've seen, and no annoying ads like weather.com: http://www.wunderground.com/auto/wxmap/
    I use the same along with a few iPhone Apps. The only thing I think is funny about wunderground is the Panera Bread overlay. You have to be aware of those pesky bread showers.

I usually use a combination of different sites. I'm fairly concerned about visability for aerial photography, so I'm always looking at Temp/Dewpoint spreads, and if there was a site that would predict those - it would be really cool.

Temp/Dewpoint is vital for my photographers-for a go/nogo mission. They always ask me, and I like to be as accurate as possible, because once the engine is running, time is money.

:)

And here all along I thought point spreads were make or break to the bank! LOL That is an interesting take though. I have never considered a factor like that in relation to visibility for shooting before.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I used to go by dew point spreads, but even that has messed me up. I find that wind direction has been most reliable for me....if they're coming from the north or northwest...we're getting cooler Canadian winds. East or south...moist (humid) air coming off the ocean.

Yup- Northwest winds are a plus - mainly because they make a larger temp/dewpoint spread. But next time it's foggy out, take a look at a local temp/dewpoint, and you'll notice there will only be a degree or two of seperation. In the fall, when you get a 15 point spread - you'll have excellent clarity! I guess you don't notice this as much when you're on the ground, but on days when you fly and you can see 45 miles, you know the temp/dewpoint is pretty far apart.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    m.wunderground.com too for mobile devices. I have all the places that I normally fly to saved as favorites on my mobile. Great stuff.