Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First Speeding Ticket, in NY No Less

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Re: My First Speeding Ticket, in NY No Less

The Driver Responsibility Assessment Fee (DRAP) penalizes drivers for three years when they accumulate 6 or more points within an 18 month period or are convicted of an alcohol or drug related offense. The defensive driving class will not avoid the DRAP.

So it looks like Mario was going at a nice clip on the Clearview Expressway that day :mrgreen: That explains 6 pts right there.

I still enjoy my speeding. I just do it when the coast is clear and in spurts. Love to accelerate.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Matt, welcome to the site. Considering your useful contribution to the conversation, I don't mind the plug!

Looks like Mario was caught speeding more than once. ;)
    Thanks Phil. My pleasure to help. There were a few inaccuracies in this string which triggered me to set the record straight.

And Mario, be careful. If you are convicted of three speeding tickets within 18 months, it is an automatic revocation of license for 6 months.

Matthew Weiss, Esq.

First, thanks for hte clarification, Matt.

Looks like Mario was caught speeding more than once.
    Nope. Only about 2 tickets in over 15 years. But I think I was doing 81 on the Clearview.....so that was a 6 pointer right there. I figured since it was called the Clearview...... ;)

SO.....its a been a busy week here.....

new update. A week ago today, I had a day off with the kids by myself....same as today actually. So I took the kids in to see Mommy at work as a surprise. Afterwards, I took them to a beach in Huntington.

I was in an exploratory mood so we ventured forth to Hobart beach in Huntington. I found that it was a complete Pain in the tush to get to and its easier to get to Gilgo from now on.....

but back on topic, the route to Hobart beach is 2 lane narrow streets and the posted limit was 30.
    Its north of Northport village for those of you who know where that is.

Wouldnt you know it but as soon as the car ahead of me turned, I sped to 45 and as I neared the crest of a hill, I see an SUV with a man popping out on the opposite side. I realize he's a cop and he hand motions me to the side....

"Dont you know you were going 45 in a 30?"

"Im sorry but I didnt see a posted limit." ...Dumb mistake in saying sorry....

"license and registration." He walks back across the street to his SUV....

As he sits inside, I yell across the way, "Would it be too late to ask for a warning?..."

"What?"

"Would it be too late to ask for a warning?"

He cracks a smile and says, "Now why would I want to do that?"

Well....I wasnt expecting that.... So I paused a few seconds and responded...

"It's just that its my day off with the kids before the holiday, you know?"

"....OK. Lets see;"

5 long minutes go by.....You ever notice that time goes slow when you are a kid, faster as an adult... but when you're pulled over by a cop, its slows to a crawl once more???

"You got a clean license?" I pause. its been at least 5 years since my last ticket, so its really a question of relativity.

"Yes."

A few more minutes trickle by and he walks back across the street and hands me this, saying, "Look, I was going to give you a warning anyway but next time, dont ask the cops for a warning b/c it just tends to get them angry." Wow, so a warning and good advice to remember. Thanks!

We bid each other a good weekend and that was that. The rest of the way to Hobart, I put the friggin truck into cruise control at 30 and everyone rode my bumper. So that said, although I live in huntington town, from now on, its the south shore beaches for me. Faster to get to via highways.

SO.....the question of relativity, IS my license clean if I have not had a ticket in 5+ years?
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

Oh dear, Asharoken...sorry to hear. They will pull you over if you are doing 31. Not very friendly to outsiders, usually. I'll take my motorcycle out to Hobart on occasion because it's pretty deserted in the evening, but keeping it at 30 is a quite a difficult thing to do. Check out their entry on this website:

http://www.angelfire.com/ny/davekappesq/speedtraps.html
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie

So it looks like Mario was going at a nice clip on the Clearview Expressway that day :mrgreen: That explains 6 pts right there.

I still enjoy my speeding. I just do it when the coast is clear and in spurts. Love to accelerate.
    I'd use that as your next defense ;)

Sincerly
    Tom Alfano, BA, MBA, BS in BS.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

SO.....the question of relativity, IS my license clean if I have not had a ticket in 5+ years?
    love the story, for some reason i could honestly picture your convo. i'm not sure if can say you have a clean license if you've had even one ticket, but not being penalized in 5 years would probably be fair to say.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Last I heard it was 40 months. I can ask my mom she would know.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

No joke. Seriously, if I had any thoughts of moving to Ashroken, the driving alone would kill it right there.

Nick, please ask.

Very interesting link. I learned quite a bit!

Nick, please ask.
    Mario if you haven't been convicted of a moving violation in 60 months your license is clean but I will ask her next time I speak to her.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Thanks. I figured 5+ years was a very safe bet.

And on top of that I usually do my defensive driving (whether or not I needs a point reduction.)

GLad to see the officer was understanding though. And surprised to get advice too!

I can't believed you asked him for a warning. haha
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thanks. I figured 5+ years was a very safe bet.

And on top of that I usually do my defensive driving (whether or not I needs a point reduction.)

GLad to see the officer was understanding though. And surprised to get advice too!
    The two agencies that scrutinize your driving record are NYS and your insurance company. The more powerful of the two, NYS gives you 11 points in an 18 month period. If you get 12 points in any 18 month period you lose your license. You insurance company considers points you have within a 36-39 month span and of course can effect your premiums.

For a State that seems to be so anti-planespotting, New Jersey sure does love taking photos of my airplane registration vanity plate!

I got a letter in the mail from EZ Pass because it apparently didn't read my EZ Pass on the NJ Turnpike recently. I'm fighting it because I had it all set up and there should not have been a problem.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].