Thread: Barcelona El-Prat (BCN) 7/17 - Spotter Friendly (30 photos)

Barcelona El-Prat (BCN) 7/17 - Spotter Friendly (30 photos)

Yesterday I spent the day spotting at Barcelona's El-Prat airport. This was the third time I have spotted at the airport and each time it seems like there is another feature added to the perimeter of the airport that benefits aviation spotters. There is a lovely bike/walking path that leads around the Northern perimeter of the airport and goes to the El-Prat beach. Along the pathway there is a park directly underneath the approach lights, complete with lounge chairs. The airport authority, AENA, has even built a metal spotting tower next to the threshold to runway 25R and gives a great view of the apron.

Unfortunately yesterday was not as eventful as my spotting trip two July's ago as I only photographed one Russian built aircraft, as opposed to the 12 I shot last time. If you ever have the opportunity to visit Barcelona, which is an incredible city, I would highly recommend visiting the airport.

Re: Barcelona El-Prat (BCN) 7/17 - Spotter Friendly (30 photos)

Great shots! I'm looking for an European destination to go to in the next few years with my Delta points that has some good spotting ;) .
    Adam Sheinhaus

Sweet shots, I now so badly want that Moskovia bird now.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Gordon, great photos.

Why were there so many Russian airlines coming to BCN? Is it normal or some special event?

Thanks, guys. Saturdays in Barcelona are known as "Dia de los Russos", which means day of the Russians. A large number of Russian tourists arrive/depart on Saturdays, very evident from the amount of Russian airliners. Transaero alone has five flights on Saturdays.

Rusos is only with one "s" by the way :mrgreen: I wanted to travel there just to shoot the Russian aircraft years ago when the IL-86s and Tupolevs were a regular sight, but sadly spotting-wise these Russian airlines fly mostly boring Boeing and Airbuses. The airline variety at BCN still kicks rear though!

Here at Orlando MCO with nothing around the airport except turkey vultures and No Parking signs every 10 feet, last time I passed by saw a bored OPD cop ticketing someone. Compare that with the airport in Barcelona, bike path? a spotting tower~!?? That is REAL freedom!

I'm sure if the camera pans right there's a volleyball net in there somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi757
    Rusos is only with one "s" by the way :mrgreen: I wanted to travel there just to shoot the Russian aircraft years ago when the IL-86s and Tupolevs were a regular sight, but sadly spotting-wise these Russian airlines fly mostly boring Boeing and Airbuses. The airline variety at BCN still kicks rear though!
    Discúlpame eh, Mario. :?

A little over two years ago during my last visit to Barcelona most of the Russian airlines were still bringing in TU-154/TU-204 aircraft. Unfortunately now much of that has changed. Although there are still one or two TU-154/TU-204's that show up at the airport. I noticed one TU-154 during the day, although it must have arrived earlier in the morning and never departed.

Last summer I had the pleasure of spotting at Antalya, Turkey where there was 4 or 5 IL-86 and countless TU-154 visitors, and apparently this summer there are barely any. Sad times. :(

No hay problema estas disculpado... Just a free spelling lesson, all in good fun :D

Antalya was about the last place in Europe where IL-62s could be seen, same for the IL-86s. I'm sure if you stay long enough you'd still see some TU-154s, same thing in Barcelona.