Thread: Perseid Meteor Shower August 12th

Perseid Meteor Shower August 12th

Looks like I will be pulling an all nighter.... not sure where I will go but I am sure it will be dark. Anyone else going?

.....For skywatchers in the Northern Hemisphere, late summer is usually regarded as the prime "meteor-viewing season," with one of the best displays of the year reaching its peak in mid-August. But some lesser-known summer meteor displays can still dazzle.

The summer meteor shower season hits its peak with the annual Perseid meteor shower, which is usually beloved by everyone from meteor enthusiasts to summer campers in August. This year will be an excellent one for the Perseids, as their peak will nearly coincide with a new moon, which should offer dark skies for prospective observers.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Re: Perseid Meteor Shower August 12th

Work night.....I'll be sleeping

Me: "We should watch the meteor shower on the 12th"
    Phil: "ok!"
    Me: "Really??"
    Phil: "no."

They usually dissapoint as you are watching for 10 minutes to see one....but about 12 years ago there was one where you saw a different streak every 10 seconds. It was breathtaking an amazing. I only wished I was into photography then. Every year the earth goes by the trail. Sometimes it hit is head on, and sometimes we are facing the correct direction.

In the 18 hundreds it was so powerful one year that people woke up from sleep becuause night had turned into day with all the fireworks overhead hitting the atmosphere. There was a mass suicide as familys did not want their loved ones to witness the end of the earth. Once day we may get a show like that but until then, I will keep watching. Anyone game?
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I'll try to give it a go. Last time it came around, a few friends of mine went out to Grafton Lake State Park just a bit east of Troy NY. It was completely pitch black and they saw one heck of a show. I however had a test the next day and decided sleep was more important.

So, in order to avoid the light pollution, where might some good viewing spots be? Obviously out east somewhere...
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Last edited by Derf; 2010-08-11 at 11:29 AM.

Someone stayed up to capture a scratch on their camera lens.....? I'll be sleeping...wake me and I'll will a meteor to impact where you stand :)

When is the best time to watch for this?

Next time, I should go camping and try this...

If you missed the Perseids meteor shower—and I truly hope you didn't—this beautiful time-lapse video of the view from Joshua Tree National Park should get you caught up. And fill you with more than a little wonder. This was shot over three days with a 5D Mk II at 6400 ISO, with 20 second exposures by Henry Jun Wah Lee. Consider me star struck.

http://gizmodo.com/5615781/an-enchan...-show-in-space
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose View Post
    When is the best time to watch for this?
    Sorry Mel, I did not see your post until now and it was cloudy... but to answer your question
    anyway after midnight and until before Dawn is the best time... Just about an all night.

Quote Originally Posted by GrummanFan View Post
    Next time, I should go camping and try this...

http://gizmodo.com/5615781/an-enchan...-show-in-space
    That is exactly what I have done in the past but in NY the stars are not as easy to catch with all the light pollution. It is possible to get lots of stars even in NY.

Robert Moses

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    that video is great. really makes me miss the west and kick myself again and again for not appreciating it while i was there.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.