Thread: New Rule: Low Quality Posts

New Rule: Low Quality Posts

Please read the following newly-added rule:

Low Quality Posts. Replies that add little to a post (examples are posts solely consisting of comments such as: "Great Shot" or "Wow!") are fine, as we all like to lend support to other member's photos and postings. However, when these posts occur in blasts (flooding), or when they make up a significant percentage of the member's overall posting habits, moderators may take action ranging from post deletion or ban. (revision 6/12/10)
    Low quality posts affect the overall quality of the forum's content, and our reputation as an organization.

None of you here should be worried or hesitant to make short posts that only say "Amazing photo!" or "Great news!". Such posts show support and acknowledgment to the previous poster. However, the flooding of the forums with these to where there are a dozen made within an hour, or two dozen in a day, cannot be allowed and is considered to create an annoying environment.

No one wants to log-in to see that there is one person that made the last 15 replies to every active thread, and did so with no more than a three-word reply. We've had one temporary ban initiated recently as a result.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if the rule requires any clarification or revision.

Thank you all!

-Phil
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Re: New Rule: Low Quality Posts

Great post :D (Sorry I had to)

If the issue that you are trying to combat is people judging on the history/worthiness or standing of other forum members by the number of post by that member and a majority of them are "Nice pics" Etc. you can consider adding a member rating program where members can vote or possibly demerit other members specific posts and each member gets a reputation standing. There are other forums out there that use these systems.

I am cool with the rule :D But There are so many talented people with so much skill and knowledge that I for one wouldn't presume to assess their "worthiness" by the number of posts they have- planelove seems to present a valid method of dealing with "low quality posts"

Ken

At one point we actually did have a rating system, but I didn't want to create an environment where one member can be considered "better" or more valuable than someone else. The goal with this rule is to prevent people from flooding the forums without actually saying anything. It's not common and is for more extreme circumstances.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

So is this rule like an unofficial cap on how many "low quality" replies can be made to one specific topic or more geared to limit individual members "low quality post" count.

Will a person be flagged or warned when they are in danger of reaching their limit?

ken

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn
    Will a person be flagged or warned when they are in danger of reaching their limit?

ken
    I don't think NYCA staff is going to check every single account and then keep a tally of how many times you said "Good Job" ect;

I just think they don't want you to go to the photography forum and in every topic mindlessly "Nice Shot" or "Good Job" just to rack up your post count. They just want you to have meaning in each post.

That's my take on it anyway.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

It's not a common occurrence, and is geared at preventing members from making it a habitual thing. While there's nothing wrong with replying to a thread with "great post" or "great shot" or the like, it becomes a problem when post a user posts similar quality and content over-and-over again in a short amount of time in threads all throughout the forums.

Like Phil said, don't hesitate to post on the boards or if there's a thread or photo you really like to comment on it, even if it's "great shot" - just don't post that for every thread in every forum. For 99% of you, this is a non-issue, and you shouldn't read too much into it or think twice about your posting. No one is going to be counting posts, or becoming a "post quality measurer". If it ever does become a concern or issue, the NYCA staff/moderators would bring it up privately in a PM or the like before any public action was taken.

So... continue posting! But, just don't leave me too many "Great post" replies to this!!! /sarcasm

I know myself when I look at some of the great photos on here, if I choose to reply I'm not sure what else to post.
    Train as if your life depends on it. Because some day it may.
    Opinions expressed are my own & not those of my employer.

No one should worry too much about this. We're just posting the rule as a heads up. As Clark said, 99.8% of you are fine. The other .2% (one person) was recently spoken to and, as a last resort, given a short time out.

It's not something we like to do, and in the event anyone gets close to running afoul of this again, we're not going to ban you on a whim...we'll give you a friendly reminder long before it comes to that.

So please continue posting away. :-)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Great rule Phil!!!!
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....