Thread: JFK 7/25/10 (First Picture Posting)

JFK 7/25/10 (First Picture Posting)

So I decided to get my butt over to the mounds yesterday to get some shots of traffic landing on 22L. I'm happy I did! I figure that I have enjoyed everyone else's work on this site for a while, so it's about time I return the favor! Hope you all enjoy. Oh, and please critique away, I feel like I'm getting better at spotting but all help is appreciated.

Program Coordinator

Re: JFK 7/25/10 (First Picture Posting)

Excellent first post! Really great use of the golden hour. What equipment do you have/use?

The contrast on these shots is perfect! The only thing is the sharpening looks a bit harsh in my monitor, a smaller unsharp mask radius might be a bit better.

Nice shots, only major nit pickey thing would be watch the shapress. Looking a little too hard.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

As others mentioned, a little oversharpened, but you otherwise know how to take a good photo!! Great set, thanks for sharing.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Great shots and use of the lighting! I'll also say what others are saying, it's a little oversharpened. Look at the noise in the sky.
    Adam Sheinhaus

Cowens727, which lens do you have?

That lens seems to have great contrast. Does anyone use the Canon 70-300 mm IS? Wonder how sharpness and contrast looks with it.

First of all, thanks for the appreciation and the helpful hints. Secondly, I use a Sony Alpha A350 with the kit lens (4.5-5.6/ 75-300mm). It was my first DSLR and I'm using it to figure out all the in's & out's of digital photography/editing. It's a pretty good camera for getting the results I want, now I just have to figure out the editing side of things...

Looks like a very nice kit lens.

Nice shots Cowens, I'm a newbie to this as well. What a shame the once pristine aircraft exteriors of KLM have gone the way of their Air France partner.

Cowens,

Good subjects, weather conditions, & terrific lighting makes for excellent photos...your images did that.
    thankyou for sharing & look forward to seeing more in the future.

Hiflyer

Again, thanks for all the supportive comments. With the seasons changing here in NYC I'm hoping to get out more to work on my technique...this summer was too hot to be outside for more than 2 hours at a time....

Thanks for sharing.Superb shots. I used to go to 22L right across Rockaway Blvd when they used to have a hill full of ticks and mosquitoes but I didn't mind. On my last visit, the aircraft were mostly B744's. I used my Canon AE-1, film type camera at 1/1000, ASA 400 and rarly got a blur. For me, it was like paradise. I was devastated when the hill was torn-down. By the way, during my hundreds of visits there, no security ever bothered me. From the spot, you could also see the aircraft touch-down and turn-off using either "H" or "J" to "hold short Runway 22R". Sadly, the Concorde usually arrived on Rwy 13l so I missed it.