Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JetBlue Employee Deploys Emergency Chute at JFK

Thumbs down JetBlue Employee Deploys Emergency Chute at JFK

Not confirmed, but hearing reports that PAPD is requesting FBI to help find a JetBlue employee who intentionally set off a chute and then fled into the terminal.

NYCAviation:
    JetBlue Flight Attendant Quits Spectacularly After Fight with Passenger

A jetBlue flight attendant has been arrested after fighting with a passenger and jumping out of his plane via an emergency slide in New York.

[Click to Read Full Article]
    Last edited by Matt Molnar; 2010-08-09 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Added NYCA article
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

It is factual... I can confirm it from an internal source... I was at JFK when it took place...
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    An upset flight attendant at John F. Kennedy Airport activated his plane’s emergency chute, slid down then made his way to his car and drove home, according to an airport official.

JetBlue Flight 1052 from Pittsburgh was taxing to a stop at Terminal 5, Gate C around noon Monday when a passenger got up from his seat before the plane’s pilot deemed it safe to do so. The man was trying to remove his baggage from one of the plane’s overhead compartments when the flight attendant confronted the man and asked him to return to his seat, the official said. The passenger and the male flight attendant exchanged heated words. For reasons that are so far unclear, the flight attendant then activated the inflatable emergency slide, went down the chute and ran into the terminal, the official said.

The attendant then took a shuttle bus to the long-term parking area at JFK, retrieved his car and drove home, the official said.

Police picked the flight attendant up at his home Monday afternoon and brought him to the Port Authority Police station at the airport for questioning. (No word on whether the flight attendant was one of the many former NYPD officers in jetBlue’s employ.)

“At this time, we are working with the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to investigate this incident. At no time was the security or safety of our customers or crewmembers at risk,” said Steve Stampley, a JetBlue Airways spokesman.
    Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2010...k-slides-away/
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Daily News says he dropped the F-bomb over the PA before jumping out via slide, and that he was in fact arrested.

"To the passenger who called me a m---f--er, f--- you," flight attendant Steven Slater ranted over the intercom, passengers said.

"I've been in the business 28 years. I've had it. That's it."
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...ts_down_e.html
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Well you wanted a job with the airlines Ryan. One just opened up!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Post JetBlue Flight Attendant Quits Spectacularly After Fight with Passenger

NYCAviation:
    JetBlue Flight Attendant Quits Spectacularly After Fight with Passenger

A jetBlue flight attendant has been arrested after fighting with a passenger and jumping out of his plane via an emergency slide in New York.

[Click to Read Full Article]
    Last edited by Matt Molnar; 2010-08-09 at 05:27 PM.

28 years? I thought they said he was 39? He started as a FA when he was 11?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    28 years? I thought they said he was 39? He started as a FA when he was 11?
    He said he was "in the business 28 years" - maybe he's counting his time as a kid washing airplanes at the local FBO as being "in the business"

He grabbed some beers on the way out too.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq View Post
    He grabbed some beers on the way out too.
    He might have gotten away with just a warning, but stealing beer? He's history for sure!

This guy is as big of a jackass as the rude passenger... Releasing an emergency slide isn't a minor event even if its accidently done. He's ruined his career, will face criminal charges and perhaps civil if jetBlue decides to go after him for the cost of the event.

That is quite a way to quit...the fantasy of many a crewmember.

I will say that blowing a slide is no tiny action. Especially when you're close to a gate, anyone in the ground or in a jetbridge can be killed as it inflates explosively. They can also cost and easy $10-12,000 to replace.

For this, I wonder if he'll get more than a slap on the wrist from authorities. I also doubt B6 will go after him. Unless they really want to make an example out of him because of all the media attention....but this is not the first time someone has done this.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

My observations:
    The flight attendant was apparently hit on the head by a bag being retrieved by a passenger before the plane came to a stop at the gate.
    Dazed by the blow to the head, he grabbed the first cold object for his bruise (the beer), and was so dazed by the confusion, he popped the slide and ran. This may even be a case for Workmens Compensation.
    I believe many flight attendants, (especially those who deal with New Yorkers) will secretly applaud this guy, he may even become a JetBlue icon up there with Sully

Reports say he even cracked open one of the beers he stole and starting drinking it before he jumped down the slide! He did screw himself by deploying the slide. If he wanted to go out with a bang he shouldn't have done that. I would have went ape on the cabin intercom, told that guy who cursed me out to his face he was a loser, mooned the whole plane. Grabbed the beer and walked out that door on the jetway to the ramp and left. Probably would have saved himself a ton of agro and cost of a laywer.

Quote Originally Posted by JHNA57 View Post
    My observations:
    The flight attendant was apparently hit on the head by a bag being retrieved by a passenger before the plane came to a stop at the gate.
    Dazed by the blow to the head, he grabbed the first cold object for his bruise (the beer), and was so dazed by the confusion, he popped the slide and ran. This may even be a case for Workmens Compensation.
    I believe many flight attendants, (especially those who deal with New Yorkers) will secretly applaud this guy, he may even become a JetBlue icon up there with Sully
    You missed your calling in life...you should be a defense attoney lol Although you do have a point and I can see a lawyer going after that defense that he was hit in the head and by the looks of the pictures, he looked like he took a good wack. The lawyer will proabably say the hit on the head caused him to lose his judgement and act in this foolish manner, although I think he knew exactly what he was doing.