Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Speeding Ticket, in NY No Less

My First Speeding Ticket, in NY No Less

As they say, there's a first for everything. One came today in the form of a ticket.

I've never been pulled over, or gotten a ticket...until today.

It definitely seems like the end of the month; I saw nine state troopers on a 120 mile stretch of interstate that rarely sees even one.

I had already spotted two speed traps way before I reached them, and skirted past both of them just fine. I'm usually a very cop-concious driver, probably why this is my first ticket. I'm very wary of "U-Turn points" on the highway and slow down before them, and usually drive with a pack going the same speed. However, I-90 traffic can get very sparse. On top of that, I'm driving a car that I've never driven before (friend was too tired to drive), and found myself constantly inching up to 80-90MPH without realizing if I didn't constantly check the speedometer. I was also in the midst of a couple work zones that were devoid of road workers with equipment and cones moved out of the road and might've been in a 55MPH zone; I'm not sure.

I was in the process of passing a car when I suddenly noticed the two cars ahead of me change to the right lane. At that point, I was aware I was going 79/80. Instinctively, I glanced in the rearview and a state trooper was on my tail. I immediately flicked on my blinker to get to the right lane, and as soon as I did, he turned on his lights. The officer told me I was going 78-79 and that he'd put me down for 75. I thanked him and he was on his way. From when I pulled over until when I got back on the road, it took a maximum of ten minutes, maybe even five. I was surprised how efficient he was. I wonder how many cars he's pulled over in NY with CT plates and a driver with a Jersey license.

Anyone know how much speeding fines are in NY?

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

Re: My First Speeding Ticket, in NY No Less

IIRC, you are looking at $125 plus a $300 vehicle driver assessment fee.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Yikes. Mario are you sure? I can't imagine a "simple" speeding ticket actually costing $425. What's the assessment fee? I never heard of that.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I'd def go to court and take the chance the officer will not show so the ticket is thrown out. I would have also told the Officer when he pulled you over that you were doing no more then 55 and he was mistaken. The cost of the ticket is nothing compared to what your insurance rates will go up per year. I'd def go to court and see if it can get thrown out.

I dont recall my actual fine, as I last got a speeding ticket back in.....prior to 2005. I was living in Queens and got nailed for speesding on the Clearview Expressway.

I didnt fight it b/c at the time, I simply did not have the time to. I paid the fine, which was around $100. But at the time that I got it, NY had JUST added a $300 Driver assessment surcharge that went into effect a month prior the ticket.

So unless that law was changed, you're looking at a fine plus $300.

As Tom said, I WOULD fight it and aim to get it reduced.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/In ... icket.aspx
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    IIRC, you are looking at $125 plus a $300 vehicle driver assessment fee.
    plus points...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Yikes. Mario are you sure? I can't imagine a "simple" speeding ticket actually costing $425. What's the assessment fee? I never heard of that.
    just another way for the state to make money. not sure how it works, my experience has been $100 per point.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I dont even recall the points since i take a Defensive driving course and that wipes them out.

ButI do recall that $300 tack on vividly. Reason being that you could pay it in 1 shot or in 3 installments. I chose installments, hoping they'd screw it up and I'd get lost in the system. Didnt happen 8)

BUT you can fight and win. I fought a minor ticket, my inspection expired and less than 24 hours later, I got a ticket in Astoria. Got the car inspected the next day, sent all documents with a letter and the ticket was dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    plus points...
    Not sure if he get points - he said he has a NJ license, it would be up to them.

BTW, NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NY-licensed drivers in other jurisdictions, except for alcohol or drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario (due to a special agreement between NY and those provinces.)

I don't know about my NY record, but in NJ, I would get two points for my moving violation in NY.

From the NYS DMV,
    Quote Originally Posted by NYS DMV
    You must pay the driver responsibility assessment if any of the following incidents occur:

* you are convicted of an alcohol-related traffic violation and the violation occurred in NYS on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
    * you are convicted of a drug-related traffic violation and the violation occurred in NYS on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
    * a DMV hearing determines that you refused a chemical test and the refusal occurred in NYS on or after November 18, 2004 (includes boats and snowmobiles); or
    * you receive six or more points on your NYS driver record during a period of 18 months and the violations occurred in NYS, Quebec or Ontario on or after November 18, 2004.
    I don't violate any of those; is that the same assessment?

From

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/drp.htm

first para:

A change to the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law requires drivers who are convicted of specific traffic violations to pay an assessment to the DMV. The Driver Responsibility Program applies to all drivers who operate, or operated, a motor vehicle in the State of New York, regardless of the state the motorist is licensed in. The purpose of the Driver Responsibility Program is to prevent the repeated behavior of problem drivers and to improve traffic safety.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Not sure if he get points - he said he has a NJ license, it would be up to them.

BTW, NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NY-licensed drivers in other jurisdictions, except for alcohol or drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario (due to a special agreement between NY and those provinces.)
    strange, because a buddy of mine got points on his CA license for speeding in NY and VA. i was charged a drivers assessment fee for a stop sign ticket i got in CA. not sayin' you're wrong just that my experiences point in the opposite direction.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

strange, because a buddy of mine got points on his CA license for speeding in NY and VA. i was charged a drivers assessment fee for a stop sign ticket i got in CA. not sayin' you're wrong just that my experiences point in the opposite direction.
    It is up to the individual states - apparently CA does record violations on their drivers that happen in other states. Did NYS charge you the fee, or was it CA? Did you get points on your NYS license for the CA ticket?

Here is the info, direct from NYSDMV:
    http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmvfaqs.htm#tickets
    If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?
    The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    It is up to the individual states - apparently CA does record violations on their drivers that happen in other states. Did NYS charge you the fee, or was it CA? Did you get points on your NYS license for the CA ticket?
    in both cases NY charged the fee. yes i received points on my NY license for the CA ticket, though it was 2 instead of 3 given here.

This is only a 3-point speeding ticket. In New York, 1-10 points over is 3 points (yours is a 75/65). 11-20 is 4 points, 21-30 is 6 points, 31-40 is 8 points, and 41+ is 11 points.

The Driver Responsibility Assessment Fee (DRAP) penalizes drivers for three years when they accumulate 6 or more points within an 18 month period or are convicted of an alcohol or drug related offense. The defensive driving class will not avoid the DRAP.

Motorists with an alcohol or drug-related offense must pay $250/year for three years, and motorists with 6 (or more) points within 18 months must pay $100/year for three years for 6 points plus $25/year for three years for each additional point.

I hope this clears up some of the misconceptions written in this string.

Feel free to email me with specific questions or for advice.

Best,

Matt
    http://www.nytrafficticket.com

Matt, welcome to the site. Considering your useful contribution to the conversation, I don't mind the plug!

Looks like Mario was caught speeding more than once. ;)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].