Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JetBlue Employee Deploys Emergency Chute at JFK

EVERY crew-member has fantasized about this, so of course it was in his head. I wouldn't say it was "planned" as you don't just do that at your first excuse to act on it. There was definitely some loss of rationale.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    EVERY crew-member has fantasized about this, so of course it was in his head. I wouldn't say it was "planned" as you don't just do that at your first excuse to act on it. There was definitely some loss of rationale.
    Eh he simply "Queened" out.

Honestly this guy is great! I mean at least he had the courage to do something this crazy. But personally I totally support what he did. Pax drive me nuts all the time on the ramp and when I am traveling. They never listen. Similar to how the F/A tells them all to wait at the front of the plane for there a la carte. And a unch of them still try to come retrieve from the back.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    From the Daily News:

It was the exit he'd always dreamed about. JetBlue flight attendant Steven Slater told the Daily News he long fantasized about escaping a plane by jumping down its emergency slide.

"It was great. I always wanted to do it," Slater said outside of his home in Belle Harbor, Queens.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Have there been any real updates on this pathetic guy?

Sorry, Having worked and STILL in an industry that provides service to others, its deplorable.
    And quite frankly, while his story seems to unravel, it seems VERY much planned.

Any news?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Just in...he managed to avoid jail time. From Newsday.com:

Former JetBlue attendant pleads guilty, gets counseling
    Originally published: October 19, 2010 10:49 AM
    Updated: October 19, 2010 12:44 PM

Belle Harbor man whose memorable exit from his flight attendant job made him a working-class hero pleaded guilty Tuesday to criminal mischief and agreed to undergo counseling. "While the public interest was surprising, at the end of the day, I am a grown-up and must take responsibility,"Steven Slater said outside court in Queens.

Slater, 38, pleaded guilty to two counts of criminal mischief, one count a felony. A prison sentence of one to three years will be suspended while he completes a mental health program in Queens.

On Aug. 9, Slater cursed out a passenger on a JetBlue flight that had landed at Kennedy Airport before sliding down the emergency exit chute he deployed. First reports of the incident stated that Slater grabbed two beers from the plane's galley before pulling the emergency exit handle. After his dramatic exit, police arrested Slater at his Queens home. Slater became a symbol for stressed-out workers. His lawyer has said the passenger's "lack of civility" prompted Slater's behavior.

He had been charged with criminal mischief, reckless endangerment and criminal trespass and was free on $2,500 bail. A review by mental health evaluators concluded Slater suffered from depression, which made him eligible for mental health court. "As we interviewed various passengers, it became increasingly clear to me and most of my staff that the defendant's actions were at least in part due to mental health and alcohol issues," Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown said at a news conference after Slater's plea. Brown said that Slater "had finally recognized the seriousness of his actions and is willing to accept responsibility." The emergency chute Slater activated could have injured or killed passengers or workers on the tarmac, Brown said.
    Unfortunately, this clown will probably end up with a book and/or TV deal. Should have thrown his butt in jail...

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Unfortunately, this clown will probably end up with a book and/or TV deal. Should have thrown his butt in jail...
    How much you wanna make a bet he'll be on Dancing with Stars or Celebrity Apprentice next year... The only reason I slightly agree with the ruling is that he didn't hurt anyone. If he did then throw his butt in jail. I wonder if jetBlue has a civil suit against him for the cost related to event. That punishment might be far worse then sitting in jail for a few months.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Not so sure, his TV deal fizzled and nobody is really after this guy. With a historical election and the miners his 15 mins is basically up.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

NLovis
    Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Not so sure, his TV deal fizzled and nobody is really after this guy. With a historical election and the miners his 15 mins is basically up.
    Yea. He will have a hard time finding a job though. He should have just quit like everybody else. Then he would be able to get a job that much easier. Especally with the economy as it is