Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weather Thread

Hello everyone. In addition to the standard weather.gov website and associated NHC products, a great source of severe weather information is the Severe Storms Prediction Center site, an offshot of weather.gov. You can access it by clicking the "severe weather" link on the main weather.gov page, or via this: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/

I use that site at work to plan out how crazy our day is going to be. The single most useful section is the Convective Outlook Page which has a great deal of very detailed information regarding the potential of severe weather in general and, specifically, Tornadoes, Hail, and High wind. Enjoy the link..

Chris
    FDNY#13
    Be The Change You Want to See in the World
    http://www.flicker.com/cbcarver5

Welcome NoGreen! Great first post.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

While everyone's watching Hurricane Earl, this sick band formed up this evening in the midwest as a high front pushes through...

Red peppered with purple...hope all of you folks from Michigan to Texas closed your car windows!

NLovis
    I used to track the hurricanes. The last one I tracked was actually Katrina. I actually didnt go to sleep untill after it made landfall at 4 in the morning. I was actually able to predict where these went better then the actual specalists. I havent been doing much as of late but am still interested in the subject. Phil thats actually the front that was supposed to push earl away. Looks like it stalled out and developed. Rats!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    While everyone's watching Hurricane Earl, this sick band formed up this evening in the midwest as a high front pushes through...
    Is that the cold front thats going to cool us down? I love watching cold fronts on the radar as they come in usually after a particularly hot spell and filled with nasty, violent thunderstorms. Many times these T cells break down as they come through NJ and the city but lots of time they sneak through. I actually enjoy watching NEws12 Traffic and Weather and their radar. Most time its 10/15 minutes behind real time but still cool.
    Last edited by Matt Molnar; 2010-09-05 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    Despite the relative calm up until now, AccuWeather thinks the tropics are going to go nuts in late August-September: http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/new...onnectio-1.asp
    Well August has come and gone .
    Actually there were two more systems behind this but I think they have fizzled out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Well August has come and gone .
    Actually there were two more systems behind this but I think they have fizzled out.
    Next threat? http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl..._lnk1%7C168560

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    I actually enjoy watching NEws12 Traffic and Weather and their radar. Most time its 10/15 minutes behind real time but still cool.
    News 12's Bill Korbel is quite an aviation enthusiast himself. He was my weather instructor when I got my dispatch license...very cool guy. His facebook page is a good one to follow for weather conversation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    News 12's Bill Korbel is quite an aviation enthusiast himself. He was my weather instructor when I got my dispatch license...very cool guy. His facebook page is a good one to follow for weather conversation as well.
    THanks. I just "Liked" his FB page.

Looks like some heavy weather heading this way from the West.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    There is a Special Weather Statement regarding severe thunderstorms in the NYC/LI area.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Brooklyn, Queens and southern Nassau until 930pm.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Long Beach got quite the light show from that storm and it lasted over an hour.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Caldwell MUST have been struck by lightning...check out this Metar from Caldwell (KCDW) taken from picbrief.com....

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Rain moving in and winds picking up. Watching the Yanks-Bosox on ESPN and the announcers said that the Met Life blimp had to call it a night and head back in. Already raining out here
    in Eastern Nassau and I heard a pilot on FRG tell Tower ceiling was only 1500 ft. Anyone know where the blimp was bunking?