Thread: Southwest hospitality

Southwest hospitality

Having been Southwest's 17th most frequent flyer in 2006/07 I know first hand Southwest's culture and onboard hospitality, but as my travel needs changed I haven't flown them a third of what I use to and forgot how their crews sometimes go that extra mile. Today I flew them back from our yearly Sales Convention and once again was reminded of why this company is so successful and I thought it worth mentioning.
    Before we took off the FA's announced that the flight had a special guest on board and that after take off they'd let us know who it is....being the cynic I am I really could give a damn. So after take off the FA gets on the PA and said before they announce the special guest that they'd like everyone to close their window shades, so everyone does. Then they ask if every could push their Flight Attendant call button so the light turns on, again everyone follows direction. They proceed to announce that the special guest is just a regular passenger who's celebrating his 95th birthday and ask that at the count of three everyone yell "Happy Birthday" and to “blow out the candles” everyone shut off their FA call button. So on the count of 3 everyone wishes "Edward" a happy birthday and certainly not in sequence everyone shuts off their call buttons which did look like candles being blown out.

I think most people on the plane were impressed with the FA's efforts to make a regular passenger feel special and everyone walked away with a good feeling from that. Customer service comes in all forms and in today's market it’s so important to standout and be relevant to your customers and today's display really shows why Southwest is so successful.

Really a great job by Southwest today.
    Last edited by T-Bird76; 2010-08-08 at 05:24 PM.

Some people love to trash Southwest, it's the personal touches of this "LCC" that make me enjoy flying with them. I've not nearly flown anywhere close to what Tommy has, yet, I've seen: birthday wishes like this one, making some child with a disability feel special, and of course the ever popular (flying out of Vegas) just married congratulations. Come to think of it, I don't recall ever flying on an SWA flight where the flight crew was not personable, and didn't make you feel like you were interrupting their day.

Program Coordinator
    Thanks for this post Tommy.
    I also have never once had a bad experience with Southwest...and every flight crew I've ever met has been nothing short of great. I still keep in touch with several FA's and a pilot on a regular basis with them.

I had a similar experience on a Southwest flight before--the birthday "candles" just like Tom had....it was a nice touch.
    If only they went more places and had first class
    It's the fares, stupid

I flew WN for the first time 2 months ago from BUR to SJC and was pleasantly surprised. Efficient and friendly; it was a great experience. Its also great to fly into and out of Burbank airport!!!

How is WN doing out of LGA? I haven't flown into LGA for about 2 years now!
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Quote Originally Posted by RDU-JFK View Post
    I flew WN for the first time 2 months ago from BUR to SJC and was pleasantly surprised. Efficient and friendly; it was a great experience. Its also great to fly into and out of Burbank airport!!!

How is WN doing out of LGA? I haven't flown into LGA for about 2 years now!
    SWA is very pleased at LGA service. The Flight loads are quite full often which has fueled the discussion of looking at 737-800s for LGA routes because of the full planes, but lack of slots.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!