Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USDA Secretly Gassing Geese

Re: USDA Secretly Gassing Geese

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    I don't see the big deal...Canadian Geese are basically rats with wings. They leave messes where ever they are, they destroy small ponds and lakes because their waste makes the water far too acidic for fish and plant life, they spread disease, they pose threats to airports, and they are basically nasty creatures if you get to close. Funny thing....with the amount of times I've travelled to Canada and all over Canada I never once saw one CANADIAN Goose...they should be called American Geese.
    Thank you Tommy!
    All facts.
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

Quote Originally Posted by njgtr82
    I absolutely hate these nasty things... GAS GAS GAS!!!!
    If Patton was still around he would "nuke the sonsofabitches"

But really- if they can cook them up for the poor great, or make dog/zoo food out of them, wonderful. But I have already heard of all the red tape with that- never going to happen bla bla bla.
    "my finger on the shutter button, while my eye is over my shoulder"

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

All facts.
    Which? They don't spread disease and aren't nasty unless you get close to their eggs or young which can be said about any wildlife.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    All facts.
    aren't nasty unless you get close to their eggs or young.
    Not true...we had two people at our parking lot at work get chassed by them and no young or eggs were around. One person slipped and broke their wrist as a result. If you had an infestation of mice in your house would you not lay traps? This is what the USDA wants to do...remove the geese in a way that they will not return as the infestation of them is a safety hazard.

Here's a link about birds causing people to get a rash who swim in this lake
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/0 ... rning.html

[quote=Big Tim #70][quote="Tom_Turner":1mqmf7ct]The geese that hit the USAir airbus were likely migrating. Most of the ones near our airports appear to be local these days. It can certainly be argued we should dispose of them anyway "just in case", but the exterminating was done quietly this year in my opinion to avoid debate - sort of like Miegs Field.
    [/quote]

The USAir 1549 incident happened in January. The Geese migrate from late Sept to November.

Many of the geese on Long Island & in the Hudson/East River area are geese that migrated from the north. We don't have anywhere near the same # of geese in the summer months than what we have from Mid Fall to late spring. That being said, we still have a lot of them as this is still their natural habitat.

Gassing them, although harsh, is probably the one of the only ways to control their population. There are very few natural predators down here & in areas like parks where they're even more protected, they can get out of hand real quick.[/quote:1mqmf7ct]

Tim, the birds were not local... so to really make sure this doesn't happen again, we might need to start gassing the geese from Labrador, Canada..

[url="http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/06/08/usair.bird.strike/index.html"]http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/06/08/usair. ... index.html[/url]

Smithsonian Institution scientists say it was migratory Canada geese -- and not resident Canada geese -- that caused US Airways Flight 1549 to ditch in New York's Hudson River on January 15.

More specifically, it was at least two female and one male geese flying at approximately 2,900 feet that got sucked into the two engines of the Airbus A320, disabling both engines and causing one of the more spectacular water landings in aviation history. All 155 people safely evacuated the jet.

Officials knew almost from the start that Canada geese were responsible for the incident, both because of Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger's radio report and because few other types of birds flock at that altitude in the mid-Atlantic.

But on Monday, the eve of a three-day National Transportation Safety Board hearing into the crash, the Smithsonian announced that sophisticated scientific techniques allowed them to conclude that the Flight 1549 birds were Canada geese from Labrador, Canada, and were significantly different from geese in New York City.

Museum scientists said molecular study of feathers found in the engines leads them to believe the birds had probably nested in Labrador in the summer of 2008 and migrated to the New York region for the winter. On the day of the crash, Smithsonian wildlife biologist Peter Marra said, the ground was covered with snow, and the flock was probably on a short flight south looking for clear ground or water on which to for
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Regarding this topic, somebody posted to the NY Daily News that while the gassing of geese has a good intent, to protect aircraft, using the same logic, we should shoot all wildlife that crosses highways (moose,deer) and causes collisions up in the suburban areas. He suggested that engines should be built to withstand a bird strike. It is surprising to the general public that a flying goose could cause a jet engine to tear-up. Maybe this should be studied rather than just gassing the birds. Also, birds in flight cannot be rounded-up to be gassed so the procedure is mostly useless in my opinion. This is a serious problem that deserves further study. Incidentally, I am no lover of geese. When visiting Prospect Park, whenever I approach the Lake, 1 or 2 geese usually come after me. Maybe they're trying to protect their turf or their young.

I don't understand why they don't round them up and give them for food to the homeless shelters. It is excellent meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    Regarding this topic, somebody posted to the NY Daily News that while the gassing of geese has a good intent, to protect aircraft, using the same logic, we should shoot all wildlife that crosses highways (moose,deer) and causes collisions up in the suburban areas. He suggested that engines should be built to withstand a bird strike. It is surprising to the general public that a flying goose could cause a jet engine to tear-up. Maybe this should be studied rather than just gassing the birds. Also, birds in flight cannot be rounded-up to be gassed so the procedure is mostly useless in my opinion. This is a serious problem that deserves further study. Incidentally, I am no lover of geese. When visiting Prospect Park, whenever I approach the Lake, 1 or 2 geese usually come after me. Maybe they're trying to protect their turf or their young.
    Engines ARE built to be able to withstand birds, but geese, Canadian ones especially, are fairly large. You can't expect any complex engine or machinery to be able to withstand a small being into it without having problems.

As for the highway animals...I totally agree! I would gladly mount a M-60 E3 on the hood of my car to clear the way of pending deer collisions!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Altitude9
    I don't understand why they don't round them up and give them for food to the homeless shelters. It is excellent meat.
    Probably because it is cheaper to provide Food Stamps and also less likely for a homeless person to sue the Feds, City State, should they become ill and claim it is from a goose, but yeah, I get your point though.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    Engines ARE built to be able to withstand birds, but geese, Canadian ones especially, are fairly large. You can't expect any complex engine or machinery to be able to withstand a small being into it without having problems.

As for the highway animals...I totally agree! I would gladly mount a M-60 E3 on the hood of my car to clear the way of pending deer collisions!
    Yes, it was pretty much of a freak accident. Bird strikes happen frequently.

In fact, however unlikely, it could be a bald eagle or golden eagle next time.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I am amused to all these stories of birds attacking people.

I've been bitten by a duck once, bitten by both Garder snakes & Northern Water snakes, bitten by a praying mantis, bitten by a dragon fly, stung by bees, wasps & hornets, pinched by crabs, stung by jellyfish, etc. but these are uncommon occurrences, and actually rather rare if you keep your distance.

The most common animal attack on humans, (including young children/toddlers) both minor and serious, in urban areas or suburbs, are from man's best friend; canines - generally owned by your neighbors. I would not be surprised if the most disease from an animal, minor or major, in urban area or suburbs are from canines feces left uncollected by your neighbors who don't pick up after them. Its easy to say pigeons or rats, but not so sure...

NYC had to actually pass a "law" for that... for those that don't "get it" - and believe me, they are legion....

btw, I like dogs as well..

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

From the Times:

A nine-page report put together by a variety of national, state and city agencies shows that officials hope to reduce the number of Canada geese in New York to 85,000 from 250,000.

That means that roughly 170,000 geese — two-thirds of the population — will be killed.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...nada-geese/?hp
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com