Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: The Weather Thread

TORNADO WATCH in effect until 8pm stretching from Philadelphia to southern Maine. Includes all of NYC and southeastern NY, Long Island, most of NJ, CT, MA, NH, eastern VT, southern ME.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Just had a cell form over Nassau and move EB. Hit me with some hail and rain but moved quickly.

flew the 441 up to Bedford, MA yesterday around 0730 and cells were starting to build around northern CT and south-western MA with tops around 20,000...by the time we landed in KBED not even 30 minutes later tops were over 50,000 with some at 60,000 from the same system.

Channel 5 reported at least six tornadoes throughout the day, and if I'm not mistaken some 1,000+ lightning ground strikes reported from a SINGLE cell later in the day. Needless to say we stayed the night in Bedford instead of pressing on to Toronto!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Flew over some pretty intense looking storms over Northeastern Canada just prior to coasting out on the trip across the pond earlier today - must have been some of the same ones that rolled through the area and MA the other day.

We are about to get pipped this morning in the NY metro by a warm front pushing through... tops ranging from 45 to 50 thousand feet. When I logged in and saw that on the wx radar I about called mx to tell them the computers were frozen from yesterday. Should be a powerful storm .
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

That storm set that is part of the stationary warm front to our SW has totally collapsed on itself as a result of limited surface heating. Now, it will be purely heavy rain it looks like.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

In my neighborhood today...

FRG and ISP both reported 100 degrees this afternoon, Central Park registered 104, a record for the day, and two degrees off the all-time NYC high, and Newark set an all-time record at 108. Yes, folks, it's a hot time in the old town...

My trip today at mid-day from 38th and 1st ave to 168th and Broadway went between 102 to 104 back to 102. Just a few minutes ago on the way home, 110 at the lot and then it cooled down to 104 by the time I pulled into the garage. Thank goodness it isn;t humid too. I have not sweat as I would on a humid day.

I can only imagine how much it will rain from all this evaporation!!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    My trip today at mid-day from 38th and 1st ave to 168th and Broadway went between 102 to 104 back to 102. Just a few minutes ago on the way home, 110 at the lot and then it cooled down to 104 by the time I pulled into the garage. Thank goodness it isn;t humid too. I have not sweat as I would on a humid day.
    I can only imagine how much it will rain from all this evaporation!!
    We left London this morning and it was sun/clouds in the upper 60s (expected high). Walked out of Terminal 4 at JFK at 3:30 and WHOA!!! like walking into an oven!!