Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tasteless Banner in Home Depot Farmingdale

Tasteless Banner in Home Depot Farmingdale

So just a little while ago I was in the Home Depot in Farmingdale, NY which sits right next to Republic airport. While I was checking out I glance up to a banner they have celebrating their store and noticed the rather interesting innuendo depicting a plane with flames coming out of the tail section nose diving towards the very same Home Depot outlined in the banner. Maybe it’s just me but do you see anything really stupid and tasteless about this banner? Oh when I asked for a manager the associates said “What kind of manager?” I responded one that can answer why a banner showing an airliner with flames from the tail is nose diving towards this very same Home Depot.” I really wanted to say something else but I try to be polite and respectful in my interactions with fellow humans. According to Home Depot they said the intent was to recognize the airport.

Re: Tasteless Banner in Home Depot Farmingdale

I too have seen that very same banner. I also found it too be in bad taste. Recognizing the airport? Should be taken down immediately IMO.

All they need to do is remove the airplane with flames and it would be fine.
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrummanFan
    All they need to do is remove the airplane with flames and it would be fine.
    Exactly my point to them. How does a Store Manager allow such a thing???

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

it's not flames, it's an afterburner!!

signed,
    home depot clueless manager
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

That banner is disgusting.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

it's not flames, it's an afterburner!!

signed,
    home depot clueless manager
    Roger maverick, hit the eject button.

signed, Goose

Seriously, I dont even see anything remotely funny or comedic about it. Unless there is some inside joke (however tasteless) I still dont get it.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Looks like it is made out of felt which burns quickly...

They should be careful.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

My guess would be someone saw a "connection" because there is a war-bird collection at FRG, so somehow the "theme" is ok. Doesn't quite "work" I realize, but just trying to understand.... They should probably take it down.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Update and over 100 hate emails from people on Facebook and Fark...God I really love hate mail...I honestly do. The banner has been removed from the store.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Seriously, if they just actually had someone with some sense of artistic vision, they probably COULD have made it look like a few warbirds staging a dogfight and even then it might look cute and draw one's attention to the Museum, hence a win-win.

TOm, you spend too much time looking up. Been there too many times, never saw this. Where was it?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    Seriously, if they just actually had someone with some sense of artistic vision, they probably COULD have made it look like a few warbirds staging a dogfight and even then it might look cute and draw one's attention to the Museum, hence a win-win.

TOm, you spend too much time looking up. Been there too many times, never saw this. Where was it?
    Its gone now Mario, they took it down per the phone call I got from the their District Manager who I feel truly thought it was in bad taste. He even admited seeing it and never thought to much into it until it was brought to light, I beleive him.

I would think that its some kind of inside joke between employees. Maybe they are always joking around about a flaming plane will crash into the store or something. A bad joke to even talk about, but to put up a banner .. totally tasteless

This thread got a shout out on Consumerist!

This Home Depot Banner Upsets Customers For Some Reason: http://consumerist.com/2010/07/this-hom ... eason.html
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Seems like a lot of people disagree with T-bird on this one. Here is my comment because I doubt it'll get approved:

I think some of you guys are missing the point. Republic Airport which is located right next to that Home Depot has had mishaps just like any other airport that have seriously injured and killed people. Also a lot of people who post on that forum work in that area or visit that Home Depot or the surrounding stores in that shopping center, and the thought of a burning plane coming down killing the 1,000's of shoppers isn't even remotely funny. As others suggested in that thread if they removed the flames from that aircraft there would be nothing wrong with that banner and I agree with them 100%. I think it was in poor taste and possibly poor judgment that the Home Depot employee's that made that banner added flames to that aircraft.

And why is the title of this article: "This Home Depot Banner Upsets Customers For Some Reason"? Does Chris Walters find no problem with a plane crashing into a building or am I missing something?
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)